Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2023, 02:05 PM

14,232 posts, read 9,118,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I might do that, and if Parker and Rhynhard weren't tied in every poll, it would make it much easier. My hope is the vast majority of undecideds are tossing around Domb, Parker and Rhynhart. And I don't think its an unreasonable hope either. Seems like you are either on the Gym train or not.

And FWIW, West Mt. Airy I would guess has a more Parker signs than Gym. As one might guess, Seth Anderson Oberman signs are everywhere and if the vast majority of them are supporting Gym, they aren't advertising it with a sign. There just aren't that many Gym signs. But signs are just signs. I remember Brooklyn in 2016, all the "hot spots" were covered in Bernie signs, but lost to Hillary 2-1. I guess its an urban version of "flyover country".
The block I live on has three Seth signs. Two of them also have signs touting mayoral candidates.

One of them has a Gym sign. The other has a Rhynhart sign.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:19 PM

386 posts, read 267,929 times
There’s another poll that shows Rhynhart with a more comfortable lead. We’ll see tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status...Dke9btgaM3pL9g

Old 05-15-2023, 02:19 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,532,465 times
Disappointed Domb and Brown didn't drop out. Too late now.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:30 PM

1,170 posts, read 594,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
There’s another poll that shows Rhynhart with a more comfortable lead. We’ll see tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status...Dke9btgaM3pL9g

I'd love that result, but that seems to be the outlier and I had never heard of them to start with.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:46 PM

14,232 posts, read 9,118,733 times
Quote:
I'd love that result, but that seems to be the outlier and I had never heard of them to start with.
I note that Left of Center surveyed 285 likely Democratic voters with cell phones for this poll.

Cell phones have spread pretty widely throughout the general population, but I wonder whether those without them would alter the results in any way.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:51 PM

I cannot imagine the non cell phone users skew towards Gym, though they could be over correcting.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:34 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,457,826 times
Quote:
I might do that, and if Parker and Rhynhard weren't tied in every poll, it would make it much easier. My hope is the vast majority of undecideds are tossing around Domb, Parker and Rhynhart. And I don't think its an unreasonable hope either. Seems like you are either on the Gym train or not.

And FWIW, West Mt. Airy I would guess has a more Parker signs than Gym. As one might guess, Seth Anderson Oberman signs are everywhere and if the vast majority of them are supporting Gym, they aren't advertising it with a sign. There just aren't that many Gym signs. But signs are just signs. I remember Brooklyn in 2016, all the "hot spots" were covered in Bernie signs, but lost to Hillary 2-1. I guess its an urban version of "flyover country".
Given how close the margins were for the three polls I've seen, I estimate the race is pretty evenly split between Gym, Rhynhart, and Parker. The most recent poll is not necessarily any better of a reflection than the two previous. Regardless, they all have razor thin margins. The biggest question mark is those undecideds. They will determine the race. I agree that in all likelihood, those who are voting Gym have already made up their mind. She's not one to feel lukewarm about. I think that is something to feel hopeful about going into tomorrow. But, only time will tell!

Personally, I am still planning to go with Rhynhart, since I think she is highly competent, has the least baggage, and is one of the more viable candidates according to polling. She seems pretty popular in Manayunk.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:20 PM

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Manayunk has a lot of Rhynhart support? Manayunk is a little weird, its largely young, increasingly affluent but also has "bro culture". I lived there for years so its not a judgement, but its an interesting neighborhood.

Old 05-16-2023, 03:55 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,457,826 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what makes you think Manayunk has a lot of Rhynhart support? Manayunk is a little weird, its largely young, increasingly affluent but also has "bro culture". I lived there for years so its not a judgement, but its an interesting neighborhood.
This is all true. I’m just basing that upon the yard signs I see around the neighborhood. But of course, yard signs merely indicate enthusiasm. An enthusiastic person’s vote counts the same as any other vote. So we shall see…

Old 05-16-2023, 04:06 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,186,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Since public safety is Issue Number One in this campaign (nosing out education), I thought it might be useful for those following this thread and the subject to contemplate this:

The cops themselves were split in the DA election two years ago.

From this article on FOP Lodge 5 head John McNesby by my colleague Victor Fiorillo, which I recommend you read in full. The subject is the November 2021 general election, when Larry Krasner became DA:

McNesby has a long history of protecting bad and racist cops. And since retired officers can vote for FOP leadership, he has a base of out-of-touch former cops who long for the days of Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo to keep him in power.

(Edited to add an aside: I've also said at times in the past that the issues with the Philadelphia Police Department could probably be solved by replacing the FOP with the Guardian Civic League as the official bargaining agent.)

The good news is, the younger officers actually in the force don't have this mentality. A little later on in the story, after quoting a professor who says that the police unions may not actually represent their members, we find this:

So maybe the DA isn't quite the problem many here think he is?

I’d definitely support the idea of a FOP Chief with attributes of inclusivity among the force and compassion for residents that would make the splinter organizations of color unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia