Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 10:41 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,151 times
My ex -father-in-law had what was probably the first Chinese restaurant in Mesa AZ. When the city officials asked him if he would serve black baseball players when baseball was integrated, he said the only color he was interested in was green. He was a very good man.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 AM
BEJ

26 posts, read 60,948 times
Default By The Time I Get To Phoenix

Glen Campbell made the song popular in 1969. I always wondered from where he started. Maybe LA ?

Old 08-30-2019, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 13,611 times
Default Skiff School

I also looked awhile back for info on Skiff School, but found scant. There was a Wilson School alumni group---Wilson was the larger and the flagship school in the district--but that's about it. I attended Skiff in the early 50's, third through seventh grade. Still remember all my teachers. We had a couple of portable classrooms; I was in one in the fourth grade. But generally the school was modern, clean and with a large playground. One of my biggest shocks was shopping downtown at Penney's on a Saturday and running into our school principal selling shoes. I assume teachers were not paid any better in those days.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:00 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Glen Campbell made the song popular in 1969. I always wondered from where he started. Maybe LA ?
Glen was part of a studio musicians group in L A known as the wrecking crew. They were the best of the best and played on just about every record that came out of LA at that time.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:43 AM

23 posts, read 38,174 times
Glendale Motors, Inc. at 165 E. Grand Ave, Glendale, AZ

Cleaning out some old papers and found an old envelope with this name and address. It also had the old FORD logo on it in color. Since the address does not fit into the present system of street numbering it must have been sometime ago. The envelope was in my Wife's Family documents etc. I suppose Sanderson Ford replaced Glendale Motors Ford?

Old 09-04-2019, 03:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juke46 View Post
Glendale Motors, Inc. at 165 E. Grand Ave, Glendale, AZ

Cleaning out some old papers and found an old envelope with this name and address. It also had the old FORD logo on it in color. Since the address does not fit into the present system of street numbering it must have been sometime ago. The envelope was in my Wife's Family documents etc. I suppose Sanderson Ford replaced Glendale Motors Ford?
Good guess. Given that 59th Ave was likely the E/W divider in the old numbering system, the address sound about right.

Quote:
History of Sanderson Ford

Don Sanderson Ford began operations on May 1, 1955. Our original dealership was located at 5630 NW Grand in Glendale. Prior to that time, the dealership had operated as Glendale Motors.
https://sandersonford.com/About-Us

Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM

59 posts, read 43,492 times
Reading these posts makes me miss Phoenix a lot. I haven't lived there since 1999 but go back at least once a year.

Some of my favorite places as a kid:
Metrocenter food court when it still had the airplane theme and the ice skating rink was still there, "The Alley" in Metro also, it's where they did the old time style photos. I went to Metro on my last visit, made me sad. My first job was in the Waldenbooks there.
Bobby McGees restaurant where all the staff dressed up in costumes.
Bill Johnsons Big apple, the waitresses all wore six shooters and I really liked their apple pie dessert

Remember the Kon Tiki hotel? We never stayed there but I was always fascinated by it as a kid when we drove by.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:34 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
Reading these posts makes me miss Phoenix a lot. I haven't lived there since 1999 but go back at least once a year.

Some of my favorite places as a kid:
Metrocenter food court when it still had the airplane theme and the ice skating rink was still there, "The Alley" in Metro also, it's where they did the old time style photos. I went to Metro on my last visit, made me sad. My first job was in the Waldenbooks there.
Bobby McGees restaurant where all the staff dressed up in costumes.
Bill Johnsons Big apple, the waitresses all wore six shooters and I really liked their apple pie dessert

Remember the Kon Tiki hotel? We never stayed there but I was always fascinated by it as a kid when we drove by.

I always thought the Kon Tiki was so 'exotic'. I never stayed there but did have dinner there once. In later years it kind of went downhill and it'll never be what it was back when. Well, the whole area kind of went to the dogs. When I was a kid I was more fascinated by all the motels on Van Buren. So many of them!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
Michael's Apple Pie was located just south of Camelback on the east side of Central. It was connected to Oasis Waterbeds. Best Head Shop in Phoenix in the mid to late 70's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area