Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 10:35 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Do you have actual proof or studies to support this statement? Yes, there is an outflow from New York to Philadelphia, but the "blame New Yorkers" mantra is beyond exaggerated... Philadelphia is a dynamic growing city, and New Yorkers relocating is one small piece of the pie.

As an FYI, most of the super lux condos popping up around Center City are purchased by wealthy suburbanites relocating into the city.

Most New Yorkers (and now DC'ers) I know relocating to Philadelphia are upper middle class earners ($100k salaries) purchasing $400-$600k homes. I see no problem with that, I welcome that demographic, the city certainly needs more of it.

While Philadelphia is growing, it is hardly busting at the seams. Maybe people aren't used to this level of growth and change, therefore they revert to negativity?
1) I think that piece on the fitness center opening on the street floor of The Laurel that you shared in the retail thread states at the end that the bulk of buyers in that building are coming from a three-block radius around it. I did find that a most interesting statistic, for it suggests that there are a lot of flush-with-money Rittenhouse residents looking for a major upgrade of their digs (or at least their views). Now, who will buy the places they're leaving?

2) Drexel real estate guru Kevin Gillen said this in my August column on the current frenzied city real estate market:

Quote:
Besides, he says, certain fundamentals of the regional economy mean the merry-go-round will have to come to a stop: “It can’t continue for the very simple reason that prices can’t grow faster than their fundamentals can justify indefinitely, particularly relative to incomes and population growth.” Put another way, unless the stream of New Yorkers moving here turns into a flood, it will be difficult for house prices to sustain their current levels based on how many Philadelphians are in the market and what they can afford.
I'd interpret that to say that yes, those in-migrants are helping to prop up prices higher than they might otherwise be, those filthy rich Rittenhouse residents notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 01:39 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Do you have actual proof or studies to support this statement? Yes, there is an outflow from New York to Philadelphia, but the "blame New Yorkers" mantra is beyond exaggerated... Philadelphia is a dynamic growing city, and New Yorkers relocating is one small piece of the pie.

As an FYI, most of the super lux condos popping up around Center City are purchased by wealthy suburbanites relocating into the city.

Most New Yorkers (and now DC'ers) I know relocating to Philadelphia are upper middle class earners ($100k salaries) purchasing $400-$600k homes. I see no problem with that, I welcome that demographic, the city certainly needs more of it.

While Philadelphia is growing, it is hardly busting at the seams. Maybe people aren't used to this level of growth and change, therefore they revert to negativity?
Yup, just your run of the mill blue-collar conservative, aka Negadelphian. Thankfully their ilk are being phased out each passing year.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:51 PM

1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Yup, just your run of the mill blue-collar conservative, aka Negadelphian. Thankfully their ilk are being phased out each passing year.
Why do you want to see Philadelphia's tax base shrink?

Old 08-19-2021, 06:16 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,190,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Why do you want to see Philadelphia's tax base shrink?
I pretty sure that's not what that poster wants. They're just saying they rather replace the Negadelphian types with people that are more appreciative of what the city offers and more optimistic of the direction of the city although there is a need of improvement.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:12 PM

1,026 posts, read 448,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Responding to the Census was extended but the question on the census form asks where you reside on 4/1/2020.
Another thread poster said it was extended until 10/31/20; I did mine on time but, despite this 4/1/20 date on the form.

The response time was extended, not the ''date'' of the census. The response was extended until July 15 initially, then it went into October.

The question still ask ''how many people lived in your household on April 1, 2020? You just had more time to send it in.

So if you mailed it in on July 15 and now live in say, Pittsburgh, you may have lived in Philly on 4/1/20 and it counts as a Philly resident.

This makes sense because,, for example, a lot of people left New York last year....after April 1,2020.

Last edited by MPK21; 08-19-2021 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 04:56 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I pretty sure that's not what that poster wants. They're just saying they rather replace the Negadelphian types with people that are more appreciative of what the city offers and more optimistic of the direction of the city although there is a need of improvement.
Yeah, sarcasm.

Funny thing is, as negative as I am, I do more in my free time to help make the city a nicer place than all the cheerleaders on this forum combined.

That poster doesn't even live in Philadelphia ... he/she lives in Cheltenham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia