Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that "someone" was me.

Here's the photo, of Vine Street looking east from 15th after the widening project from that point to Ridge Avenue was completed in 1955:

and here's the article I wrote that included it, arguing that we should do to Roosevelt Boulevard what we did to Vine Street:

A Case for an Urban Expressway | Hidden City Philadelphia

However, I do think capping the expressway is a good idea from an urban-fabric standpoint. There are completely buried and capped urban freeways in a number of cities around the world, including under the National Mall in Washington. There's nothing inherent in underground freeway design that makes clearing accidents more difficult - as long as there's adequate space for moving breakdowns out of the way of traffic (i.e., shoulders or breakdown lanes in the tunnels - a feature lacking in underwater freeway tunnels because of the expense but not at all uncommon in underground ones). After all, we don't use cranes from above to remove the wrecked cars; the same tow trucks that operate on the surface or the elevated structure do the job down below, no matter whether it's blue sky or artificial lighting and tile above them. Tunnels may be a turnoff for the claustrophobic, but the same can be said for rail subways, and I much prefer those to their elevated counterparts too. (Not to mention that between stations, the subways are darker, which makes evacuation in an emergency - a situation I was in once - a little scarier.)

(Edited to add: Images from PhillyHistory.org, the city Records Department's photo archive, may be reposted on other sites with acknowledgement.)
+5

Thanks.

Capping could work if they could widen the expressway to provide the room for clearing wreckage/disabled vehicles. Can you imagine the disaster for an unknown period of time? They found an unknown, abandoned cemetery last time. Who knows what they'd find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I cross at 11th most of the time.
I don't find that difficult to navigate at all.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:06 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
A high rise is suppose to go there. It was announced last year.
You're thinking of the NW corner of 10th and Vine ... There's a little pagoda on 10th, directly over the highway. It COULD be nice ...

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 05-02-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 04:23 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
+5

Thanks.

Capping could work if they could widen the expressway to provide the room for clearing wreckage/disabled vehicles. Can you imagine the disaster for an unknown period of time? They found an unknown, abandoned cemetery last time. Who knows what they'd find.
I haven't looked through all the comments, but you are aware that the phase 1 of the vine street expressway capping is wrapping up construction. It looks good. Penndot needs to light the area in the tunnel way better.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4190/3...38e07331_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2901/3...9332916b_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2820/3...f34c90ef_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2942/3...a027fca6_b.jpg

Old 05-03-2017, 01:29 PM

35 posts, read 57,440 times
I was looking on Curbed and I saw a post about CC's newest residential buildings.

https://philly.curbed.com/maps/new-p...-for-sale-rent

9th and Washington caught my eye and the renderings remind me of some of the residential buildings in Brooklyn

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6453...7i13312!8i6656

Any thoughts on the design and has anyone heard anything about this project moving forward. I for one am excited by the design and I hope we see more buildings like it

Old 05-03-2017, 01:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
1) What kind of relationship do you have with Bob Brady? None, right? Unless you do you won't get anywhere with your political ambitions in the immediate future. But, since, I'm actually very happy you are, at least, taking a stab at it aim for a council - person-at-large post first. Or try to run against Brian Simms for the state legislature. He needs some competition, imo.

I don't have any kind of relationship with Bob Brady yet; however, I'm working to change that. I have been pretty active when it comes to getting to know and converse with people who are working to make a difference in this city. Since I am moving to the city in 28 days, I think that I will be able to do a lot more. I will be able to attend many more events without having to worry about the Media/Elwyn Line schedule.

2) I'm hopeful that the Rail Park will help to change the very character of the area around/near the VSE east. Isn't there a developer who has bought up a lot of property surrounding the route of the Rail Park?

I believe that company is called Arts and Crafts Holdings. I imagine that they are not the only player in that area, but they are the first company that comes to mind.

3)Have you looked at the philly curbed article about possible development on N. Broad St? Lots of interesting stuff.
Yes I have! I regularly walk down North Broad (usually from Montgomery to Walnut Street for my Wawa fix) after class. The article does a good job of painting a picture of the energy that is engulfing North Broad. I believe that the stretch from City Hall to Erie will return to greatness within my lifetime. North Broad from Hunting Park to about Stenton Avenue also has potential to be revitalized, but it may take a little longer.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:05 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post
I was looking on Curbed and I saw a post about CC's newest residential buildings.

9th and Washington caught my eye and the renderings remind me of some of the residential buildings in Brooklyn
Wrt #17. The garage at that site has been closed for about a month so there may be some progress there soon.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:32 PM

35 posts, read 57,440 times
Exciting news. Glad to see this project moving forward, I think this one will bring a lot of people to North Broad and spur a lot of revitalization

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/5/4/1...ction-timelime

Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car0401 View Post

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6453...7i13312!8i6656

Any thoughts on the design and has anyone heard anything about this project moving forward. I for one am excited by the design and I hope we see more buildings like it
I live in the neighborhood and am excited by the design at 9th and Washington. That so badly needs to be redone/built. It's been a mess for a long time.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM

88 posts, read 111,395 times
Since the late 60s it's been a no-brainer to predict the revitalization of Philadelphia's neighborhoods. In fits and starts dependant on the economy, it's followed lines north and south of CC. Olde City... then Northern Libs... Fishtown... Port Richmond... Bridesburg. That's where, on the north side, it hits a snag. Heading south, the area is physically more cohesive and more accessible to CC so the revitalization went a bit quicker.

The big problem going forward is the vast wasteland of Kensington and Frankford. After Philco and other factories left, the working class was pushed out by waves of the poor, largely subsidized by Section 8, and the whole area went to hell in no time.

Unlike Fishtown and the eastern half of Port Richmond which held their original demographic populations until gentrification arrived, the post-grad yuppies and artists who are the usual vanguard of urban renewal will have a more difficult time cracking Kensington, where they'll face a huge unfriendly population with a macho, alien culture they're protective of, who harbor a prideful grudge against Anglos.

By the time Kensington is ready for a true rennaisance, it'll be so bombed out (like the South Bronx of yesteryear) that whole blocks will have to be bulldozed and major developments will replace the blocks of rowhomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia