Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 PM

784 posts, read 924,586 times

Advertisements

I didn't say it was the main reason but it does have an influence...but imo it is a net positive for Phoenix.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM

13,886 posts, read 8,079,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
.... The failure to support and improve education in the state is the most serious impediment to quality growth in the future, not some old, publicity hound sheriff.

In Southern Cal. for example overall scores are quite poor but this doesn’t mean the school my brother's kids go it is bad. In fact it is very good.

It seems Az is similar. Nothing wrong with many of the schools in Gilbert or Chandler

Isn't the main reason school scores are down in AZ districts because English is a second language and/or education isn't given a high property in the home?

And if so, more money won't solve the problem of low test scores here anymore than it’s does in Cal.

Last edited by john3232; 02-16-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM

582 posts, read 1,483,995 times
Having a sheriff here who is part of the good ole boy system that is blocking change makes things worse. Arpaio won't change. The klan of people he is working with have a money agenda. Why do you think he was given millions of dollars to run for a measly county sheriffs race?

[mod edit-- off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 02-17-2013 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 PM

267 posts, read 693,776 times
Cap'n Bill's link particularly addressed the subject matter of training given to members of the Enforcement Support Posse. Will all sheriff's dept. volunteers be members of this posse will there be any particular level of training required for them, or will they come from all levels of training?

Would there be another source of information of the financial and legal obligations of the county for their volunteers?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Having a sheriff here who is part of the good ole boy system that is blocking change makes things worse. Arpaio won't change. The klan of people he is working with have a money agenda. Why do you think he was given millions of dollars to run for a measly county sheriffs race?

[mod edit-- off topic]
Specifically what change are you talking about? Immigration I'm guessing?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
The klan of people he is working with have a money agenda.
[mod edit-- off topic]
The klan....as in ku klux klan....really?

If that were true don't you think the Obama justice dept. would have found some charges to indict him with.....or maybe they are in on it with him.....no need to make this about race...its about following the law.

There have been many less Phoenix area children killed while on their way to school, while at school and on their way home from school then in Chicago....nothing wrong with being proactive.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In Southern Cal. for example overall scores are quite poor but this doesn’t mean the school my brother's kids go it is bad. In fact it is very good.

It seems Az is similar. Nothing wrong with many of the schools in Gilbert or Chandler

Isn't the main reason school scores are down in AZ districts because English is a second language and/or education isn't given a high property in the home?

And if so, more money won't solve the problem of low test scores here anymore than it’s does in Cal.
California has one of the best post-secondary education systems in the US and it is what fueled the tech boom in that state. Don't let test scores trick you. Like AZ, CA deals with millions of illegal aliens who can't speak, read or write English and have no culture of education. But for those who do graduate from HS, the opportunites for further education are among the best in the world.

No matter. Every business leader in the state has been begging the legislature to turn its attention from harassing illegals to improving education in Arizona. It is simply a fact. I guess they are all just crazy and don't realize that more wingnuts like Joe & Co. are the real path to prosperity.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-17-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 PM

As the talent, money and producing people flee the restrictions and high taxes of California there could be a huge benefit in Phoenix in attracting those people.

There is a reason California is a net negative in population flow and why Arizona is a net positive and its not because one has better schools than the other...it about what is best for their future.

Be thankful you have someone like Sheriff Joe that is a greatly respected by those that choose to come to Arizona.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM

97 posts, read 291,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post

Be thankful you have someone like Sheriff Joe that is a greatly respected by those that choose to come to Arizona.
You're kidding me right? Very few people respect bullies. We have some real problems with our concept of good law enforcement. We here in Phoenix are very sophisticated.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM

13,886 posts, read 8,079,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
California has one of the best post-secondary education systems in the US and it is what fueled the tech boom in that state. Don't let test scores trick you. Like AZ, CA deals with millions of illegal aliens who can't speak, read or write English and have no culture of education. But for those who do graduate from HS, the opportunites for further education are among the best in the world..
Yes, but the problem isn't those who graduate. The problem is those school districts in Southern Cal. for example which have a 50% drop out rate. This is what brings down the state ave. and I think the same applies to AZ.

And although the post-secondary ed. in AZ can't compare with Cal. I don't think this will keep people from moving here as long as the local elementary and high schools are good.

Personally I don't get it. My brother and his family live in Southern Cal and for what he earns ($90,000) he could live like a king in the Phx metro. (He works from home)

The dream house he always wanted he could afford and the public schools in Gilbert and Chandler are just as good as where his kids now go.

Unfortunately, the wife doesn’t want to move.

(Although they may not have a choice if Cal. property taxes rise. 90 grand doesn't go too far in Southern Cal. and they can't afford to an additional $7000 hit on taxes.)

My feeling is the controversy surrounding Sheriff Arpaio is a non-starter for most business and families thinking about moving here.

In fact I’ll bet many leaving Cal will think it’s good to see someone doing something about illegal immigration

Last edited by john3232; 02-17-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area