Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,658,774 times

Advertisements

Not to over simplify things here but I saved a TON of money last summer by using a swamp cooler. For most of the summer it proved to be very effective in cooling the place and it did it for almost nothing but a little bit of water and a few cents a day in electricity.
The only time it didn't do the job was when the humidity climbed during the monsoons in the afternoon. Other than that, I was very happy with it.
Amazingly simple and very cost effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,089,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Not removing old window frames is like buying a new car with half of its parts already being used and old.

The window frame makes up 50% of the thermal value of the window. Plus many newer windows will not work properly in a 15 year old window frame. What about resealing the window frame membranes? Those don't last forever, they have a 20-30 year life span. How would you put in a vinyl window within an aluminum window frame?
I'm not saying it's a great idea nor am I saying it's something that I'd do, I wouldn't and didn't because I could afford not to. With that being said for someone who's in the position of tight funds and doesn't want to tear up the walls it is an alternative.
Quote:
The insulation method you speak of never gets full consolidation. You can't get around the proper method of installing insulation PRIOR to drywall install. While it is better than not doing anything, drilling holes and blowing in cellulose will never result in proper full consolidation.
Here's the thing, of course insulating the house before the "rock" is up is the best way but we're talking about an old house where that's not possible so other than ripping out the walls blowing it in is pretty much the only other way.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm not saying it's a great idea nor am I saying it's something that I'd do, I wouldn't and didn't because I could afford not to. With that being said for someone who's in the position of tight funds and doesn't want to tear up the walls it is an alternative.

Here's the thing, of course insulating the house before the "rock" is up is the best way but we're talking about an old house where that's not possible so other than ripping out the walls blowing it in is pretty much the only other way.
When I built houses in Tucson, we would furr over slump block. Insulation was an optional upgrade! Many people opted for the ceiling insulation but far fewer for walls. We also built some with siding panels over studs and they ALWAYS had batts and blown in R30 up top. That was 40 years ago though. When the oil embargo hit in the 80s, codes required insulation and the stucco and Styrofoam wall became the standard of construction. Any house built with stucco and foam undoubtedly has batts and Styrofoam plus R30 in the ceiling. Some homes have 2x6 walls, but it is not ubiquitous by any means even in new construction.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,402,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Not to over simplify things here but I saved a TON of money last summer by using a swamp cooler. For most of the summer it proved to be very effective in cooling the place and it did it for almost nothing but a little bit of water and a few cents a day in electricity.
The only time it didn't do the job was when the humidity climbed during the monsoons in the afternoon. Other than that, I was very happy with it.
Amazingly simple and very cost effective.
Swamp coolers are mostly a Tucson thing. Very few people here in the Phoenix area use a swamp cooler as their only cooling source; more people use them for spring and fall cooling.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Swamp coolers are mostly a Tucson thing. Very few people here in the Phoenix area use a swamp cooler as their only cooling source; more people use them for spring and fall cooling.
I think they are getting rare in newer construction in Tucson as well. I have one on my patio. I used to have a piggy back Goettl. Saved me a bundle and I love, just love, the smell of new aspen pads in early summer! Like the orange blossoms and flowers on Baseline, it is a part of Phoenix now lost.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,879,619 times
One of the reasons why swamp coolers are no longer being utilized in newer homes is because there has been a climate shift in Phoenix. The humidity levels in Phoenix are much higher and last for much longer than they did decades ago. People argue as to WHY, some blame the huge amount of outdoor pools, the golf courses and their water loads, residential homes installing grass, population growth, etc.

It does get humid in Phoenix from July - October and the humidity levels can be brutal at times. I believe all the above factors do play a role in why Phoenix gets so humid and stays humid longer than it did decades ago. Swamp coolers are a defunct method of cooling because Phoenix is no longer as "dry" as it was years ago.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
One of the reasons why swamp coolers are no longer being utilized in newer homes is because there has been a climate shift in Phoenix. The humidity levels in Phoenix are much higher and last for much longer than they did decades ago. People argue as to WHY, some blame the huge amount of outdoor pools, the golf courses and their water loads, residential homes installing grass, population growth, etc.

It does get humid in Phoenix from July - October and the humidity levels can be brutal at times. I believe all the above factors do play a role in why Phoenix gets so humid and stays humid longer than it did decades ago. Swamp coolers are a defunct method of cooling because Phoenix is no longer as "dry" as it was years ago.
This is a common misconception. Had you researched it you would have found that increased pavement and rooftops and concrete from urbanization has actually reduced the humidity in the Phoenix area over the years. Subdivisions and streets and malls put much less water into the air than irrigated cotton and alfalfa fields.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-08-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,402,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This is a common misconception. Had you researched it you would have found that increased pavement and rooftops and concrete from urbanization has actually reduced the humidity in the Phoenix area over the years. Subdivisions and streets and malls put much less water into the air than irrigated cotton and alfalfa fields.
Exactly. According to weather stats that I have been reading, average humidity in Phoenix is actually LOWER than in Tucson, yet in Tucson swamp coolers are still very common on existing homes.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 02-08-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,763,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Exactly. According to weather stats that I have been reading, average humidity in Phoenix is actually LOWER than in Tucson, yet in Tucson swamp coolers are still very common on existing homes.
Please provide a pointer to statistics that suggest Tucson is more humid than Phoenix.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 PM

272 posts, read 611,174 times
NOAA data - Phoenix Monsoon 2011

Tucson Monsoon 2011

At least for the 2011 monsoon, Tucson was more humid than Phoenix.
I'll try to track down data for the rest of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area