Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 04:59 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times

Advertisements

Discussion of "old homes" in Phoenix humors me. Back in Michigan I lived in a home built in the 1890's.

As long as owners keep up on maintaining the home, your potential "old" home built when T2 was burning up the box office should be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Discussion of "old homes" in Phoenix humors me. Back in Michigan I lived in a home built in the 1890's.

As long as owners keep up on maintaining the home, your potential "old" home built when T2 was burning up the box office should be just fine.
You're right with the exception of the middle to late 80's (maybe even into the mid 90's) where "lick 'em and stick 'em houses were being built. Short nailing, T-111, short studding,scabbing boards together,cruddy laminate counters. Cheap,cheap,cheap and fast was the name of the game.
Personally I'd like a house from somewhere in the 60's. Usually they were built with lots of room where it counts and solid construction. Big kitchens,big living rooms and smaller bedrooms with decent to large yards. I mean really, how big of a bedroom does one need since your eyes are CLOSED most of the time you're in there.
Houses went from solid "high cost" construction with modest finishes to cheap initial construction with expensive eye candy finishes that do nothing but look pretty.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
There are some old gems in the Phoenix area, especially along Central Ave. (bridle path).

You're gonna have to sink your hard earned cash into any home that you purchase.

It's just a matter of where & when.......

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay View Post
we are looking to buy house in chandler/gilbert region for under 150K. I don't want to endup paying more because of extra maintenance due to the age of the house. So what built year time frame is safe to look at? I would prefer a newer construction but just in case it won't fit into my budget then how far back I should go, 1990-1995? 1995-1999? 2000+ or what?
I think the age of the home is more pertinent to the aesthetics than the maintenance level. People replace things as they break/age, not all at some specific year, so nearly any age home can be in any state of disrepair. But if you want to avoid the 'no longer in peak style' things like vaulted ceilings and oak cabinets, you'll want to shop the more current homes.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:03 PM

424 posts, read 952,890 times
As a part time builder, I always advice to stick with newer homes (newer than 2000). Newer homes more efficient appliances, AC units, etc. Most older homes have lower ceiling heights, less AC outlets, etc. If it gets too old then you have to worry about aluminum wiring, copper tubing throughout the house, and single pane windows.

I am kinda contradicting myself as I am looking for something in the historic districts. I realize I will have an expense on getting it updated but there is something about owning an old cool house.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post
As a part time builder, I always advice to stick with newer homes (newer than 2000). Newer homes more efficient appliances, AC units, etc. Most older homes have lower ceiling heights, less AC outlets, etc. If it gets too old then you have to worry about aluminum wiring, copper tubing throughout the house, and single pane windows.

I am kinda contradicting myself as I am looking for something in the historic districts. I realize I will have an expense on getting it updated but there is something about owning an old cool house.

Depends on how much older. I've got a soon to be 27 year old house with vaulted ceilings and plenty of AC registers, you are talking REALLY old. I'm not sure the OP is necessarily meaning that old. People replace appliances and AC units easily, my house has nothing original except the dishwasher.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:

I also wonder about the copper tubing comment. I assume you mean plumbing? If so, I'll take copper over the plastic tubing they use now any day.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I used to buy new then wised up on the last couple. Older houses are often on larger lots, closer to community amenities, more landscaping, interior and exteriors done (it costs a fortune to put all the junk in a new one and if you buy things like tile from a builder lord help you, you get scalped). Neighborhoods are often more stable, you know if there is a two story behind you or down the street blocking your view. Families have often been there for a while and are more friendly and welcoming. On the other hand, old can be bad in Phoenix as hoods often decline with age. So you have to watch for that.

I'm with observer on one thing: vaulted ceilings. They were the rage in the early 90s and homes today just don't have the spacious feeling of these older ones with the cathedral ceilings and all the plant shelves and other interior architectural touches they allow.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:

I also think it depends. As has been stated, oftentimes upgrades have already been made, such as new a/c units, appliances, etc. While high ceilings are lovely and tend to create a feeling of more space, it is also more space to air condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I also wonder about the copper tubing comment. I assume you mean plumbing? If so, I'll take copper over the plastic tubing they use now any day.
The "bad stuff" was polybutylene. Many upgraded their original polybutylele with copper, which is definitely an improvement. The best for our area though is PEX.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I also think it depends. As has been stated, oftentimes upgrades have already been made, such as new a/c units, appliances, etc. While high ceilings are lovely and tend to create a feeling of more space, it is also more space to air condition.

The "bad stuff" was polybutylene. Many upgraded their original polybutylele with copper, which is definitely an improvement. The best for our area though is PEX.
Who told you that? PEX leaches MTBE particularly when new at rates that greatly exceed safe drinking water standards. It is permeable to oils and things like pesticides. I produces toxic smoke in fires. The standards in place for PEX in many states (I don't know about AZ) call for a life of 25 years which is less than the typical mortgage lasts. I don't necessarily think it is bad, but it is hardly head and shoulders over copper and not something that I would base a purchase decision (one way or another) on.

I built a home addition in Oklahoma with PEX plumbing and had and interesting problem. During the winter when it was unoccupied, mice (or worse) would nibble holes in it and it would leak. More interesting: they only ate the red pipes. Must be cherry flavored. It is easy to fix, though.

What PEX is, is cheap and easy to install so builders can have minimally skilled workers put it in and pay them peanuts.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-02-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area