Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times

Advertisements

But here's a picture of the Pratt-Gilbert Hardware Store on the NW corner of 1st and Jefferson in 1910 (with lots of other interesting early Phoenix shots - scroll up and down):

Early Phoenix - Google Book Search

I think it's the same building as in the 1910 photo, from the design and windows - I think it's shot from a different street corner.

Does that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 AM

402 posts, read 1,527,812 times
I remember as a kid having to drive thru a dirt field from our house at 8th Avenue and Longmore thru a dirt field to get to Fiesta Mall. Also the old U of A farm Between Dobson and Alma School and Broadway and Main.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:09 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
I remember as a kid having to drive thru a dirt field from our house at 8th Avenue and Longmore thru a dirt field to get to Fiesta Mall. Also the old U of A farm Between Dobson and Alma School and Broadway and Main.
The U of A farm existed till the 1990's.............I still remember it.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 AM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default Pratt-Gilbert Building

AZ Mike

After digging through some of my photos I see that the building directly across the street (SW corner) of Central & Madison is actually the Pratt-Gilbert Building. - 200 S. Central Ave. / One W. Madison St.

My clue was that the address is carved in stone above the front door.

That still leaves the mystery of the other building.

Heres another shot with the Pratt building partially visible on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-pratt-gilbert-building-copy.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-mystery-building.jpg  

Old 03-27-2009, 06:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
AZ Mike

After digging through some of my photos I see that the building directly across the street (SW corner) of Central & Madison is actually the Pratt-Gilbert Building. - 200 S. Central Ave. / One W. Madison St.

My clue was that the address is carved in stone above the front door.

That still leaves the mystery of the other building.

Heres another shot with the Pratt building partially visible on the left.
Huh. Well the 1 W. Madison address (the one with the fake-rock facade) is that of your mystery building, so according to the Preservation website, that is the Pratt-Gilbert Building. Currently it's a county government building, where the DUI Court is and where the Maricopa County jury convenes. It looks like its an older building under the sheetrock - if you walk close to it, there's openings in the pavement that let light in to basement level office space below. There's no signage on it that tells you the name of the building.

My guess is that the cream building with the aqua trim was the site of the Pratt-Gilbert Hardware store in the past (as seen in the 1910 photo to which I linked), and your mystery building was also owned by the Pratt-Gilbert concern and is the "Pratt-Gilbert Building". Interesting. The Pratt-Gilbert store may also have been larger in the past, if it fronted onto Jackson street.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:05 AM

53 posts, read 140,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I grew up right near 43rd Ave & Bethany (on Marlette )

They just tore down The Arabian Room (& the rest of that strip mall) and those 2 little farmers shacks that were just west of it -this had all been there since at least 1962. Remember Diamond D?

I could talk for days about that area.

West Plaza park / St Louis the King / Barcelona / The old Totimer farm/ The 7-11 / Stingers Lounge/ McCagnos Meats /The Esso gas station on Maryland/ Clip Joint Barber Shop - Mr Shillington was the barber - I went to high school with his son Mark at Alhambra .Heck when we moved there in March of 1960, 43rd Ave was a 2 lane dirt road with an open canal on the west running on forever with a massive stand of Euculyptis (?) trees going in both directions as far as you could see. Everything west was farmland until you got over to "downtown" Glendale and the old Beet Factory. Heres a pic of it and another of 47th Ave & Glendale circa 1968

Willie
Thats pretty cool, I used to live on Berridge.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,376 times
Does anyone remember the "Celler" bar that was in the Christown mall? Bell Road went for miles, had no sidewalks, and oh did it flood during a good monsoon storm!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiToes View Post
Does anyone remember the "Celler" bar that was in the Christown mall? Bell Road went for miles, had no sidewalks, and oh did it flood during a good monsoon storm!
The Cellar was ringed by a big red Ferdinand the Bull in a planter, Farrell's Ice Cream, The Broadway, Switzer's and the small circle of fast food joints like Orange Julius and the pizza place that had those odd square shaped pizza slices.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The Cellar was ringed by a big red Ferdinand the Bull in a planter, Farrell's Ice Cream, The Broadway, Switzer's and the small circle of fast food joints like Orange Julius and the pizza place that had those odd square shaped pizza slices.
Here is the old UA ticket office that was about 30 feet from the Cellar entrance, which was simply an opening in the shopping center floor with steps going down.
Attachment 38888

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post

My guess is that the cream building with the aqua trim was the site of the Pratt-Gilbert Hardware store in the past (as seen in the 1910 photo to which I linked), and your mystery building was also owned by the Pratt-Gilbert concern and is the "Pratt-Gilbert Building". Interesting. The Pratt-Gilbert store may also have been larger in the past, if it fronted onto Jackson street.
The cream building with the aqua trim is the Luhrs Central Building, built in 1914.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area