Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 08:47 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Probably best he doesn't officially endorse her.

That was about as official as a non-official endorsement comes lol

Old 05-09-2023, 10:48 AM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Perhaps the other candidates and their related PACs felt it was more productive to talk up their own qualities rather than sling mud at someone else's. At most, perhaps could say that Rhynhart felt remorse for her role in the housing bust and decided to pivot towards public service as a way to make amends.

Is it really mud slinging though? Facts equal mud slinging now? Fascinating that one can get in someone's head and rationalize actions and thinking for someone who never admitted to anything. In fact, the Wall Street past isn't even mentioned by the candidate or included in anything otherwise. Believe me, if her intent is as you fantasize, she still wouldn't go there this late in the game; she's been in Philly for 15 years.

Fascinating.

Not sure where "White privilege" factors into the Mayor's race. I don't know about Italian-Catholics...but I do recall one Rudy Giuliani on Election Night 2016 proclaiming "This is the greatest day since Andrew Jackson!", perhaps being unaware of how that man - who held brutal views and actions towards both Natives and Blacks - would have regarded Italians and other non-English in the 1800's.

Systemic racism is indeed a condition that continues. To wit, the company that adorns our fair Sixers/Flyers arena has paid settlements for discriminating against Black customers not once but twice.

White privilege factors in because some of the candidates are white. The reference to Andrew Jackson is misplaced but the response is typical yet somehow you question ''white privilege'' as well.

Systemic racism and then you announce settlements for alleged discrimination claims...hmm. Besides, the Rizzo Statue and Mural in the Italian Market are gone, making black folks' lives immeasurably better.

Fascinating.

As it happens, my own "rankings" upthread have the woman candidates in the top three but not necessarily due to their gender. I do think a woman Mayor is overdue and would sooner see any of the three gain the office than the other alternatives.

Huh?

Again...fascinating.

Agreed, playing the identity politics game is fascinating.
Gym for Mayor!

Last edited by MPK21; 05-09-2023 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-10-2023, 04:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Is it really mud slinging though? Facts equal mud slinging now? Fascinating that one can get in someone's head and rationalize actions and thinking for someone who never admitted to anything. In fact, the Wall Street past isn't even mentioned by the candidate or included in anything otherwise. Believe me, if her intent is as you fantasize, she still wouldn't go there this late in the game; she's been in Philly for 15 years.
I should confess that I haven't seen much local TV in the last couple weeks until the other day when I did see PACs throwing shade at candidates. What Rhynhart did in the past may indeed be facts; nonetheless, it doesn't appear - unless I've missed those ads - that anyone is eager to re-litigate that connection.

Quote:
White privilege factors in because some of the candidates are white. The reference to Andrew Jackson is misplaced but the response is typical yet somehow you question ''white privilege'' as well.
Jim Kenney won two landslide mayoral primaries in a city that is majority people of color.

Quote:
Systemic racism and then you announce settlements for alleged discrimination claims...hmm. Besides, the Rizzo Statue and Mural in the Italian Market are gone, making black folks' lives immeasurably better.
The Rizzo statue was the equivalent of a Confederate monument for many if not most Black Philadelphians. That said, I would not have opposed the mural staying up in a part of the city that particularly revered him, even as there are fewer Italians there these days.

Quote:
Agreed, playing the identity politics game is fascinating.
Indeed it is. But for me to expound on that would include Presidential (re-)aspirations that are well off-topic for this forum.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:03 AM

86 posts, read 60,643 times
Was really irritated to see my block peppered with Helen Gym flyers that added to the street trash

Old 05-10-2023, 08:03 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2Me View Post
Was really irritated to see my block peppered with Helen Gym flyers that added to the street trash
Fingers crossed no one got shot littering your street with those.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Fingers crossed no one got shot littering your street with those.

The campaign shooting is the most on the nose thing that has ever happened. Knowing her people are walking around door to door ready to shoot people could not make me despise her more.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The campaign shooting is the most on the nose thing that has ever happened. Knowing her people are walking around door to door ready to shoot people could not make me despise her more.
Yes, definitely on the nose regarding the current political climate, and the state of Philadelphia's public safety. To be fair, reportedly, both canvassers were affiliated with One PA, not Gym -- whom I think you are talking about when you say "her."

Old 05-10-2023, 06:33 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
In addition to what Muinteoir said above about who they were actually working for, it's a bit of a stretch to turn what was clearly an interpersonal beef between two people into them "walking around door to door ready to shoot people."

The shooting wasn't random, and while we could fault their hair-trigger tempers, I suspect that they wouldn't have responded similarly to a random resident saying something to them in the course of distributing flyers.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:29 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
Yeah, I am not voting for Helen Gym but drawing a line between that and her, is disingenuous. Though I cannot wait for Bernie to cheer on the Philadelphia Warriors when he visits this weekend....

Old 05-11-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In addition to what Muinteoir said above about who they were actually working for, it's a bit of a stretch to turn what was clearly an interpersonal beef between two people into them "walking around door to door ready to shoot people."
So let me get this straight: Helen Gym's campaign manager can post a group photo of OnePA and say something like "this is our community! our people!" or whatever they wrote on their bus tour door knocking adventure. And then less than 24hrs later, it's okay to be like "We have nothing to do with these people!" Even worse, it appears Steve Paul, the director of OnePA, was a city council liaison directly for Helen Gym. These are her people. Who do you think shows up behind her in her endless "press conferences" and protests? It's the non-profit industrial complex that is desperate to have her elected because they need to keep sucking up taxpayer dollars.

Quote:

The shooting wasn't random, and while we could fault their hair-trigger tempers, I suspect that they wouldn't have responded similarly to a random resident saying something to them in the course of distributing flyers.
You're right, it wasn't random. It was Helen Gym's people walking to your door with a gun. Best not say the wrong thing though, they might shoot you.

Honestly, after spending 12 years living in inner city philly, I find it completely disturbing the mayoral conversation would be about anything else other than sanitation and public safety. Talking about Jeffrey Yass as if he has anything to do with the closed democratic primary in Philadelphia is being disingenuous to every philadelphian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia