Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 06:15 PM

41 posts, read 95,069 times

Advertisements

Here's a few more Phoenix related videos.

Goin' Home episode of the Movin' On TV series.

PT. 1.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/356414

Pt.2.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/356418

Cher movie "Chastity". Broken into multiple parts but here's the link to part 1.

Pt. 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPtH_EYJAtY

The full Waylon special from Mr. Lucky's 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glcG6VpWTf8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM

46 posts, read 105,757 times
what street addresses did they film movin' on, and chastity at? anybody know? thanks.

Last edited by hotashell; 06-09-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Some of Movin' On was filmed near Saguaro HS. One of my classmates lived on one of the streets, but I can't recall its name. Looking up his name has no effect, since he died 30 years ago. Vicinity of 86th and McDonald?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 PM

41 posts, read 95,069 times
Been a while since I've watched either in entirety but the one house in Movin' On looks like it really was 521 East Portland, now since torn down and Uncle mikes house looks to be on the corner of 27 Ave? and something. The truck races were on one of the old Army Airfields, can't tell which.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-screenshot-19-.png
521 center house in pic, click to enlarge. From historic Aerials, 1978.

Other episodes here as well, there's another that featured Phoenix Greyhound Park.

Part 1 OR 2? of Chastity shows the old McDonald's on Central and Macayo's before the terraced garden and stuccoed sign.

Last edited by Barbarosa; 06-09-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM

8 posts, read 23,810 times
Dave Bob,

I used to swim at Dick Smith's Swim Gym on the swim team. I do remember Bernie Wrightson, The Moore family (Kerry, Kendis and Rory, Bill Metler, Hurberta Jessic, Mike Ahern and Marilyn Raminofsky (sp). There were more, these names stuck in my mind.
The pool was 25 yards and quite small and it was heated in the winter. Practice was was 3 times a week. The divers would practice first and then the swimmers would take the pool. It was amazing how many swimmers could work out together in the same pool. But we did! I even remember Dick talking to Bernie after work out. 'Now, Bernie..etc' lol. Actually, there was an underwater microphone Dick would talk into so you could hear him underwater but he just used it for the divers, if I remember correctly. You can't hear underwater when you're swimming hard.
The divers were so GOOD. Leslie Bush, Patsy Willard, Win Young, Celeste Silva. There was more but my memory is hazy on the names. Also there was a helper coach, Chuck McMayon. He worked with the divers on the in ground trampolines in the back of the gym. He'd call out a dive (i.e. a double twisting one and a half) and Win Young would do it on the trampoline (but of course land on his feet). He was an astounding talent!
Once I got to high school I lost my enthusiasim. It was the 60's and a new generation was dawning. The BEST generation there ever was... But the Swim Gym will always be part of my life and Dick Smith was a wonderful coach and man. He was always kind in the way he coached and never raised his voice. He praised you when you did good, too.
ps I had a crush on Bill Metler!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:10 AM

46 posts, read 105,757 times
where else did they film movin' on? like the goodwill, st. vincent de paul locations?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesGal1 View Post
Dave Bob,

I used to swim at Dick Smith's Swim Gym on the swim team. I do remember Bernie Wrightson, The Moore family (Kerry, Kendis and Rory, Bill Metler, Hurberta Jessic, Mike Ahern and Marilyn Raminofsky (sp). There were more, these names stuck in my mind.
The pool was 25 yards and quite small and it was heated in the winter. Practice was was 3 times a week. The divers would practice first and then the swimmers would take the pool. It was amazing how many swimmers could work out together in the same pool. But we did! I even remember Dick talking to Bernie after work out. 'Now, Bernie..etc' lol. Actually, there was an underwater microphone Dick would talk into so you could hear him underwater but he just used it for the divers, if I remember correctly. You can't hear underwater when you're swimming hard.
The divers were so GOOD. Leslie Bush, Patsy Willard, Win Young, Celeste Silva. There was more but my memory is hazy on the names. Also there was a helper coach, Chuck McMayon. He worked with the divers on the in ground trampolines in the back of the gym. He'd call out a dive (i.e. a double twisting one and a half) and Win Young would do it on the trampoline (but of course land on his feet). He was an astounding talent!
Once I got to high school I lost my enthusiasim. It was the 60's and a new generation was dawning. The BEST generation there ever was... But the Swim Gym will always be part of my life and Dick Smith was a wonderful coach and man. He was always kind in the way he coached and never raised his voice. He praised you when you did good, too.
ps I had a crush on Bill Metler!
Thanks for sharing your memories of the Swim Gym! Mine are hazy because I was probably only about 8, taking beginning swim lessons. I remember divers practicing on the trampolines.
Chuck McMahon was also a PE coach at Arcadia HS when I took freshman PE. He was not very tall, with grayish hair in a crewcut.
He would tell the guys in his class, "You're a McMahon-trained man!"

Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM

285 posts, read 904,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotashell View Post
where else did they film movin' on? like the goodwill, st. vincent de paul locations?
Vinny's and Goodwill were featured. I recognized the old Farmer John warehouse (building with the farm mural) and across the street was the old mens homeless shelter.
One scene showed the truckers coming down the 7th Ave bridge (northbound). If you looked closely, you could see the old 7th Ave Hotel and a corner of the Phoenix P-D Headquarters.
The downtown Valley Center was included (now Chase Bank, for the newcomers).

As for the airstrip where the race was held, I want to say it's the old Luke Aux. #6, (33.44 N/112.52 W) due to the mountains included in some background shots (White Tank Mountains?). I could be mistaken, just speculating here.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
I'm going to add something that is not unique to Phoenix, it's pretty universal. I'm here in the city I grew up in helping my mom move to a new place, and I went and visited my old elementary school. It seems so much smaller than when I was a third grader. Then I looked at my old house, and noticed how tiny the front yard is. It seemed to take hours to mow and weed that yard back in the sixties and seventies. Of course, back then it had a lawn, like everyone else, only weird people had rock yards. Now it's a xeriscape. So much easier to take care of. They were on to something. (I had gravel for my yard in Tucson)

Something that has been mentioned more recently, I noticed today on Scottsdale Road. None of the places I remember as a youth, except the Pink Pony and Sugar Bowl are still there. No real reverence for the historic. It was built in the 70s and remodeled in the 90s? Bulldoze it! I guess on the plus side there are far more brewpubs than when I was at ASU with MinderBinders and Timothy O'Toole's and the famous (or rather, the infamous) Devil House.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:25 AM

16 posts, read 39,211 times
Everything was bigger. You were half as tall. And almost all modern metropolis wanna be territories are adopting the contemporary fascia. You want ol, school? Check out Van buren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area