Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 08:25 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
So let me get this straight: Helen Gym's campaign manager can post a group photo of OnePA and say something like "this is our community! our people!" or whatever they wrote on their bus tour door knocking adventure. And then less than 24hrs later, it's okay to be like "We have nothing to do with these people!" Even worse, it appears Steve Paul, the director of OnePA, was a city council liaison directly for Helen Gym. These are her people. Who do you think shows up behind her in her endless "press conferences" and protests? It's the non-profit industrial complex that is desperate to have her elected because they need to keep sucking up taxpayer dollars.

You're right, it wasn't random. It was Helen Gym's people walking to your door with a gun. Best not say the wrong thing though, they might shoot you.

Honestly, after spending 12 years living in inner city philly, I find it completely disturbing the mayoral conversation would be about anything else other than sanitation and public safety. Talking about Jeffrey Yass as if he has anything to do with the closed democratic primary in Philadelphia is being disingenuous to every philadelphian
This is what's wrong with politics, right now. PACs are both very much a part of a campaign and not a part. Let's drop the BS. This group's singular mission is to get Gym et al elected. They work for her DIRECTLY - whether Gym's benefits from shifting their stated involvement with her campaign one way or the other.

Here's a hot take...

I kinda understand why those guys are walking around those neighborhoods with a heater. The neighborhoods they were canvassing are crazy dangerous. I don't blame Gym for trying to distance herself, however disingenuous and dishonest it was. It's a terrible look when your own people are shooting each other, especially when the hotbed issue of every Philadelphian is controlling gun violence. But it's gotta be a pretty dangerous undertaking to walk through those neighborhoods knocking on people's doors.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:04 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
This is what's wrong with politics, right now. PACs are both very much a part of a campaign and not a part. Let's drop the BS. This group's singular mission is to get Gym et al elected. They work for her DIRECTLY - whether Gym's benefits from shifting their stated involvement with her campaign one way or the other.
Absurd though it sounds, the law governing "super PACs" states that they may not coordinate their activities on behalf of a candidate with that candidate's campaign.

Stephen Colbert made fun of this provision of the law on his old Comedy Central show in an episode where he formed a super PAC working on his own behalf, but it's what allows for this sort of thing.

Old 05-12-2023, 03:56 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Absurd though it sounds, the law governing "super PACs" states that they may not coordinate their activities on behalf of a candidate with that candidate's campaign.

Stephen Colbert made fun of this provision of the law on his old Comedy Central show in an episode where he formed a super PAC working on his own behalf, but it's what allows for this sort of thing.

So you understand that these sentences much more apply to Jeffrey Yass and not just some random dudes making 10 bucks an hour to push communism door-to-door for Helen Gym and Bernie Sanders?

Old 05-12-2023, 06:10 AM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
Gym holds narrow lead in new PHL17/Emerson College poll: https://northeasttimes.com/2023/05/1...-college-poll/

Polling only 600 people is meaningless, but I hate to see this.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:11 AM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
That's the problem with this early voting/mail-in ballots prior to election day.
I’m on a work trip out of the country and won’t be in town to vote, unfortunately.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:27 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
So you understand that these sentences much more apply to Jeffrey Yass and not just some random dudes making 10 bucks an hour to push communism door-to-door for Helen Gym and Bernie Sanders?
Yes. But his super PAC is more in line with what I think the law intended. Philly for Growth is backing multiple candidates. Besides, I can't imagine the campaign staffs of any of the Democrats that PAC is backing making quiet overtures to a libertarian Republican for support.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:47 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Gym holds narrow lead in new PHL17/Emerson College poll: https://northeasttimes.com/2023/05/1...-college-poll/

Polling only 600 people is meaningless, but I hate to see this.

We're done

Old 05-12-2023, 07:05 AM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
Yeah I think Gym is winning this with about a quarter of the vote. It’s unfortunate but there were too many good candidates and no one wanted to drop out. 75% of Philadelphians understand the issues here but it won’t matter.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:07 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Gym is going to be our next Mayor.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:20 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Though it should be irrelevant to Philadelphia votes, Bernie and AOC campaigning for Helen Gym is the final nail in the coffin (IMO).

If she wins, do you all expect more of the same for the next 4 years? Things getting better, getting worse?

What are the concerns about Helen Gym as Mayor (related to anything: Economy, safety, development, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia