Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,764,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Seems like a really good idea to me. Every county needs a Joe Arpio.
AGREE, Steve Pickering . . . we definitely need a Sheriff Joe in Pima County.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,035,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Good point jdahunt...If you're looking for a place to do the most damage you're going to a place with the least amount of security which unfortunately are schools. Now I don't think just any yahoo should able to carry in school but with the proper training, along with updated training throughout the school year I think this is a good start.

Reality is cacto the world isn't all rainbows and roses and just like a lot of things through life we need to make changes. If that means putting trained security in our schools than I'm all for it. Maybe this is a little "glorified" because it's Seagal but this wouldn't even be an issue if it was someone like Massad Ayoob.
Unfortunately in this day and age I have to agree with this. I am not a member of the NRA, nor any militant group, nor any leftist or rightest organization, nor any political group. I'm just an ordinary voting citizen who wants to protect all my children and give them the best life possible while raising them in the greatest free country in the world. If that means from today into the future that armed entities are needed on school campuses, then so be it. "Better safe than sorry"! I don't care who provides this as long as all those who are involved are "vetted" from the bottom on up to the top. Noone in this chain should be overlooked in any way, shape or form because the bottom line is, all our children, grandchildren, and all children in general should be made the safest as we can possibly make them, period! This is not a political or social issue, but an issue of common sense and inherent humanism no matter who you are or where you come from. Obviously the future of the world is dependent on this issue. No matter your age, race, sexual orientation, political bias, familial status, nationality, personal preference or or any other special or ordinary situation in life, we have one common bond, and that is to protect our children in all ways possible. Does the end justify the means? Absolutely where the subject of my and your children are involved!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,245,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I'm only referring to playing up the Steven Seagall angle, not the announcement of the plan itself. However the flip side of your argument could be that some future nutcase might see Joe's publicity seeking as a challenege and actually target one of our schools. As a parent of a child who goes to a school that this so-called posse will be guarding, that possibility scares the hell out of me.
One could also say if the media didn't broadcast school tragedies or any mass shootings in general, they wouldn't be giving other nutcases ideas.

Whether we like it or not, the bottom line is that the mere presence of armed security is more of a deterrent than a motivator.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,805,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I don't see what's wrong with this?

Seagal is a 7th-Dan black belt in Aikido and one heck of a marksman. Just because he's a hollywood actor don't let that fool you. For once Arpaio seems like he's trying to do something good. I think he can help a lot in the training with the sheriffs "posse".
I'm not a fan of Seagal, the actor, simply because I don't like those types of movies. However, like many other actors, he is not a one trick pony. He has these martial art skills that take years of training and dedication to achieve, and I applaud the fact that he is willing to volunteer his time for this project. Acting is just a profession that some people choose to enter, even though they possess other marketable skills.

And, wasn't one of the presidents of our United States of America once an actor?

Critics of Joe will use everything they can to to make Joe look bad; but he keeps on going and ignoring the critics; like the Energizer Bunny! Go Joe; keep doing these positive things. The people who elected you appreciate what you do.

I also applaud the members of the Posse, citizens of various ages who are willing to volunteer their spare time to help protect our county. I've met quite a few of them, and the ones I've met are outstanding people. Some carry a weapon, and others don't. The few I've spoken to, who do not carry, say it's only because that they don't have the money to buy the weapon. They have little money, yet they are willing to volunteer their time to help their county, and in this particular case; our children.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,632,226 times
Well, I see an increase in homeschooling. lol

If only this were for our children's protection because we have no other solution then it would be heroic, but it's not. It's to protect gun rights. That's why, he gets votes from those who want to protect their gun rights, despite the fact that people die in hordes because we have the right. Casualty control is all it is because when children die gun owners look bad, so, it's an attempt to make them look good. Seems to work on those who own a gun. I'm not for gun control and I also justified these tragedies. But, it's getting to be to much for me now. IMO, it's gone to far now.

If you fight for the right to carry a gun, then you accept the fact that there will always be casualties associated with this right. That's the way it goes. Arming schools doesn't change that fact. There will still be shootings that kill our children. But, we can just wait and watch. No getting around this fact though, arming schools doesn't justify anything.

It would be nice if gun owners would just admit that gun rights out weigh casualties, including children as they don't only lose their lives at school from guns, they kill themselves and others with them as well.

I drive a car and fully understand that accepting this mode of transportation has casualties associated with it. My auto wasn't designed to kill effectively like a gun but it still does kill a certain percent of the population including children. Guns are no different. If they are going to be accepted as part of our societies right then we have to accept the casualties that are associated with it. Maybe gun insurance will come up as a solution to how much this costs us in medical.

Banning guns would work to decrease a significant number of these injuries and deaths. As would out lawing the automobile. But, we are dependent on our cars, and it seems we are dependent on our guns. So, people will continue to fall causality to this choice. Arming schools won't solve that issue, only increase the risk of casualties at schools. IMO, of course. It's just an attempt at seat belting. We know what would actually work but we also realize that threatens our individual wants. It's not worth it apparently.

IMO, it would help more if we stop ignoring mental illness, poverty and parental education in our schools. We should be teaching our children about these rights we fight for and the casualties that are associated with them.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-11-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

606 posts, read 1,609,649 times
[mod cut- off topic for local forum]

So if racist-jerk Sheriff Joe and lame-fat actor Steven Seagal want to train guards and then arm them and then place them in my child's school; I will be thankful to Joe and Steven for that, and I will personally shake that Guard's hand when I go to pick up my son from school, as his sole purpose there is to prevent our children from being murdered. EOR.

Last edited by observer53; 02-14-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, I see an increase in homeschooling. lol

If only this were for our children's protection because we have no other solution then it would be heroic, but it's not. It's to protect gun rights. That's why, he gets votes from those who want to protect their gun rights, despite the fact that people die in hordes because we have the right. Casualty control is all it is because when children die gun owners look bad, so, it's an attempt to make them look good. Seems to work on those who own a gun. I'm not for gun control and I also justified these tragedies. But, it's getting to be to much for me now. IMO, it's gone to far now.
This is the root cause of the issue indeed. In a country with strict gun control like Germany, about 150 people are shot every year (suicides, accidents and crimes) out of a population of ~82.5 mio. About every ten years a police officer is killed. Compare this to about 13k gun victims (suicides, accidents and crimes) and at least one police officer killed in Maricopa county alone every year. It shows that gun control and regulations work in that they save many lives. Population adjusted there are about 23 times (!) as many gun killings (suicides, accidents and crimes) in the US vs. Germany. Being a police officer in the US is way, way more dangerous than in Germany. If Sheriff Arpaio would be interested in the well-being of his own staff, let alone the public and school children in his area, he would advocate for gun control rather than pursue showmanship with actors and posse.
BTW the opposite case can be made for alcohol. In Germany, there are many more alcohol related crimes, particularly traffic killings. In Germany, there is way not enough control and restrictions on alcohol use by below 21 year-olds and in traffic in general. I'm glad we have much more restrictions on alcohol here, resulting again in many saved lives. It shows again - regulations work and save lives.
I don't care what your ideological or political preferences are - don't walk over dead bodies for them. Human life protection is the most important, even if it means to restrict lethal substances or weapons.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,081,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Who the hell are these volunteers? Some guy with a gun in our kids schools. How do we know they're sound people? It's sad that the America we live in today includes armed guards in our elementary schools and even sadder that a lot of citizens don't see what's wrong with that.
So what's the answer? Yes it's sad that there's now (and has been) a need for armed persons in our schools but we can either wring our hands and moan about how sad it is and wish it better while the schools remain an easy target or we can realize that schools are as important as banks if not more so and protect them. Would you rather take money from other areas or raise taxes to put paid officers on site or use trained volunteers who are willing to give their time (and possibly their lives) for the benefit of their community.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,513,297 times
Nickelbag Joe is a media hound and will do anything for attention whether it's right or wrong, his teaming up with a movie celebrity further proves this.

Simply being over the hill, overweight, angry-acting, mean-looking, and and not very photogenic is embarrassing everytime Arpaio appears on camera.

When the rest of the nation has to look at him and listen to his babble it's even more of an embarrassment for us.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,081,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Nickelbag Joe is a media hound and will do anything for attention whether it's right or wrong, his teaming up with a movie celebrity further proves this.

Simply being over the hill, overweight, angry-acting, mean-looking, and and not very photogenic is embarrassing everytime Arpaio appears on camera.

When the rest of the nation has to look at him and listen to his babble it's even more of an embarrassment for us.
So I'm guessing you didn't vote for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area