Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post

I remember the horse at Green Gables, the costumes at Bobby McGee's, the Sicilian pizza at Raffeales which you can still get BTW, had some last year.

Lee

This one's for you. Johns Green gables. c. 1950
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-johns-green-gables-c.1950s.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
I
My gradeschool girlfriends and I would walk up to Uptown Plaza ? 35th Ave and Bethany Home to shop at TG & Y and Revco drug store and Hobby Lobby. Before the Smitty's was built. I think it was Revco. .
It was West Plaza at 35th & Bethany. I practically grew up there.
Gordons Hobby Lobby / AJ Bayless right next to TG&Y (had a post office inside)
Long Hair Inc. came in in the late 60's / LL Smith hardware /Paddock pools / it was Rexall not Revco -had a real soda fountain / one of the old Valley National Banks in the north end of the parking lot / Tom Tates smorgesborg (?) ...

This was back when the Westside was safe. Before the gang- bangers moved in.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Metro Center 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Ah...
Metro Center, what an oasis in the desert for a youngster!
I remember actually going to Metro while it was still under construction. Some stores (anchors) were already open. I exited on the wrong side and spent an hour trying to find my car in the 110 degree heat. Ahhh.. summers in Phoenix.

Here's a pic of it under construction in 1972.
BTW the "airplane" bar was called the Metro Lounge. You could look out the portholes and watch the ice skaters below on the ground level.

Enjoy.

Willie
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-metrocenter-1972.jpg  

Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I've heard stories of when I-17 stopped at Bell Rd and everything up here in North Phoenix was just orange tree groves in every direciton...
I'm from the days when I-17, the Black Canyon Highway, did not exist. At one time, long ago, the alignment of the Highway was 25th Avenue. And, just north of Northern (which was a dirt road), we had a Saddle Club - the Black Canyon Saddle Club.

There were nothing but Orange Groves up north - and to the West (and South East) - there were the Goldwater Farms.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
On the Northwest corner of 27th Ave and Northern, there was an A.J. Bayless grocery store. My sister was a cashier there, and rode her horse to work daily - the Bayless family put a hitching post in front of the store for her.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Lee

This one's for you. Johns Green gables. c. 1950
Hey, I went to high school early 1950's with this guy on the horse. I do not remember his name but had lunch with him once at the Chili Pepper, a Mexican dive on McDowell and 12th Street. The bill was probably about 75 cents for two of us; he left a $1 tip and said he made a lot of money at Green Gables parking cars.

As we left the Chili Pepper restaurant there was a sign 'see our kitchen' so we went to the parking lot that way; there were cockroaches all over the ceiling.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Anyone remember Sambo's restuarants, specifically at bell & cave Creek Rds back in the 60's?
Yes. They were originally called "Little Black Sambo's" and they're logo was a small (very) black boy with a bone in his hair. Stereotype?... what stereotype?

I think they became Denny's right?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times
Someone mentioned Uptown Plaza. That was a Del Webb strip mall shaped like an L built before Park Central so would actually be the first mall in Phoenix. I recall Websters Hobby Shop, who used to be at Green Park on east Van Buren in the 40's, there was also a Piggly Wiggly grocery store at Uptown Plaza, Helsing's coffee shop and McCrary's Pharmacy that moved up to the Central and Camelback location from Central and McDowell.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM

I like how your buddy didn't even bother to remove his dorky dork glasses for the photo-op. Sheesh!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
Miss real monsoon storms. Remember the dust storms that were so bad, you thought a hurricane was going on outside, and did not dare walk outside, but when it was over, jumping on a bike and riding through the streams of water on the streets. It was so refreshing.
Heck I remember tubing down Marlette Ave (west side at 43rd Ave) after the rainstorms. Who needs the verde river?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area