Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
With tomorrow being New Years Eve, does Jerry Riopelle still put on New Years Eve concerts in the Phoenix area? They were a must-do back in the 70s.
Not this year, but he played the Celebrity last year. Personally I have never understood the attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 15,153 times
Someone told me Phoenix didn't get Larks until 1964, so I was glad to see the picture taken in 1961. Thanks. In 1963, I had a high speed chase and running gun battle driving a Studebaker Lark, trying to catch a 57 or 58 Chevy from 7th street and the Arizona canal to 27th Ave and Thomas where they crashed through a fence and we nabbed both occupants. Got the Lark shot up pretty good but only one bullet hole in the Chevy. I was too busy driving, ducking, and advising radio where we were at so I never drew my gun or fired a shot, but a lot of other officers did. The two suspects had peeled the safe at the Arbor Inn, Central and the canal and drove east along the canal to where I jumped them at 7th street. Both were wanted felons. All I could get out of the Lark was 85 MPH, but still managed to stay on the Chevy's tail. Several officers got commendations, but I was still on my first year probation and probationers didn't get commendations.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
It was a Safeway in 1969 and Skaggs next door. West was a Gold Bond center, Sugar Plum Shop and Baskin Robbins. Across the street was a order and sit down BBQ Pit restaurant maybe called Jim's. I used to go there and get a half pound ground round steak, baked potato and salad for 99 cents which was incredibly cheap even then.

That was the Safeway and Skaggs my family shopped at when we lived in Phoenix from 1971-1976. There was also a Beauty Parlor and Barber Shop where my brothers and I had our hair cuts. There was a somewhat fancy restaurant there as well, the furniture at the restaurant was white frame chairs with yellow Naugahyde upholstery. My Dad, Mom, and oldest brother liked the place. My second brother was a picky kid, and I was between ages 4-9 then, a bit young for fancy food. I began like such food a few years later at 12-13-14. Loved Phoenix, still have many fond memories of that time and place! If I had a time machine, I would love to go on a vacation to back then! If it had been up to me, we never would have moved from the Valley Of The Sun!

[off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 12-31-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzee954 View Post
Someone told me Phoenix didn't get Larks until 1964, so I was glad to see the picture taken in 1961. Thanks. In 1963, I had a high speed chase and running gun battle driving a Studebaker Lark, trying to catch a 57 or 58 Chevy from 7th street and the Arizona canal to 27th Ave and Thomas where they crashed through a fence and we nabbed both occupants. Got the Lark shot up pretty good but only one bullet hole in the Chevy. I was too busy driving, ducking, and advising radio where we were at so I never drew my gun or fired a shot, but a lot of other officers did. The two suspects had peeled the safe at the Arbor Inn, Central and the canal and drove east along the canal to where I jumped them at 7th street. Both were wanted felons. All I could get out of the Lark was 85 MPH, but still managed to stay on the Chevy's tail. Several officers got commendations, but I was still on my first year probation and probationers didn't get commendations.
A little late, but we commend you, elzee954! Thanks for your service!

Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,771 times
Smile L.Hiram(Larry)Adams

Hi

Just came across and article regarding former Smitty's employees dated Janruary 10,2009. reunion. Well Lois and I knew Smitty when we came to Meas in November Clyde used to sell us meat and produce at the old E. Meas Market a Mom&Pops. Then we followed him on to 35th&Bethany Home rd and were regulars there for years.

Lois is gone now but every Friday nite after work we went down and ate fish and becamne friends with many of the old waitresses two of which are my neighbors where i have lived on W Berridge Ln now for 48 years. I wish Clyde and his family the very best if he is still with us. By the way Clyde you knew my first boss when I started my career in finance in August 1957, Jack Marshall who's family were founders of Marshalltown Iowa and I think you and Jack may have worked in his familie's store after school I know that Jack did.

[please don't post email addresses or phone numbers. You can be contacted through this site]

In memory of Lois M. Adams March 2,1927-November 18,2009 2:38 PM MST

L. Hiram(Larry)Adams
Phoenix,AZ

Last edited by observer53; 12-31-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidEwok View Post
That was the Safeway and Skaggs my family shopped at when we lived in Phoenix from 1971-1976. There was also a Beauty Parlor and Barber Shop where my brothers and I had our hair cuts. There was a somewhat fancy restaurant there as well, the furniture at the restaurant was white frame chairs with yellow Naugahyde upholstery. My Dad, Mom, and oldest brother liked the place. My second brother was a picky kid, and I was between ages 4-9 then, a bit young for fancy food. I began like such food a few years later at 12-13-14. Loved Phoenix, still have many fond memories of that time and place! If I had a time machine, I would love to go on a vacation to back then! If it had been up to me, we never would have moved from the Valley Of The Sun!
The beauty shop was called the Biltmore Beauty College. You may be talking about Hobo Joe's that was on 20th Street.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM

3,165 posts, read 1,157,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The beauty shop was called the Biltmore Beauty College. You may be talking about Hobo Joe's that was on 20th Street.
where was a Hobo Joe's on 20th? I do recall a coffee shop just down Thomas toward 24 st., probably next to Green Gables. Can't remember the name though.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
where was a hobo joe's on 20th? I do recall a coffee shop just down thomas toward 24 st., probably next to green gables. Can't remember the name though.
Please see last picture...........

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01098.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	123131

Name:	DSC01099.JPG
Views:	647
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	123132

Name:	DSC01100.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	123133

Name:	DSC01101.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	123134

Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
where was a Hobo Joe's on 20th? I do recall a coffee shop just down Thomas toward 24 st., probably next to Green Gables. Can't remember the name though.
I remember that one very well. Some friends and I in high school stopped there late at night after going to a movie, and a creepy guy at the counter started talking to us about how to slit throats with a knife! We high-tailed it out of there, and he followed us into the parking lot while we peeled rubber outta there.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,089,545 times
NW corner 20th and Thomas, right across from the Baskin and Robbins that was in the Safeway strip. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area