Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2023, 10:52 AM

1,026 posts, read 446,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Uuuugggghhh.

First of all, I think the "nationalization" of local races is one of the worst trends we've seen in this country. This is a bi-partisan problem across the country, and it's exactly why political polarization and dysfunction is now filtering down to local government, which HAS to be the last line of defense against that nonsense. I really wish AOC and Bernie would have kept their noses out of this race, and I say this as someone who's moderately liberal.

I don't know who is going to be inclined to do it at this point, but one of the other candidates really needs to drop out for the good of Philadelphia and shore up support for a more reasonable candidate.
Agreed on the nationalization on local races that have nothing to do with the folks chiming in on them. Oprah endorsing Fetterman and Sanders was in on both of Krasner's elections. I questioned this before...why is a VT Senator involved in the local Philly DA race? No one responded. Now of course it's an issue because there's a very real possibility that Gym could the next mayor.

Another issue is the ''early voting'' factor. Any of those Brown, Domb, and any other wasted votes are in the bin already.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:06 AM

1,026 posts, read 446,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Shoot. I submitted my mail-in ballot for Domb awhile ago.
That's the problem with this early voting/mail-in ballots prior to election day.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:21 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Who said Rhynhart has a conflict of interest? After all, her Wall Street career ended 15 years ago; she's just b.s'ing and pandering about building the black community up with $$ handouts. Regardless, no one has brought up Rhynhart's Wall Street insider career to even criticize it.

Although I just saw the first TV ad mentioning Rhynhart's Wall Street career at Bear-Stearns...lol. As predicted upthread, there would be dirt thrown out as the primary election closes-in. My only problem with the ad is it doesn't mention Rhynhart's double-whammy on Wall Street; Bear-Stearns and Fitch Ratings, both hand-n-hand in the mortgage fraud induced Depression of 2008.

Who at Bear-Stearns worked with mortgages? lol...why the need to create that ''fact"? Rhynhart may have worked with municipalities or not, regardless, she was a manager in the credit derivative department and the most common type of credit derivatives are Credit Default Swaps (CDS). Rhynhart's CDSs were directly rooted in '00s fraudulent mortgages and the securities outfits like Bear Stearns created spawned from them.
Perhaps the other candidates and their related PACs felt it was more productive to talk up their own qualities rather than sling mud at someone else's. At most, perhaps could say that Rhynhart felt remorse for her role in the housing bust and decided to pivot towards public service as a way to make amends.

Quote:
In the hypocrital world of today's ''-isms'' and ''privileges'', Rhynhart is exempt of ''white privilege'' because she's half-jewish? What about, say, Italian-Catholics? Are they exempt from white privilege? Domb is exempt because of his ''race''? So complicated to keep up with these overused terms although Rhynhart is playing up, for example, the overused yet fake general ''systemic racism'' and the ''systemic racism in banking'' b.s. in particular.
Fascinating.

Not sure where "White privilege" factors into the Mayor's race. I don't know about Italian-Catholics...but I do recall one Rudy Giuliani on Election Night 2016 proclaiming "This is the greatest day since Andrew Jackson!", perhaps being unaware of how that man - who held brutal views and actions towards both Natives and Blacks - would have regarded Italians and other non-English in the 1800's.

Systemic racism is indeed a condition that continues. To wit, the company that adorns our fair Sixers/Flyers arena has paid settlements for discriminating against Black customers not once but twice.

Quote:
Regardless, the mantra in our mayoral race is ''we should have a woman as mayor''. As far as I know, all the women candidates still identify that way.
Fascinating.

As it happens, my own "rankings" upthread have the woman candidates in the top three but not necessarily due to their gender. I do think a woman Mayor is overdue and would sooner see any of the three gain the office than the other alternatives.

Quote:
Since Domb ain't gonna win, has a conflict of interest being a real estate broker, and it's time we had a ''woman'' as mayor, of the 3, it'a gotta be Gym..''Asian woman''...identity politics ''Trumps'' experience and competency after all. Cherelle Parker is a black woman but Rhynhart is only a half-jewish woman...gotta go with Gym, since she gets a +1 since asian woman are the top $$ earners in this country today.
Huh?

Again...fascinating.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:19 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,851 times
"Fascinating" is the most generous adjective I've seen used in this forum. For those not keeping score at home, not every news story, data point or even anecdote is an indictment of white liberals as some would have you believe.

In any event, don't want Helen Gym? Neither do I, Jeff Brow is tanking, Domb is behind as well. So you need to vote either Parker or Rhynhart. I think I am voting Rhynhart but I have so, I have been super impressed with Parker's debate performances. I'd be fine with either Rhynhart, Parker or Domb but strategic voting may be in order here.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:57 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
In any event, don't want Helen Gym? Neither do I, Jeff Brow is tanking, Domb is behind as well. So you need to vote either Parker or Rhynhart. I think I am voting Rhynhart but I have so, I have been super impressed with Parker's debate performances. I'd be fine with either Rhynhart, Parker or Domb but strategic voting may be in order here.
You and I are in the same boat right now.

One of the things I say about Parker, however, and this may end up sending her to 215 City Hall much the way ex-cop Eric Adams won the mayoralty in NYC:

She gets something a lot of progressives, Black, white, and otherwise, either overlook or ignore because it doesn't mesh with their agenda on public safety:

Yes, Blacks want cops who treat them with respect. But they want good policing every bit as much as everyone else does.

She has been sending out that dual message better than any other candidate out there.

The vehicle that captures this most succinctly is the one where she is with her son at the beginning. She explains that she has "had the talk" with him. She then goes on to say that, once elected, she will make sure that bad cops are held accountable. But she will also make sure there are enough cops out there to keep the streets safe.

Meanwhile, the cops have all backed Brown.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:11 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Jeff Brown is a terrible politician, it's that simple lol. He's not quick or wise with his words.

I would still take Parker over Gym because of public safety and sanitation. Gym ranks last for me in those two categories which are two of the most important to me.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:35 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Might not matter, but Jim Jenney said he voted for Cherelle Parker.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:48 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Jeff Brown is a terrible politician, it's that simple lol. He's not quick or wise with his words.

I would still take Parker over Gym because of public safety and sanitation. Gym ranks last for me in those two categories which are two of the most important to me.
Can someone point out a few Gym supporters other than Mark Ruffalo and AOC, for crying out loud?

I'm obviously being dramatic but for christ sake, I haven't met a single person who is psyched for Gym.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:26 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Can someone point out a few Gym supporters other than Mark Ruffalo and AOC, for crying out loud?

I'm obviously being dramatic but for christ sake, I haven't met a single person who is psyched for Gym.

You're luck to not be on Twitter lol.. It's literally the worst coalition of: out-of-towners, celebs, machine politicians, Mt Airy karen and kens, and then the non-profiters who have been taking vacations and living off of taxpayer funding while making zero meaningful impact on any communities in Philadelphia.

They stop at absolutely nothing to paint Helen as the biggest victim in Philadelphia

Old 05-09-2023, 08:37 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Might not matter, but Jim Jenney said he voted for Cherelle Parker.
Probably best he doesn't officially endorse her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia