Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2023, 07:50 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

I'm like a half-inch away from just saying Rhynhart outright. If she has a much better chance than Domb, so be it. The problem is, and this is one of the reasons I like Domb, he is beholden to no one. He doesn't have future political aspirations and probably isn't actively looking to cut a deal for an endorsement after spending millions of his own dollars

Old 04-28-2023, 08:43 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I'm like a half-inch away from just saying Rhynhart outright. If she has a much better chance than Domb, so be it. The problem is, and this is one of the reasons I like Domb, he is beholden to no one. He doesn't have future political aspirations and probably isn't actively looking to cut a deal for an endorsement after spending millions of his own dollars
Ditto Jeff Brown, but he has this unfortunate tendency to insert his foot in his mouth.

I will say this in favor of Cherelle Parker: Her position on policing actually reflects what the majority of Black Philadelphians want.

There's a commercial on now featuring her with her son. In it, she tells viewers that she has "had the talk" with him. She then goes on to explain that as mayor, she will see to it that bad cops are held accountable, but she will also ensure that the neighborhoods are adequately policed to make the streets safe.

The more I hear from her, the more I think she would be as good a mayor as Domb, Rhynhart or Jeff Brown, her ties to the Northwest Coalition notwithstanding (but come to think of it, the pols the Northwest Coalition tends to support are generally good).

Old 04-28-2023, 09:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Hasn't she passed on a bunch of questions in the debates?

I'm still a Domb guy but someone told me last night he was a slum lord. I thought he was a straight-up real-estate broker but he was adamant. Whether or not that's true, there seems to be that perception out there.

My Gym fears are growing stronger by the day.

Of course Domb's going to be labelled a ''slum land lord". There is also a perception out there that Domb is a real estate developer who is going to ''gentrify'' (what ever that means today) Philly.

Would have expected questions about this ''slum landlord'' issue being directed to Domb in the debates or brought out in the ''media''.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Of course Domb's going to be labelled a ''slum land lord". There is also a perception out there that Domb is a real estate developer who is going to ''gentrify'' (what ever that means today) Philly.

Would have expected questions about this ''slum landlord'' issue being directed to Domb in the debates or brought out in the ''media''.
I'm sure that's coming. If anyone's learned anyhing from today's political climate, it pays to "make people aware" of big politically challenging headlines close to election day.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:07 PM

If Rhynhart takes a lttle bigger lead, I'm switching to her. Can't afford to have Domb/Rhynhart to split. That'll pave the way for Gym.

I'm amazed that she is in the running this competitively. It's so obvious....

Old 04-28-2023, 01:15 PM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Ditto Jeff Brown, but he has this unfortunate tendency to insert his foot in his mouth.

I will say this in favor of Cherelle Parker: Her position on policing actually reflects what the majority of Black Philadelphians want.

There's a commercial on now featuring her with her son. In it, she tells viewers that she has "had the talk" with him. She then goes on to explain that as mayor, she will see to it that bad cops are held accountable, but she will also ensure that the neighborhoods are adequately policed to make the streets safe.

The more I hear from her, the more I think she would be as good a mayor as Domb, Rhynhart or Jeff Brown, her ties to the Northwest Coalition notwithstanding (but come to think of it, the pols the Northwest Coalition tends to support are generally good).
My concern with Parker has to do with her development stances, not crime. Although like I said before, I’d be fine with her winning, it’s just she’s not as good as Domb or Rhynhart for me.

Old 04-29-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that's coming. If anyone's learned anyhing from today's political climate, it pays to "make people aware" of big politically challenging headlines close to election day.
True, look what just happened to Gym: ''Mayoral candidate Helen Gym is facing renewed accusations of acting unethically when she voted against a City Council bill in 2019 that sought to regulate pharmaceutical sales representatives while her husband worked in the industry."

Wonder if Rhynhart's 'pre-2008 'Wall Street Insider'' career working at Bear Stearns and Fitch will come up?
It needs to be raised, especially given its absence from her campaign bio. Can't believe any of this hasn't been mentioned as of yet anyway.

A self-described ''original progressive'' from a white privileged background working on Wall Street pocketing tons of $$$ from the pre-2008 mortgage fraud era that brought about, among other things, the collapse of black home ownership equity wealth...even as she campaigns in 2023 about solving the ''systemic racism in banking'' preventing blacks from owning homes....and no one has touched on this yet about her?

At least Gym's has some basis and made the Inquirer....Rhynhart's ''conflicts of interest'' hasn't been brough up, while Domb being a ''slum landlord'' remains, so far, a rumor.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
True, look what just happened to Gym: ''Mayoral candidate Helen Gym is facing renewed accusations of acting unethically when she voted against a City Council bill in 2019 that sought to regulate pharmaceutical sales representatives while her husband worked in the industry."

Wonder if Rhynhart's 'pre-2008 'Wall Street Insider'' career working at Bear Stearns and Fitch will come up?
It needs to be raised, especially given its absence from her campaign bio. Can't believe any of this hasn't been mentioned as of yet anyway.

A self-described ''original progressive'' from a white privileged background working on Wall Street pocketing tons of $$$ from the pre-2008 mortgage fraud era that brought about, among other things, the collapse of black home ownership equity wealth...even as she campaigns in 2023 about solving the ''systemic racism in banking'' preventing blacks from owning homes....and no one has touched on this yet about her?

At least Gym's has some basis and made the Inquirer....Rhynhart's ''conflicts of interest'' hasn't been brough up, while Domb being a ''slum landlord'' remains, so far, a rumor.
lol. Sounds like you're leading the charge to discredit Rhynhart.

I prefer Domb. He has a business approch to leading the city. If you reduce crime, remove the barrier of insane taxation to businesses wanting to set up shop in a major city and clean up the trash in the streets the tax base will expand. That opens the door for everything.

This town, while amazing, hasn't taken advantage of it's considerable talents. It's just a shame.

1. Address Cime
- More/better policing
- Social services aimed at interupting the cycle
- Improve the laughable state of education
2. Expand the tax base
3. Clean up the streets

It shouldn't be this hard. Domb has it right.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
lol. Sounds like you're leading the charge to discredit Rhynhart.

I prefer Domb. He has a business approch to leading the city. If you reduce crime, remove the barrier of insane taxation to businesses wanting to set up shop in a major city and clean up the trash in the streets the tax base will expand. That opens the door for everything.

This town, while amazing, hasn't taken advantage of it's considerable talents. It's just a shame.

1. Address Cime
- More/better policing
- Social services aimed at interupting the cycle
- Improve the laughable state of education
2. Expand the tax base
3. Clean up the streets

It shouldn't be this hard. Domb has it right.
It's just hard to believe that no other campaign let alone the media (although it's easy to believe if she's the media favorite) or public has even thought about what Rhynhart was doing pre-2008 Philly City Hall to bring her ''financial expertise'' to our town.

Rhynhart would be completely flustered and at a loss for words if she was blindsided by being a Wall Street Insider generally and her roles pre-2008 in particular; she's more than a bit stiff and dull personality and presentation wise.

Domb is the best candidate but, as you stated: "This town, while amazing, hasn't taken advantage of its considerable talents. It's just a shame."

Old 04-29-2023, 11:14 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
My concern is that in the process of treating the wound, healthy tissue - innocent citizens of color - will be damaged along the way. I'd like to think that, say, Parker would be more nuanced and sensitive about this than Domb but, from their debate comments at least, it's hard to determine.
BTW: To whomever left me a blind message repping this post and asking, "Why are you so racist?"...

1) I'm anything but.

2) Thanks for the rep point, I guess?

2) Next time, (wo)man up and post it here for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia