Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I have about 30 of these supplements plus a few dozen Republics from the early 40's. The car and house ads are fun to read, plus what they advertised for in roommates and renters.

Remember when the help wanted section in the classifieds was divided into male and female. When I started Phoenix College in '71 there were Police Science classes that I wasn't allowed to take because I wasn't a guy...even though it was only an elective. Some things have changed for the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Remember when Camelback Rd west of I-17 from 27th Ave to 43rd Ave was still one lane each way without storm drains? It used to flood so bad that water would almost always be up to the headlights especially in August during monsoon season. I remember them installing the sidewalks, concrete curbing, drainage system and the first day it opened. We all went down to the project around 700am on opening day and marveled at the freshly painted stripes and smell of asphalt before the first cars were officially allowed to drive on it. I think it was Mayor Margaret Hance ( nice lady) that did the ribbon cutting honors.
I remember having to "gun it" to get through the intersections during the monsoons when the intersections were flooded...one would come out the other side with no breaks.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 PM

214 posts, read 646,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Hey baby sinister, where and when? I grew up on LaMirada Dr. between Central and 7th St, just south of Dobbins Rd. during the '60's. Graduated from South (back before political correctness and we were still Rebels) in '71.
Grew up near 24th st and Broadway and graduated from PUHS in 1978.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Grew up near 24th st and Broadway and graduated from PUHS in 1978.
Well guess we didn't know each other...when i was a kid 24th and B'way was way far away. Just thought I'd check as you never know who you'll run into online.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
First time adding a photo...PUHS 1978 yearbook.
Sweet. Thanks bunch for uploading that.
Great to see the old place (PUHS) . I seem to remember it being a taller structure but maybe I was just shorter back in 72.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yuk on New Coke! I remember when it came out and I went down to Mexico to bring back a few cases of the real stuff...pretty silly but I didn't want any of that new stuff.

Farrell's used to be such a fun place...can't remember where the ones in Phoenix were but wasn't there one over in old town Scottsdale? Or was that something else?
There was one in Christown.
Zoo please.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Default Bohn House/ 7th Street & Northern

For those of you who have driven past it a million times and barely noticed it, I present to you...the Bohn House. This grand residence sits on the NE corner of 7th Street & Northern, now within the confines of Las Brisas Condominiums.
The Az Canal runs right behind the property which Im sure was all citrus groves back in the day.

I gets to eyeball this beauty every time I takes the re-cycle out. Sweet.

ps - yes some lucky duck lives there.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bohn-louis-house.jpg  

Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 PM

88 posts, read 273,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Speaking of Mayor Margie.... anyone remember the day when Crazy Dave Otto on 98FM KUPD (Rocksssssssss Arizonaaaaaaaa) did the "wake up wake up you little sleepy head" song and called "Mayor Margie" at home??? God that was so hysterical the first time we all heard it!!!! Please someone there has to be an old audio of that out there somewhere LOL! Please post if ya got it. Crazy Dave was by far the best rock DJ the Valley ever had.
Wasn't Dave Otto on 104.7 KZZP? And 93.3 KDKB Rocksssss Arizonaaaaa; Red Radio 98 KUPD was Arizona's real rock, IIRC.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:04 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
Wasn't Dave Otto on 104.7 KZZP? And 93.3 KDKB Rocksssss Arizonaaaaa; Red Radio 98 KUPD was Arizona's real rock, IIRC.
Dave Otto was KZZP. He did a parody of Little River Band's "Night Owls" in 1981 or 1982, titled "Snowbirds". Despite the target audience not being the senior crowd, his lyrics ("Your home's aluminum, you turqoise scum") were not well received. The New Times fully covered the outcry. I doubt there were effigy burnings or hangings but he had to tone it down afterwards. "Wake up wake up, you little sleepy head, get your little buns outta bed".

Last edited by SluggoF16; 03-08-2011 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM

285 posts, read 904,442 times
Quote:

Farrell's used to be such a fun place...can't remember where the ones in Phoenix were but wasn't there one over in old town Scottsdale? Or was that something else?
7145 E Indian School Rd., just west of Scottsdale Rd, on the southside.
The Farrell's Zone

Now it's a Fuddruckers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area