Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 08:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

The Official census results shows the city of Philadelphia now has a population of over 1.6 million people. The city added almost 80,000 people in the last decade making it one of the fastest growing cities in the entire Northeast region.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210812.html

Here are the 2020 racial demographics for the city
Black: 38.3%
White: 34.3%
Hispanic: 15%
Asian: 8.3%
Other groups: 4.3%

I'm personally happy for the city as this is the biggest population gain since 1950. Philly has caught up and we are now almost even in population with Phoenix, AZ. It might even be possible that Philadelphia could surpass Phoenix in population again within the next few years now as Philly has finally starting to hit its stride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 08:16 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Phoenix doesn't count. We're ahead of them in Urban area and Metro area, things that matter when measuring an actual city. Plus they're only ahead of us by >10k people. Kensington was undercounted anyway.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:57 AM

463 posts, read 206,691 times
Unfortunately, Phoenix does count. Officially. Doesn't make sense to me though, because the land area is absolutely massive. At the end of the day, I can't imagine that metro will continue to expand as desertification continues to expand as well. Tomorrow's wars and values will be strictly attached to water and arable land.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:34 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Phoenix doesn't count. We're ahead of them in Urban area and Metro area, things that matter when measuring an actual city. Plus they're only ahead of us by >10k people. Kensington was undercounted anyway.
You think all those illegal aliens in Phoenix were counted?

Old 08-14-2021, 09:26 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Unfortunately, Phoenix does count. Officially. Doesn't make sense to me though, because the land area is absolutely massive. At the end of the day, I can't imagine that metro will continue to expand as desertification continues to expand as well. Tomorrow's wars and values will be strictly attached to water and arable land.
It does and it doesn’t. Yes, Phoenix now has more people within its city limits than Philadelphia, but who cares? As you both seem to agree, it’s a completely different kind of city. I’m pleased that Philadelphia has re-broken 1.6M, which I didn’t necessarily expect.

I’m sure water will factor in at some point, but my understanding is that Arizona (and Nevada, for that matter) has plenty at its disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
You think all those illegal aliens in Phoenix were counted?
Probably not. I would imagine that Census undercounts are more pronounced in the Southwest and West.

Old 08-14-2021, 11:21 AM

I'm also excited that Philly is becoming even more racially diverse in its demographics as the Hispanic and Asian populations are growing fast.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:35 PM

79 posts, read 43,066 times
Quote:
I agree with both of you! I never really looked at Phoenix as a real city, it's like a big suburban town. However, on the books it's an official sun belt city with official pro sports teams. I used to be a Nash fan when he played for them.

Quote:
I agree with you too. I think the only reason people flock there is because of the space since it's not dense, the safety(less crime), and the weather. I hate to downplay PHX, but what is there really to do there? It's overcast by its neighboring sun belt cities when it comes to tourism, and diversity. Folks care more about LA, SF, OAK, SD, LV, and SA than PHX. PHX isn't even diverse! You're gonna encounter the same people all day long. Lol we gotta get that 5th spot back.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Funny thing is, Phoenix like Houston before it has annexed land of nearby populated towns that were already established.

That's probably a bit easier to do than rely on organic growth of people voluntarily moving into the city limits and starting fresh there.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:19 PM

79 posts, read 43,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Funny thing is, Phoenix like Houston before it has annexed land of nearby populated towns that were already established.

That's probably a bit easier to do than rely on organic growth of people voluntarily moving into the city limits and starting fresh there.
I know it's not a competition, but that's almost like cheating their way up the ranks. Lol. Why don't we just add in Upper Darby, Bala Cynwyd, and Neshaminy. Lol it's even funnier because the census were way off with their projected 2019 numbers of Phoenix, NY, and Chicago. They estimated PHX at 1.680, NY at 1.833, and Chicago at less 2.693. Lol but the raw numbers has us neck & neck with PHX, at 1.603mil to 1.608 million. Lol with NY at 8.8mil, and Chicago at 2.746. By 2025 I'd say NY, and LA will be at 9mil, and 4mil respectively.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:06 PM

If the city will try to fixed half its problems, it will only accelerate the growth rate and potentially make Philadelphia one of the fastest growing cities in the entire country. The city is already rivaling growth rates to when it was reaching 2 million in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia