Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is a snapshot of the Fox, the most Art Deco building in Phoenix. Torn down in 1975.
I remember going to see the Phoenix premiere of "West Side Story" there. Spotlights outside and Natalie Wood showed up for the red carpet treatment. I remember looking down from the open window of the restroom and watching her arrive. Downtown trips back then usually included a trip to the lunch counter (and basement toy section) at Woolworths, a visit to St. Mary's Church (I loved the glowing stained glass windows in there, especially that of my patron saint St. Michael crushing a dragon) and often a movie at the Fox.

Later, I remember going to see movies in the late 1960s and early 70s when it had become a total grindhouse - I saw the Hammer horror movie "Dracula Has Risen from the Grave" on a double bill with "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed!" and later in high school "Enter the Dragon", as well as a string of lesser Run Run Shaw Kung Fu movies, like "SuperManChu" and "Five Fingers of Death" and "Chinese Hercules". Some scarier fellow moviegoers at that point, but still an amazing looking theater even then, with the balcony, the art deco reliefs on the walls, and the lobby. I can still see those endless rows of "Flicks", dark chocolate discs inside cardboard tubes, wrapped in different-colored foil wrappers, all lined up in the lobby concession stand's glass-paned front next to the Raisinettes and popcorn. Man, I miss that theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Here is the back of the auditorium at the Fox.

Attachment 36983

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,747 times
WANTINGAOUTOFAZ SAID: "I went to Central High School from 1988-1992 and was on their cross country and track teams. My favorite store to buy running shoes was the Strapped Jock which was actually at 3rd street and Indian School right next to the Wendy's on the south side of the street. I can't remember which year it burned down but I remember being very sad about that."

TELL ME WANTINGOUTOFAZ.......WHO WAS YOUR CROSS COUNTRY COACH???? HE WAS FROM OKLAHOMA REMEMBER......

HEY, I WENT TO SCHOOL THERE IN 1986-89, LEFT IN 1989.....REMEMBER WE WERE DOWN TO ONE DORM.....

MAN, I MISS PHOENIX SOOO MUCH....WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Wasn't that McDonald's the very first one in AZ?

There was a great furniture store along Central just above Ind School, I think. Dorris-Heyman, it was called. The wrought iron patio furniture my mom bought there is STILL on my back patio.

Carnation. . . YUMMM. . . .

Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times
It was just South of St Simon & Jude. Just North of SS& J was the Roer Bird Farm

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Tangs

There was an import store at El Rancho too where I used to buy incense

It was called Tangs.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I remember going to see the Phoenix premiere of "West Side Story" there. Spotlights outside and Natalie Wood showed up for the red carpet treatment. I remember looking down from the open window of the restroom and watching her arrive. Downtown trips back then usually included a trip to the lunch counter (and basement toy section) at Woolworths, a visit to St. Mary's Church (I loved the glowing stained glass windows in there, especially that of my patron saint St. Michael crushing a dragon) and often a movie at the Fox.

My dad would take me every year to see The Indy 500 on closed-circuit TV. Also the sneak previews of every Connery James Bond movie before they were released to the other theaters.***** Galore! I was 10.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Madison Square Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Wish I had Google when I was a kid .

Vonda Kay Van Dyke - Wikipedia

Speaking of being a kid, one of my regrets was never seeing Tito Montez live at the "Madison Square Garden." Anyone remember him and that wrestling venue?
Sure, wrestling matches on Saturday nights. KPHO TV would broadcast them live on TV sometimes. We would spend the whole night trying to get behind the commentators so we would be on TV. They recently tore it down.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Default Been here since '58

I've heard stories of when I-17 stopped at Bell Rd and everything up here in North Phoenix was just orange tree groves in every direciton...

I graduated from Alhambra in 1973. We would have "boone-dockers" (keg party's) in the desert. The desert was 43rd Ave and Sweetwater.
If we really wanted to get away... 43rd & Bell. You could barely see the city light from there.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM

Cool Christown

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
OMG! Yes, I remember doing that with my girl friends. How funny.

I see many of you referring to shopping malls, so here's an oldie of Christown fron 1962.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-chris-town1962.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area