Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I have a menu, coffee is 15 cents so an early one. On the back is a list of hobo symbols. Your Old Fashioned Hobo Stew is $1.25 with buttermilk bread and butter. I note the stew is seeped in beef gravy, your cholesterol must have been through the roof.

Attachment 67783 I wonder if any Hobo statues were stolen. Bob's had that problem, also I think someone tried to steal Humpty Dumpty on Central above Camelback once.
Read an article a while back that said Hobo Joe's was started started By Robert Goldwater (Barry's brother) and 2 other partners in the mid-60's. They later sold out to a California concern. Interestingly, Humpty Dumpty's was another outfit that was started by the same 3 partners.

Joe Orman's Photo Pages - Hobo Joe Statues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,159 times
Nice picture Roosevelt. I always look at cars. Almost every car in this photo is made by General Motors. Remember those days? The newest being a 1957. Look how the next block to the east is completely unimproved. We were talking about this and the Cinema Portifino right across the street. Thanks for your contributions. I hope this doesn't get me publicly reprimanded for being off topic, but did you ever listen to Jim Spero and Paul B. Mundt on KUPD? Do you recall their theme song that was about the biggest hit in Phoenix. "The Sounds of the City," by the Johnny Mann Singers. Johnny Mann recorded that all over the country for different radio markets. I used to have a copy on 45rpm. KSFO in San Francisco still has their version on line. 1959-1960.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM

155 posts, read 477,793 times
Quote:
Attachment 67790Some people were talking about the Kiva Theater.

Yea, great pic of the Kiva and Lulu Belles roosevelt. My friends father that lived across the street in Scottsdale growing up in the 60's played in a band there at Lulu Belles on the weekends. A lot of memories in that pic for me after terrorizing the local merchants in old Scottsdale all summer on our Sting Ray bikes.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
This is just incredible, look at these pictures of the Safari Hotel.

I used to eat in the coffee shop all the time, loved the Swedish pancakes.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Thanks for those, roosevelt. You always manage to push my "memories buttons". When I was in high school, my mom and I would go to breakfast sometimes at the Safari, and then she'd drop me off at school and go to her schoolteaching job. The last time I was there was when I was in college... some friends and I went to see someone at the French Quarter (which was THE place to be back in its day, before that time). I don't remember who, though.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
The Safari coffee shop photos are very early. They must have remodeled the coffee shop later in the early 60's into a larger place like the picture in the brochure. The Safari owner Ritter used to live across the street from me. Very nice fellow.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM

83 posts, read 311,211 times
Quote:
This is just incredible, look at these pictures of the Safari Hotel.

I used to eat in the coffee shop all the time, loved the Swedish pancakes.
my neighbors husband was the head chef at the Safari from the early 70's until they closed i believe.

i would love to have that Willeys or those VW buses from those pictures today!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,995 times
Default Hijacked Hobo's

Quote:
I wonder if any Hobo statues were stolen. Bob's had that problem, also I think someone tried to steal Humpty Dumpty on Central above Camelback once.
The Hobo Joe's that used to be on the SW corner of 43rd Ave & Glendale had the statue stolen and replaced so many times, they finally gave up and stopped replacing it. A large planter/flower garden thingy still stands there today in the parking lot of what is now a Denny's. (yuk)

That land was originally owned by the Ortega family. Their son went to school at Barcelona and Alhambra High with Willie. We all thought they were poor kids and maybe they were but not after pops sold the land to the developers and a Frys went in. Cha-ching!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,305 times
a little off the subject, but does anyone remember a ninja movie filmed in Phoenix in ..I'm guessing, the early 80's. lots of scenes around Papago park. I recall one scene on the golf course there at Papago, then they went up to the hole in the rock there. Also remember car chase scenes through the nearby river bottom with the police driving those big tan/biege plymouths..remember those!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
a little off the subject, but does anyone remember a ninja movie filmed in Phoenix in ..I'm guessing, the early 80's. lots of scenes around Papago park. I recall one scene on the golf course there at Papago, then they went up to the hole in the rock there. Also remember car chase scenes through the nearby river bottom with the police driving those big tan/biege plymouths..remember those!
I'm not finding anything that sounds like it here:

Movies Filmed in Arizona - Movies Made in Arizona 1980 - 1989

on either the pre-1980 or post-1980 list... but they are fun lists to read!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area