Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 06:06 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Although my candidate did not win, I am so happy for the people who backed Cherelle. The neighborhoods most effected by gun violence have spoken.

Honestly though, being so entrenched in the political machine was my main concern with her. Philadelphia needs a real shake-up. But, hearing her at the debate, I was sold on her conviction to make real change during her tenure. I was impressed by her performance. I am eager to see what she can get done.

I agree! I am always happy when a suburbanite has a genuine interest in the city's well-being.
TBH, as political machines go, the one she's really connected to — the "Northwest Coalition" — is one of the better ones IMO.

The pols who comprise it aren't in it for themselves, at least not the way most pols who are "in it for themselves" are. They tend to back candidates who seek to preserve and strengthen the "middle neighborhoods" of Northwest Philadelphia. Parker is definitely cut out of that cloth.

Not all the choices they make I consider wise ones: it was State Rep. Chris Rabb, a member of the group, who persuaded Seth Anderson-Oberman to run against Cindy Bass. Nonetheless, it's a sign of just how fed up the Greater Germantown part of Bass' Council district is with her performance and bad judgment that the 8th District race remains uncalled despite Bass' claim of victory yesterday evening. As of now, she leads by 302 votes with 89 percent of the expected votes tallied (real-time tally in this Inky article on the race) — and that the part of the district where Seth did best was Chestnut Hill, whose ward leaders promoted him over Bass. I was among the fed up when I went to vote yesterday; I think that Seth also carried my west-side-of-Germantown ward.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:10 AM

BTW, folks, I think you all might be interested to read what the New York Post Editorial Board had to say about our election:

Philly Dems reject progs, elect anti-crime moderate as mayor | New York Post

I was talking with a member of Team Cherelle last night at the Pen & Pencil, and his comments about where Parker's opponents lived echo those that Building & Construction Trades Council (construction unions) head Ryan Boyer is quoted as saying in this editorial.

(ICYMI, Boyer is the first Black head of the building trades union council.)

Old 05-18-2023, 06:38 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
Speaking of neighborhoods, I was pretty stunned to learn on election day that Brown, Domb and Rhynhart not only are all from Center City but all voted at the same polling station. That is...I don't know what the word for it. I don't think it is a "problem" necessarily but when 4 out the 5 main candidates (Gym is very close buy) can all meet for coffee in 5 minutes, I think a little more geographic options would have been nice.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:40 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not all the choices they make I consider wise ones: it was State Rep. Chris Rabb, a member of the group, who persuaded Seth Anderson-Oberman to run against Cindy Bass. Nonetheless, it's a sign of just how fed up the Greater Germantown part of Bass' Council district is with her performance and bad judgment that the 8th District race remains uncalled despite Bass' claim of victory yesterday evening. As of now, she leads by 302 votes with 89 percent of the expected votes tallied (real-time tally in this Inky article on the race) — and that the part of the district where Seth did best was Chestnut Hill, whose ward leaders promoted him over Bass. I was among the fed up when I went to vote yesterday; I think that Seth also carried my west-side-of-Germantown ward.

I couldn't disagree with you more on Seth The Communist. I did my research on him. Read things he wrote. Read his social media posts. He's an awful candidate and as someone who just moved to Chestnut Hill not long ago, I find his rhetoric about "keeping outsiders out and stopping progress" just about as conservative and stupid as they come in Philly.

The vote was basically split down geographical and racial lines (although, I live in the 9th ward and voted for bass much to the chagrin of the mansion owners in the neighborhood). MarketSt, are in the 59th Ward?

Old 05-18-2023, 07:06 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I voted for Bass for much the same reason. I don't care if someone was a Marxist in college, lots of people are radical when they are young. But he was an active participant into the 00s. Had there been a more "mainstream" alternate to Bass, it would have been a slam dunk for them.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more on Seth The Communist. I did my research on him. Read things he wrote. Read his social media posts. He's an awful candidate and as someone who just moved to Chestnut Hill not long ago, I find his rhetoric about "keeping outsiders out and stopping progress" just about as conservative and stupid as they come in Philly.

The vote was basically split down geographical and racial lines (although, I live in the 9th ward and voted for bass much to the chagrin of the mansion owners in the neighborhood). MarketSt, are in the 59th Ward?
I don't think you're disagreeing with me: My first sentence should have conveyed my sentiment that I thought Seth an unwise choice. Maybe difference of degree rather than kind. He certainly soft-pedaled that stuff when I spoke with him for an article for The Local. Instead, he talked about "deeply affordable housing" and making it possible for those already here to remain here.

My point was that so many up this way saw Bass as so awful they were willing to vote for this guy instead of her. Did you hear about what led to the demise of the Germantown Special Services District, or the do-nothing Pittsburgh construction firm she picked to redevelop the still-boarded-up former Germantown YWCA more than five years ago? She had the gall to call the mostly Black Germantowners who grilled her over her choice of that firm at a First Presbyterian Church in Germantown town hall "anti-Black." There are scores of experienced Black developers located in this city that she could have chosen; Mosaic Development Partners, for instance, would have had that building back in use by now.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I voted for Bass for much the same reason. I don't care if someone was a Marxist in college, lots of people are radical when they are young. But he was an active participant into the 00s. Had there been a more "mainstream" alternate to Bass, it would have been a slam dunk for them.
You're right about that. Both you and thedirtypirate identified the reason Seth is losing narrowly.

But that he's only losing narrowly rather than getting trounced by Bass also tells you about Bass. If Bass is smart, she will take this as a wake-up call. But I don't think she's that smart.

(Dan Pearson of the Inky Editorial Board pointed out to me that the paper's endorsement of Seth was really an anti-endorsement of Bass, as the endorsement said nothing about what Seth was for or his background.)

Old 05-18-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post

He calls people 'Comrade' on twitter and they call him that back lol. It's so weird

Old 05-18-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I don't think you're disagreeing with me: My first sentence should have conveyed my sentiment that I thought Seth an unwise choice. Maybe difference of degree rather than kind. He certainly soft-pedaled that stuff when I spoke with him for an article for The Local. Instead, he talked about "deeply affordable housing" and making it possible for those already here to remain here.

My point was that so many up this way saw Bass as so awful they were willing to vote for this guy instead of her. Did you hear about what led to the demise of the Germantown Special Services District, or the do-nothing Pittsburgh construction firm she picked to redevelop the still-boarded-up former Germantown YWCA more than five years ago? She had the gall to call the mostly Black Germantowners who grilled her over her choice of that firm at a First Presbyterian Church in Germantown town hall "anti-Black." There are scores of experienced Black developers located in this city that she could have chosen; Mosaic Development Partners, for instance, would have had that building back in use by now.

Gotcha, I misunderstood you. And yes yes, we need to figure out what's going on with the YWCA. Spending more time in North Philly than I have had in nearly a decade, it saddens me how little progress has been made but there are some signs of progress. It was smart for PHA to build the Nicetown Court developments along Germantown. I remember going to the Trolley Car diner right after I had moved to Philly and drove up Germantown Ave from Temple and there was a blocks long gap between Nicetown and the bottom of Germantown. The Nicetown Court buildings actual do fill in a good bit of that gap.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:17 AM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Well I'm not going to say that BoB violence isn't a significant threat...but there's a reason that stop and frisk policies do not currently exist. Many of us are also aware of high profile cases of police harassment and murders of unarmed Black citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
https://whyy.org/articles/behind-sto...-the-findings/

National politicians coming to endorse a local candidate is only bothersome if one doesn't like the local candidate.

RE:Right wing talking points, I was responding to this:

And hence the frustration encapsulated here:

Not acknowledging the reality of the historic and ongoing conditions minimized in your quote will prevent city-wide Republican candidates from making an inroads into the city, let alone national candidates benefitting from our vote-rich town.
Parker is in favor of stop-n-frisk. Black folks don't own the ''killed by coppers'' narrative. How many unarmed black folks are killed by cops?

I do like Parker's stance on stop-n-frisk; perhaps the bloodbath in Philly's black community generally and young black males in particular will ebb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia