Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM

39,129 posts, read 51,424,112 times

Advertisements

Here's lots of data including that showing Tucson is more humid as a rule.

Average Relative Humidity(%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM

272 posts, read 611,354 times
Same data, through 2002, from NOAA.

Sorry - that's the most recent I can find in table format.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Swamp coolers are mostly a Tucson thing. Very few people here in the Phoenix area use a swamp cooler as their only cooling source; more people use them for spring and fall cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think they are getting rare in newer construction in Tucson as well. I have one on my patio. I used to have a piggy back Goettl. Saved me a bundle and I love, just love, the smell of new aspen pads in early summer! Like the orange blossoms and flowers on Baseline, it is a part of Phoenix now lost.
I'd also like to know why evaps are disappearing. We've been looking at older houses online (I like the 60s slump-block ranch style), and consider it a plus if it has a swamp. Sure, chances are, it'll have to be replaced as soon as we move in - but in comparison to an AC, the unit itself is cheap. Inexpensive to run, also. I know they have to be maintained (lack of maintenance leading to the derogatory nickname "swamp cooler"), but it's not THAT difficult. A close friend of mine, who had almost no mechanical skills whatsoever, dealt with the seasonal maintenance without any issues. Ran his until the monsoon kicked in, used A/C for the duration, then swamp again as soon as the dewpoint dropped. He figured he was saving ~$250/mo using the evap.

I remember Valley TV/radio weather forecasts including temp outputs for single- and two-stage evaps. That was 20 yrs ago. Now, there's little info available online concerning two-stage evaps - you can find them, but they're few and far between.

We've already decided to add an evap if the house we buy doesn't have one. Even if it costs $3000-$4000 (which I doubt - how much does it cost to run a water line and enough ductwork to tie the output to the main HVAC duct?), we'll recoup that within 6-7 yrs.

Any theories/facts? It's already been shown that the valley's relative humidity is NOT increasing, so there have got to be other factors that I'm just not seeing.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM

39,129 posts, read 51,424,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I'd also like to know why evaps are disappearing. We've been looking at older houses online (I like the 60s slump-block ranch style), and consider it a plus if it has a swamp. Sure, chances are, it'll have to be replaced as soon as we move in - but in comparison to an AC, the unit itself is cheap. Inexpensive to run, also. I know they have to be maintained (lack of maintenance leading to the derogatory nickname "swamp cooler"), but it's not THAT difficult. A close friend of mine, who had almost no mechanical skills whatsoever, dealt with the seasonal maintenance without any issues. Ran his until the monsoon kicked in, used A/C for the duration, then swamp again as soon as the dewpoint dropped. He figured he was saving ~$250/mo using the evap.

I remember Valley TV/radio weather forecasts including temp outputs for single- and two-stage evaps. That was 20 yrs ago. Now, there's little info available online concerning two-stage evaps - you can find them, but they're few and far between.

We've already decided to add an evap if the house we buy doesn't have one. Even if it costs $3000-$4000 (which I doubt - how much does it cost to run a water line and enough ductwork to tie the output to the main HVAC duct?), we'll recoup that within 6-7 yrs.

Any theories/facts? It's already been shown that the valley's relative humidity is NOT increasing, so there have got to be other factors that I'm just not seeing.
Get some UP-Dux to go with that cooler. They allow you to keep the windows closed and push heat out at the ceiling level.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Get some UP-Dux to go with that cooler. They allow you to keep the windows closed and push heat out at the ceiling level.
Yup. My friend always had the kitchen window cracked whenever the evap was running. When we were looking at homes in Albuquerque (again, older homes - most with evap and A/C), many had side-draft vents to the outdoors in each room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area