Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 05:41 AM

1,026 posts, read 448,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Well it's not (just) the Black community saying it, but also the DHS some three years ago.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...eat-dhs-409236

Although it's still relatively early, three out of the five council-at-large candidates endorsed by "Reclaim Philly" are leading. Nina Ahmad isn't exactly a moderate, herself. (I don't know anything about Jim Harrity.) So while Helen Gym's showing wasn't particularly strong, the progressive "$$" or maybe just progressive voters fared well elsewhere. It must be frustrating to echo right-wing talking points in a city that isn't going Republican in the foreseeable future.
Um, who said the black community is saying that? What's the biggest violent threat to Philly's black community? what's the biggest violent threat to the black community across the U.S.? White supremacy violence and terrorism?

As if progressive $$ wasn't coming into Philly; Bernie Sanders with Gym over the weekend, endorsing a Philly mayoral primary candidate, sticking his beak into our local DA race...these are right wing talking points? If so, at least they're fact based.

Stop reading what you need and want to read. It must be frustrating to constantly misread and counter with misplaced responses and assumptions.

Philly going Republican...LOL

Last edited by MPK21; 05-17-2023 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-17-2023, 05:44 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Solid outcome, I am happily intrigued for Philadelphia's future!

If you look at breakdowns by precinct, Rhynhart followed by Domb carried Center City, and Brown was the second choice to Parker in several of her areas.
As everyone said, the general democratic base was split between those 4, and Helen Gym carried the usual gentrified spots (predictable yet funny).

I wonder what the next path is for Rhynhart, Gym, Dom, Green?

Old 05-17-2023, 06:33 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Solid outcome, I am happily intrigued for Philadelphia's future!
Same. I generally feel like it's a new day in Philadelphia. Public safety and sanitation are on the menu

Quote:
I wonder what the next path is for Rhynhart, Gym, Dom, Green?
I was wondering that too. Internet speculation is Green is going to run for DA next year with Parker's backing to send Larry K packing.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:12 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,173,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Um, who said the black community is saying that? What's the biggest violent threat to Philly's black community? what's the biggest violent threat to the black community across the U.S.? White supremacy violence and terrorism?
Well I'm not going to say that BoB violence isn't a significant threat...but there's a reason that stop and frisk policies do not currently exist. Many of us are also aware of high profile cases of police harassment and murders of unarmed Black citizens.

https://whyy.org/articles/behind-sto...-the-findings/

Quote:
As if progressive $$ wasn't coming into Philly; Bernie Sanders with Gym over the weekend, endorsing a Philly mayoral primary candidate, sticking his beak into our local DA race...these are right wing talking points? If so, at least they're fact based.
National politicians coming to endorse a local candidate is only bothersome if one doesn't like the local candidate.

RE:Right wing talking points, I was responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Lots of ''progressive'' $$ out there to support local, state, and national candidates running on this false narrative of oppression, white supremacy violence, voting rights under attack etc.
And hence the frustration encapsulated here:

Quote:
Philly going Republican...LOL
Not acknowledging the reality of the historic and ongoing conditions minimized in your quote will prevent city-wide Republican candidates from making an inroads into the city, let alone national candidates benefitting from our vote-rich town.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:51 AM

One thing that can't be yelled loud enough, and this goes for literally every person across the political spectrum: photo ops and rally sizes never ever ever matter when talking about more than a million people

Old 05-17-2023, 09:19 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,184,967 times
I am pleasantly surprised and jumping for joy! Crisis averted, indeed! I know I don't live in the city, but I feel like more people out in the burbs should take an interest in the political goings on in the city. It spills over and also just generally makes our entire region either safe and attractive to outsiders or unsafe and unattractive to outsiders.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:48 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
I think Parker's win is absolutely going to help the trajectory of Philadelphia, especially in the neighborhoods that need it most.

The more I read about her, the more apparent to me that she's the right candidate for the moment in Philadelphia. She's already being pilloried by some on the far-left as being "part of the machine," but I find that more than a little unfair.

Philadelphians (at least the ones who considered it important enough to vote) have spoken, and she deserves a chance to govern.

But as far as quality-of-life issues, I think she's going to be laser-focused. And above all, she really exudes leadership material, something desperately lacking now.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think Parker's win is absolutely going to help the trajectory of Philadelphia, especially in the neighborhoods that need it most.

The more I read about her, the more apparent to me that she's the right candidate for the moment in Philadelphia. She's already being pilloried by some on the far-left as being "part of the machine," but I find that more than a little unfair.

Philadelphians (at least the ones who considered it important enough to vote) have spoken, and she deserves a chance to govern.

But as far as quality-of-life issues, I think she's going to be laser-focused. And above all, she really exudes leadership material, something desperately lacking now.

She went to Harrisburg and came back with friends which cannot be said by many people who serve time in the state legislature. Also, the Great Philadelphian MarketStEl liked her, so that's also a +1. Like to me, every person who was on council hates Helen Gym. That seems like a major red flag because we all know what bad co-workers are like and when you wouldn't recommend someone else.

Old 05-17-2023, 07:02 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Although my candidate did not win, I am so happy for the people who backed Cherelle. The neighborhoods most effected by gun violence have spoken.

Honestly though, being so entrenched in the political machine was my main concern with her. Philadelphia needs a real shake-up. But, hearing her at the debate, I was sold on her conviction to make real change during her tenure. I was impressed by her performance. I am eager to see what she can get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I am pleasantly surprised and jumping for joy! Crisis averted, indeed! I know I don't live in the city, but I feel like more people out in the burbs should take an interest in the political goings on in the city. It spills over and also just generally makes our entire region either safe and attractive to outsiders or unsafe and unattractive to outsiders.
I agree! I am always happy when a suburbanite has a genuine interest in the city's well-being.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:47 AM

14,187 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Tom and Lindsey Scannapieco are an interesting father-daughter team.

Both are doing their part to make the city better. Tom, by building luxury high-rise apartments; Lindsey, by turning a shuttered vocational high school in South Philadelphia into a huge small business incubator with a rooftop bar to die for.

Tom explained his rationale to me thusly: "In order to advance the city, we must get the people with money interested in its welfare." And that means they need to live in it, by and large.

Lindsey is more of a "social impact" investor in that regard. But surely the revenues Bok Bar throws off help keep rents reasonable for the small businesses operating out of Bok High's former classrooms.

Tom literally put his money where his mouth is: He began by building luxury projects in the 'burbs, then moved into the city.

But you are right that folks in the 'burbs actually also should take interest in the city's welfare, for cities and their suburbs are intertwined economically. The stronger the core city is, the better off its suburbs are. Many suburbanites don't see the connection, especially with the rise of suburban edge cities like King of Prussia, but the links are still there; former Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia economist Dick Voith demonstrated this in a 1994 paper titled "Do Suburbs Need Cities?" That paper is not readable online, but you can read a research brief Voith produced for the Philadelphia Fed on the same topic here.

(Voith is now a principal in a Philadephia consulting firm called Econsult Solutions.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia