Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 04:48 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,542,812 times

Advertisements

This also mostly likely setups up the final boss battle: Larry K. vs (most likely) Derek Green for DA next year. And if it's anything like last night, it's going to be a 1 to 2 K.O.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:56 AM

I know we have talked about this before: local politics being a tribal thing, but it's still wild to look at the map of how race and class really did decide who you voted for

Old 05-17-2023, 05:13 AM

8,987 posts, read 21,202,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Of course it's all lies and manipulation, namely for race/class (the black community) division. The oppression/victimhood angle rules the day. After all, white supremacy violence is the greatest threat to POC (the black community).
Well it's not (just) the Black community saying it, but also the DHS some three years ago.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...eat-dhs-409236

Quote:
Lots of ''progressive'' $$ out there to support local, state, and national candidates running on this false narrative of oppression, white supremacy violence, voting rights under attack etc.
Although it's still relatively early, three out of the five council-at-large candidates endorsed by "Reclaim Philly" are leading. Nina Ahmad isn't exactly a moderate, herself. (I don't know anything about Jim Harrity.) So while Helen Gym's showing wasn't particularly strong, the progressive "$$" or maybe just progressive voters fared well elsewhere. It must be frustrating to echo right-wing talking points in a city that isn't going Republican in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-17-2023 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-17-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I know we have talked about this before: local politics being a tribal thing, but it's still wild to look at the map of how race and class really did decide who you voted for
That broke down pretty much as I might have expected, save Rhynhart doing particularly well towards Roxborough and Manayunk.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:15 AM

14,290 posts, read 9,167,231 times
Quote:

And I see a couple of interesting takeaways in that map:

One: Fishtown has been pretty much taken over by the Millennials/Gen Zers who have washed over the old "unmeltable [white] ethnics" and made the neighborhood a place I can visit.

Two: The Northeast ain't what it used to be, either. Note how mottled it is compared to most of the other tribal redoubts. The lower Northeast has been the city's immigrant magnet for some time, and it shows in the pockets of votes for every one of the leading candidates (no other part of the city has divisions taken by all five of the leading candidates). For the time being, it remains a redoubt of the old white guys, but their grip on the area is fading and will continue to fade as they die out.

Far South and inner Southwest Philadelphia, however, will likely remain a redoubt of that tribe.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Although it's still relatively early, three out of the five council-at-large candidates endorsed by "Reclaim Philly" are leading. Nina Ahmad isn't exactly a moderate, herself. (I don't know anything about Jim Harrity.) So while Helen Gym's showing wasn't particularly strong, the progressive "$$" or maybe just progressive voters fared well elsewhere. It must be frustrating to echo right-wing talking point in a city that isn't going Republican in the foreseeable future.

My opinion on the council district seats: incumbents don't lose. The mail-in ballots were wildly in favor of Thomas and Gilmore-Richardson and they never let up those leads.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Parker supported stop and frisk, correct?
Unfortunately. Black voters in North and West Philly - per the turnout maps provided in this thread - may be careful what they wish for if/when they and their law-abiding neighbors are stopped and frisked on the regular.

Quote:
It's early, but it appears as if old school Democrats are making their voices heard over the "progressive" trash.
As I said a bit upthread, three progressives - arguably four with Ahmad - won at-large seats. So a variety of voices are still being heard.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And I see a couple of interesting takeaways in that map:

One: Fishtown has been pretty much taken over by the Millennials/Gen Zers who have washed over the old "unmeltable [white] ethnics" and made the neighborhood a place I can visit.

Two: The Northeast ain't what it used to be, either. Note how mottled it is compared to most of the other tribal redoubts. The lower Northeast has been the city's immigrant magnet for some time, and it shows in the pockets of votes for every one of the leading candidates (no other part of the city has divisions taken by all five of the leading candidates). For the time being, it remains a redoubt of the old white guys, but their grip on the area is fading and will continue to fade as they die out.

Far South and inner Southwest Philadelphia, however, will likely remain a redoubt of that tribe.
Good observations. I hadn't paid attention to the Fishtown portion of the map before you mentioned it but it is indeed telling.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
My opinion on the council district seats: incumbents don't lose. The mail-in ballots were wildly in favor of Thomas and Gilmore-Richardson and they never let up those leads.
That's fair.

Old 05-17-2023, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Although it's still relatively early, three out of the five council-at-large candidates endorsed by "Reclaim Philly" are leading. Nina Ahmad isn't exactly a moderate, herself. (I don't know anything about Jim Harrity.) So while Helen Gym's showing wasn't particularly strong, the progressive "$$" or maybe just progressive voters fared well elsewhere. It must be frustrating to echo right-wing talking point in a city that isn't going Republican in the foreseeable future.

ahmad was one of the better known names in the election and has had a longer career than others already. Her immigrant story is unique and I feel most people believe she's a professional first and foremost. Harrity winning again kinda sucks. He just carried the same endorsements as Parker. He's been an empty suit so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia