Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 10:35 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
BTW, folks, I think you all might be interested to read what the New York Post Editorial Board had to say about our election:

Philly Dems reject progs, elect anti-crime moderate as mayor | New York Post

I was talking with a member of Team Cherelle last night at the Pen & Pencil, and his comments about where Parker's opponents lived echo those that Building & Construction Trades Council (construction unions) head Ryan Boyer is quoted as saying in this editorial.

(ICYMI, Boyer is the first Black head of the building trades union council.)
The black community was going to back Parker from the get go; well known, experienced in political office over the other lesser known, inexperienced black candidates and certainly weren't going to get behind white candidates and an asian female, politics aside, in this primary

Can't dismiss the goal of getting a black mayor in City Hall though, moderate or progressive. Plus Parker is a female and black females in particular are all the rage now.

Hopefully, Parker cans Outlaw within the first 5 minutes of taking office. Will Parker get rid of Outlaw ASAP? She needs to.

Interesting to see how Parker and Krasner get along for sure; hopefully, she takes him down to the mat. How can Krasner criticize or not get along with Parker, he of ''I'm down with the black communty'' credentials? LOL Especially as Parker favors stop-n-frisk and Larry ain't prosecuting or otherwise doing his job, thereby contributing to the local bloodbath in the black community.

That said, Philly dodged a Chicago ''bullett'' by not electing Gym. Domb or Parker were the best alternatives.

"Funding the Police'' and ''stop-n-frisk'' are the antithesis of progressivism. Good job Philly for this alone. Hopefully, Parker does as she says....

Last edited by MPK21; 05-18-2023 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-18-2023, 02:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Parker is in favor of stop-n-frisk.
I'm aware of Parker's view on stop-and-frisk; it's the reason why she was third on my rankings post.

Quote:
Black folks don't own the ''killed by coppers'' narrative.
Indeed: Brown and sometimes even White people have been the victims of police harassment and brutality. However, Black people are disproportionately targeted.

Quote:
How many unarmed black folks are killed by cops?
If focusing on Philadelphia specifically, this might be a good place to start.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/inq/ph...-20200710.html

Quote:
I do like Parker's stance on stop-n-frisk; perhaps the bloodbath in Philly's black community generally and young black males in particular will ebb.
I imagine that Black Philadelphians are cautiously optimistic that the program will be applied in a way that they and their law-abiding neighbors aren't stopped for "fitting the description" or "being on the wrong block".

Old 05-18-2023, 02:39 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I'm aware of Parker's view on stop-and-frisk; it's the reason why she was third on my rankings post.
Quote:

Indeed: Brown and sometimes even White people have been the victims of police harassment and brutality. However, Black people are disproportionately targeted.

If focusing on Philadelphia specifically, this might be a good place to start.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/inq/ph...-20200710.html

I imagine that Black Philadelphians are cautiously optimistic that the program will be applied in a way that they and their law-abiding neighbors aren't stopped for "fitting the description" or "being on the wrong block".
It's completely accurate that there have been injustices enacted on people of color with stop and frisk, but with a black mayor, and hopefully soon new police representation and a department actively reforming, I think it's time to bring back some sort of measure of stop and frisk. I mean, seven countries just issued travel warnings to the US because of gun violence. We're becoming a third world country and have to do something dramatic in the coming months/years.

Being passive and reactionary to shootings won't do it. We need to get in front of this, and unfortunately, it's probably too late to address by simply instituting tougher gun laws and more checks on purchases. Just way too many semi-autos and Glocks on the streets already. Not saying we shouldn't pass much more stringent guns laws, but the country is saturated with guns already. We need to get into the more impoverished neighborhoods where the majority of these gun crimes originate and/or occur and try to stop them before they happen. Again, better community relations, more teen activities, better school funding are all solid solutions, but long-term ones. If we don't get these nationwide shootings down "long-term" might not even be in the cards for a lot of the more violent and poverty-stricken US cities...

I have high hopes for Parker to get some pragmatic solutions moving forward. I really hope, for the future of our city, that some of her initiatives highlighted on her running platform come to fruition.

Last edited by Pennsport; 05-18-2023 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 08:30 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times
^ In that regard, Parker was always the best bet. I voted for Rhynhart but Parker was the only one with a real, proven record when working with fellow elected officials. On that note, where there any elected officials in Philly that backed Gym? From where I am sitting, she attacked everyone else for large amounts of non Philly donor money but at the end of the campaign, who did she have a rally with? A New Yorker and a Vermonter. Policy aside, Gym was like a left wing Ted Cruz. Her personality wasn't unlikable by any means but stuff like that irks everyone (the Cruz comparison goes to an agree he had with Kasich where they agreed not to compete against one another in certain states. Then on the stump, Cruz claimed that Kasich was throwing in the towel, citing him not campaigning in certain states).

Old 05-19-2023, 07:26 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Tweb66: The kind of hypocrisy you identified in that Cruz/Kasich story was one of the big reasons Helen "I founded a charter school but don't want your kids to be able to attend one" Gym lost. She occasionally got questioned about that, and her answer boiled down to a "But that was different" protest, hardly convincing.

One of the most effective TV ads Parker ran, IMO, was one that began with her getting her son Langston ready for school. Her voiceover said that she has "had the talk" with him. Every Black Philadelphian knows what that meant — and (MPK21, please copy) the "tough on crime" crowd tend to forget, dismiss or downplay this concern.

She then went on to state that "as mayor, I will see to it that bad cops are held accountable." (John McNesby has devoted his career to ensuring that the opposite happens.) "But I will also make sure that we have the police we need on our streets to make them safe."

That ad, then, rung all the right changes. It certainly got my attention.

thedirtypirate: Agreed on the quality of Nicetown Court, the gateway to Nicetown from Wayne Junction. Generally speaking, I've been pleased with the projects I know of that the Nicetown Community Development Corporation has produced. That group also has the cutest slogan of any of the city's CDC's; you'll find it on the wastebaskets it maintains along Germantown Avenue in Nicetown:

"Working Together to Put the Nice Back in the Town"

Old 05-19-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Tweb66: The kind of hypocrisy you identified in that Cruz/Kasich story was one of the big reasons Helen "I founded a charter school but don't want your kids to be able to attend one" Gym lost. She occasionally got questioned about that, and her answer boiled down to a "But that was different" protest, hardly convincing.

One of the most effective TV ads Parker ran, IMO, was one that began with her getting her son Langston ready for school. Her voiceover said that she has "had the talk" with him. Every Black Philadelphian knows what that meant — and (MPK21, please copy) the "tough on crime" crowd tend to forget, dismiss or downplay this concern.

She then went on to state that "as mayor, I will see to it that bad cops are held accountable." (John McNesby has devoted his career to ensuring that the opposite happens.) "But I will also make sure that we have the police we need on our streets to make them safe."

That ad, then, rung all the right changes. It certainly got my attention.

thedirtypirate: Agreed on the quality of Nicetown Court, the gateway to Nicetown from Wayne Junction. Generally speaking, I've been pleased with the projects I know of that the Nicetown Community Development Corporation has produced. That group also has the cutest slogan of any of the city's CDC's; you'll find it on the wastebaskets it maintains along Germantown Avenue in Nicetown:

"Working Together to Put the Nice Back in the Town"

We all got ''the talk'' coming up in cities like Philly. Again, black folks don't own ''the talk'' but then again, there was a time when race/class (mostly working class) issues acknowledged the common issues among themselves; that narrative, of course, had to be inverted to create and widen divisions.

Far from forgetting, dismissing, or downplaying this concern, I just knew it (the talk) has something everyone heard.

Where is Parker on creating jobs in Philly? Let's not limit it to those ''job programs'' or ''job training'' cliches. How is she going to balance job creation that will increase the cost of living vs. this affordable housing issue? And let's get rid of the cliche ''gentrification'' meaning white people with $$ moving in and ousting POC (black folks) from their communities.

Last edited by MPK21; 05-19-2023 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-19-2023, 10:22 AM

[quote=Pennsport;65300317][b]

It's completely accurate that there have been injustices enacted on people of color with stop and frisk, but with a black mayor, and hopefully soon new police representation and a department actively reforming, I think it's time to bring back some sort of measure of stop and frisk. [b]I mean, seven countries[/B] just issued travel warnings to the US because of gun violence. We're becoming a third world country and have to do something dramatic in the coming months/years.

Being passive and reactionary to shootings won't do it. We need to get in front of this, and unfortunately, it's probably too late to address by simply instituting tougher gun laws and more checks on purchases. Just way too many semi-autos and Glocks on the streets already. Not saying we shouldn't pass much more stringent guns laws, but the country is saturated with guns already. We need to get into the more impoverished neighborhoods where the majority of these gun crimes originate and/or occur and try to stop them before they happen. Again, better community relations, more teen activities, better school funding are all solid solutions, but long-term ones. If we don't get these nationwide shootings down "long-term" might not even be in the cards for a lot of the more violent and poverty-stricken US cities...

I have high hopes for Parker to get some pragmatic solutions moving forward. I really hope, for the future of our city, that some of her initiatives highlighted on her running platform come to fruition.[/

Philly had S&F with Nutter, a black mayor. If S&F is instituted again, how will cops achieve racial parity in stop & frisks given that, for starters, 80%+ of homicide victims are black and 80%+ of shooters are black males? Considering that 45% of philly is black.

The policy to achieve racial crime stat parity has been to avoid cop-black encounters, drivers' equality bills, not prosecuting crime generally, $500. shoplifting minimum; in other words, the DA selectively doing his job and starring in documentaries about the Criminal Reform ''movement'' and attending Park City film fests. A national star in the progressive world.

Seven European countries issue travel warnings about the U.S., all anti-US propaganda...as with all of us, Europeans need to stay out of ''the more impoverished neighborhoods where the majority of these gun crimes originate and/or occur''.

In order to have the ''try to stop them before they happen'' part, the Criminal Reform charade our comrade D.A. has instituted needs to end, especially the ''addressing gun violence after it occurs'' policy. There's no lack of ''teen activities'' or the need for the cliche ''school funding'' excuse, and the ''better community relations''...all excuses and all solid solutions for 60 years now.

Last edited by MPK21; 05-19-2023 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-19-2023, 10:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
We need to have a more respectful form of S&F.

We also need a new DA.

Those alone will solve a LOT of our issues.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:34 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
We all got ''the talk'', at least, coming up in, at cities like Philly. Again, black folks don't own ''the talk'' but then again, there was a time when race/class (mostly working class) issues acknowledged the common issues among themselves; that narrative, of course, had to be inverted to create and widen divisions.
Blacks and Latinos for sure - as well as Natives in other parts of the country - but it makes sense that poor/working-class White Philadelphians might have received it too. The difference, however, is that parents of color at all economic strata in and around our city may have felt compelled to give their children The Talk while middle- and upper-class White households may not think to discuss it. Also, it's already been proven that Black and Latino Philadelphians were disproportionately targeted during the previous implementation of stop-and-frisk.

Quote:
Where is Parker on creating jobs in Philly? Let's not limit it to those ''job programs'' or ''job training'' cliches. How is she going to balance job creation that will increase the cost of living vs. this affordable housing issue? And let's get rid of the cliche ''gentrification'' meaning white people with $$ moving in and ousting POC (black folks) from their communities.
You may find some of your answers here:

https://www.cherelleparker.com/259-2/

Old 05-19-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Blacks and Latinos for sure - as well as Natives in other parts of the country - but it makes sense that poor/working-class White Philadelphians might have received it too. The difference, however, is that parents of color at all economic strata in and around our city may have felt compelled to give their children The Talk while middle- and upper-class White households may not think to discuss it. Also, it's already been proven that Black and Latino Philadelphians were disproportionately targeted during the previous implementation of stop-and-frisk.

''might have received it too''; seems someone can't concede anything when it comes to issues in common with black and white communities.

At least Cherelle Parker didn't pull the ''driving while black'' card for her DUI conviction in 2011.

You may find some of your answers here:

https://www.cherelleparker.com/259-2/
Not really. More of the jobs programs etc. Nothing concrete, just more sounds good fluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia