Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 03:39 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Are you trying to say the violent crime epidemic in the inner-cities is law enforcement and the pro-second amendment crowd's fault?
Never said that at all. Just that they are absolutely factors in stopping the violent crime epidemic.

If the far left is at fault for DAs like Larry Krasner, then the far right is just as culpable for pretending that unfettered access to lethal weapons doesn't play a starring role in the frequency of constant shootings.

Both sides of the political spectrum put their proverbial heads in the sand on this issue and point fingers at each other, when they're both at fault.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:47 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Never said that at all. Just that they are absolutely factors in stopping the violent crime epidemic.

If the far left is at fault for DAs like Larry Krasner, then the far right is just as culpable for pretending that unfettered access to lethal weapons doesn't play a starring role in the frequency of constant shootings.

Both sides of the political spectrum put their proverbial heads in the sand on this issue and point fingers at each other, when they're both at fault.
I know quite a few gun people and they all agree that the gun laws should be upheld and people should be punished for carrying guns without a permit. The vast majority of gun crimes in Philadelphia aren't committed by people with a CCP.

How is it their fault that criminals don't obey the law?

Old 05-21-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I know quite a few gun people and they all agree that the gun laws should be upheld and people should be punished for carrying guns without a permit. The vast majority of gun crimes in Philadelphia aren't committed by people with a CCP.

How is it their fault that criminals don't obey the law?
Again, not what I'm saying or implying.

I'm not blaming law-abiding gun owners, or anyone other than a perpetrator, directly for a crime. But gun rights absolutists don't believe gun access has anything to do with the propensity to obtain a weapon for an unlawfully and violent event. That's ludicrous.

And yes, there are plenty of cases where weapons obtained lawfully have been used in crimes through loopholes and private sales. This is far more common than many realize.

The long term goal should of course be to eliminate criminal intent and thoroughly indoctrinate high-risk youth with conflict management skills. But until that day comes, the bar for obtaining a deadly weapon absolutely needs to be higher for the sake of humanity.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:15 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
My father had 'the talk' with me about respecting the police AND about what neighborhoods to avoid. White people get shot by police, too, it's not unique to blacks and browns.

Why do some white people want to keep telling black people that they're 'oppressed'? Why do they think black people are 'less than'? Does it make them feel superior? My guess is 'yes.' It's sickening ... they don't need help from guilt-ridden fools.

It really isn't helping.
Minor nit to pick:

Many Blacks who say they're still being oppressed come to that conclusion with no help at all from white folks. (Or, alternatively, those white folks who have helped them reach that conclusion aren't those saying Blacks are oppressed but those attempting the oppressing.)

I have beef with those who act as though nothing has changed since the end of Reconstruction, but even those of us who, like I do most of the time, prefer to point to the great strides made in this country since World War II acknowledge that there are ways that racism is "baked into" social institutions and practices. I also am prone to point out that the "conservative movement" (a phrase I consider oxymoronic) put itself on the wrong side of the central question of the second half of the 20th century when it counted, and it hasn't completely been able to wipe the dust of white supremacy off its shoulders. (I know some who would say it hasn't even tried. People like Thomas Sowell IMO provide evidence to the contrary, but I can see why the other position also continues to make some sense.)

And when it comes to the subject of policing, anyone who doesn't understand why getting rid of the John McNesbys of the police world and their attitudes towards fighting crime (or is it fighting the people they're supposed to protect?) is an imperative is part of the problem.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not blaming law-abiding gun owners, or anyone other than a perpetrator, directly for a crime. But gun rights absolutists don't believe gun access has anything to do with the propensity to obtain a weapon for an unlawfully and violent event. That's ludicrous.

And yes, there are plenty of cases where weapons obtained lawfully have been used in crimes through loopholes and private sales. This is far more common than many realize.

The long term goal should of course be to eliminate criminal intent and thoroughly indoctrinate high-risk youth with conflict management skills. But until that day comes, the bar for obtaining a deadly weapon absolutely needs to be higher for the sake of humanity.
I'm glad to see that you can blame the criminals for their actions.

How common is it in Philadelphia for otherwise law-abiding citizens with a CCP to commit crimes with their legally purchased gun?

What loopholes are people using to buy guns? How are people using private sellers to 'lawfully' purchase a gun they otherwise wouldn't be able to get from a gun shop?

Old 05-22-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Minor nit to pick:

Many Blacks who say they're still being oppressed come to that conclusion with no help at all from white folks. (Or, alternatively, those white folks who have helped them reach that conclusion aren't those saying Blacks are oppressed but those attempting the oppressing.)

I have beef with those who act as though nothing has changed since the end of Reconstruction, but even those of us who, like I do most of the time, prefer to point to the great strides made in this country since World War II acknowledge that there are ways that racism is "baked into" social institutions and practices. I also am prone to point out that the "conservative movement" (a phrase I consider oxymoronic) put itself on the wrong side of the central question of the second half of the 20th century when it counted, and it hasn't completely been able to wipe the dust of white supremacy off its shoulders. (I know some who would say it hasn't even tried. People like Thomas Sowell IMO provide evidence to the contrary, but I can see why the other position also continues to make some sense.)

And when it comes to the subject of policing, anyone who doesn't understand why getting rid of the John McNesbys of the police world and their attitudes towards fighting crime (or is it fighting the people they're supposed to protect?) is an imperative is part of the problem.
John McNesby isn't the reason for the dominant culture in Philadelphia's black community. There are other problems you should be more focused on helping to eliminate.

I don't think you really care about the problems that plague the black community. I think you're just fine with the low standards in most of the neighborhoods and are more than happy to blame others for the situation. I do 'get it,' though. I truly do.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:57 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
I'm glad to see that you can blame the criminals for their actions.

How common is it in Philadelphia for otherwise law-abiding citizens with a CCP to commit crimes with their legally purchased gun?

What loopholes are people using to buy guns? How are people using private sellers to 'lawfully' purchase a gun they otherwise wouldn't be able to get from a gun shop?
Quit hiding behind statistics. It's insulting to the collective intelligence.

The sheer number of guns on the street is impossible to control. And the culture that celebrates guns and the image surrounding guns are the problem.

Where else in the world has this problem? What other country faces the ridiculous issues with violence that we face here? Yes, America was founded on citizens rising up to fight their oppressors. Yes. those patriots used their own weapons to do it. Yes, those were single-shot muskets. Automatic weapons are not mentioned in the constitution. They should be illegal outside of the military/police. Period.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Quit hiding behind statistics. It's insulting to the collective intelligence.

The sheer number of guns on the street is impossible to control. And the culture that celebrates guns and the image surrounding guns are the problem.

Where else in the world has this problem? What other country faces the ridiculous issues with violence that we face here? Yes, America was founded on citizens rising up to fight their oppressors. Yes. those patriots used their own weapons to do it. Yes, those were single-shot muskets. Automatic weapons are not mentioned in the constitution. They should be illegal outside of the military/police. Period.
100%

If the 2nd Amendment Patriots truly want to uphold the Constitution, we would only allow the type of arms that were available in 1776.

Hand in your AKs, you get a musket now!

Old 05-22-2023, 12:17 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Gotta give her credit for being ready to go.

Cherelle Parker makes first public appearance since winning the mayoral primary: ‘We need all of Philadelphia to unify’
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20230522.html

Democratic nominee for Philadelphia mayor Cherelle Parker on Monday made her first major public appearance since winning the primary election, saying during a news conference that “this is the unifying moment here in our city.”
“I don’t care who you voted for voted for, I don’t care what section of the city you live in, your zip code, what your political philosophy or ideology is,” Parker told reporters. “Our democratic process, we worked through it, we now have the results, and we need all of Philadelphia to unify in order to move our city forward.”

Parker, a former state representative and City Council majority leader, delivered her remarks Monday morning after meeting with Democratic Gov. Josh Shapiro in the Center City offices of the Stradley Ronon Stevens and Young law firm.

She said she chose the Shapiro meeting as the occasion to make her first public appearance to highlight her commitment to working with Harrisburg to achieve results for Philadelphia.

“Our message has taken hold across the city,” she said, “but most importantly in the neighborhoods and the communities who are closest to the pain of gun violence, neighborhood life, struggling schools, and quite frankly, a lack of opportunity. And with our win, to me, these communities they are now closest to the power.”

Old 05-22-2023, 01:22 PM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Gotta give her credit for being ready to go.

Cherelle Parker makes first public appearance since winning the mayoral primary: ‘We need all of Philadelphia to unify’
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20230522.html

Democratic nominee for Philadelphia mayor Cherelle Parker on Monday made her first major public appearance since winning the primary election, saying during a news conference that “this is the unifying moment here in our city.”
“I don’t care who you voted for voted for, I don’t care what section of the city you live in, your zip code, what your political philosophy or ideology is,” Parker told reporters. “Our democratic process, we worked through it, we now have the results, and we need all of Philadelphia to unify in order to move our city forward.”

Parker, a former state representative and City Council majority leader, delivered her remarks Monday morning after meeting with Democratic Gov. Josh Shapiro in the Center City offices of the Stradley Ronon Stevens and Young law firm.

She said she chose the Shapiro meeting as the occasion to make her first public appearance to highlight her commitment to working with Harrisburg to achieve results for Philadelphia.

“Our message has taken hold across the city,” she said, “but most importantly in the neighborhoods and the communities who are closest to the pain of gun violence, neighborhood life, struggling schools, and quite frankly, a lack of opportunity. And with our win, to me, these communities they are now closest to the power.”
I wish she were taking over right now, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia