Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 AM

285 posts, read 905,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
Hello newbie, May I ask what highschool you went to. I was born in the old St Joes in 46. Am a native and I so loveAZ. I don't like what has happened to our town (Phoenix) but you can't stop progress and growth. Hey everybody, my sister just gave me this very kool book on AZ, Huge thick thing published in 1962 . . . "Fiftieth Anniversary" So many ads, names of so many familiar places and people. Great book.
Short biographical sketch?
I attended Cocopah (then "Elementary" now "Middle") school.
First year it was opened to graduation, prior school was Kiva.
High school was Saguaro until Chaparral was opened (my soph year).
I too am an alumni of the old St Joes (Class of 55).

As a native Arizonan, I am 2rd generation.
My dad was born on the Apache Trail (1916), Miami being the town of record.
Then an older sister (1949), myself and a twin (all Phoenix).
My son (1980, Phoenix)
A grandaughter (2000, Phoenix).

May I recommend Arizona Place Names by Will C Barnes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,479,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"only Kodachrome still looks like the day it was developed."

Kodachrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ansel Adams used Kodachrome for much of his color photography.
Paul Simon was right to sing Kodachrome's praises. Amazing archival properties.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahatt View Post
My father also worked at Garrett starting in the 50's and retired some 40 years later. I don't recall Vito's; however, Red Devil Pizza was in the neighborhood and you could watch the pizza chefs spinning pizza's through the front window. I remember a bar next door called "The Go Go Lounge". Just remembered that because we would pull into the parking lot for take out orders and their Neon sign was eye catching at my young age.

Couldn't forget the old AirResearch christmas party's though. Great times and always a gift and stocking at the end of the show!
I still think Red Devil has the best pizza in the Valley. I lived in that area too. I went to school down the street at Creighton Elementary from grades 6 through 8. The bar next door to Red Devil with that peaked roof went through a lot of changes in name and ownership. (It was a lesbian bar called "Nasty Habits" for a long time, not sure if it still is - I went in with some friends a couple of times and didn't feel at all unwelcome, despite being one of the only men in there - it was was kind of like the Jonathan Richman song.) There was a pizza parlor in the strip mall across the street which also went through a lot of name changes, I think it was Gino's Pizza for a long time.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,774 times
What's the complete title of the book?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,631,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AZkid View Post
What's the complete title of the book?
Was the book by Barnes 'Westerner in these parts' or 'The Great Western Series?'

This Bayless country store that was on Indian School and Central looks like a postcard but it is a snapshot taken with Kodachrome in 1960, not restored with a photo program. Just amazing. I remember that casket inside the place with the shredded lining under the lid, they said it was someone buried alive, ha.
Attachment 47668

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Was the book by Barnes 'Westerner in these parts' or 'The Great Western Series?'

This Bayless country store that was on Indian School and Central looks like a postcard but it is a snapshot taken with Kodachrome in 1960, not restored with a photo program. Just amazing. I remember that casket inside the place with the shredded lining under the lid, they said it was someone buried alive, ha.
Attachment 47668
We used to go to that place on school field trips a lot. I remember the Tesla Coil that threw out arcs of electricity and made your hair stand up. THe guide would also hold up a fluorescent tube and it would light up from the electrons in the air. Also the old-style soda fountain at the front where you could order a sasparilla.

Nice photo!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,404 times
The building, along with everything else on the north side of Indian School between Central and 3rd Avenue, was torn down in the last week or so.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM

107 posts, read 423,338 times
[quote=azfrybaby;10417598]Hello newbie, May I ask what highschool you went to. I was born in the old St Joes in 46. Am a native and I so loveAZ. I don't like what has happened to our town (Phoenix) but you can't stop progress and growth. Hey everybody, my sister just gave me this very kool book on AZ, Huge thick thing published in 1962 . . . "Fiftieth Anniversary" So many ads, names of so many familiar places and people. Great book.[/quote]
The book you mention brings back a memory from about that time. There was a special edition (the occasion could have been AZ statehood 50th anniversary) of "Arizona Days and Ways," which was the Sunday supplement in the Republic. Seemed like it was about an inch thick, paperback--not just loose pages like a typical newspaper insert, and full of ads and articles. My parents kept it for years.

It sticks in my memory because one of the ads showed a family sitting around their kitchen dinette, and the girl was in my grade school class. It was almost like I knew someone famous!
My father also worked at Garrett starting in the 50's and retired some 40 years later. (seahatt)
Lots of my classmates' Dads worked at Garrett AiResearch too (later on, so did I).
But my best friend's Dad worked for Motorola, near 56th Street & Osborn. Might have been the first Motorola plant in the Valley. The building exterior looked like whitewashed stucco, with a band of interesting Indian petroglyph-style symbols painted in brown along the top. There was a big open lawn in front, and neighborhood kids liked to play football there on weekends (especially when irrigation flooded it!)
There've been several comments about Bill Heywood. I liked him too; lots of funny stuff. Even little 5-second recorded jingles like a woman singing "Sweet William, you're such a... garfus." I think he was actually on KTAR (before KOY) in the late 60's.
Other radio names I recall from that era--Bob Kapp, Jim Spero, John Sage, Dave Fisher (KTAR, he did an evening show from the booth at Bill Johnson's Big Apple; did some silly characters with names like Price Mealsworth Jr.), and Eugene Root, a hair salon owner who did a late night jazz show on a station I've forgotten.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,944 times
Default Arizona Days and Ways

Arizona Days and Ways is priceless - if you find a copy grab it. I have the 1962 edition -found it in a used book store. Its loaded with cool old vintage ads - hand drawn the old way.(Im an advertising graphic designer so this kind of stuff means a lot to me.) The coolest part is all the ads have the street addresses on then (of course) so you know where they were (are). Heres an example: McCoys Laundry @ 1624 E Washington. Last time I went by the building was still there.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-mccoys.jpg  

Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Arizona Days and Ways is priceless - if you find a copy grab it. I have the 1962 edition -found it in a used book store. Its loaded with cool old vintage ads - hand drawn the old way.(Im an advertising graphic designer so this kind of stuff means a lot to me.) The coolest part is all the ads have the street addresses on then (of course) so you know where they were (are). Heres an example: McCoys Laundry @ 1624 E Washington. Last time I went by the building was still there.
Wow, I've got to look for a copy. "Arizona Days and Ways" was also the title of a popular column with historical tales that appeared in the Sunday edition of the Arizona Republic for years. Maybe the book is an annual edition of that column.

EDIT: Maybe I was having a brain embolism or something. "Arizona Days and Ways" was the title of the Arizona Republic Sunday Supplement that ran from 1953 to 1965.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 08-25-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area