Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 06:53 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times

Advertisements

I heard on the news that Big Surf found a buyer and is going to remain open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Here is a 1983 photo I found. I thought it was kind of a funny angle. St. Mary's raised a ruckus when those statues were installed. I wonder if they are still there?

Attachment 48457

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is a 1983 photo I found. I thought it was kind of a funny angle. St. Mary's raised a ruckus when those statues were installed. I wonder if they are still there?

Attachment 48457
Moved somewhat, but still in sight of the church. They are in front of and east of the Herberger Theater.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM

48 posts, read 245,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Arizona Days and Ways is priceless - if you find a copy grab it. I have the 1962 edition -found it in a used book store. Its loaded with cool old vintage ads - hand drawn the old way.(Im an advertising graphic designer so this kind of stuff means a lot to me.) The coolest part is all the ads have the street addresses on then (of course) so you know where they were (are). Heres an example: McCoys Laundry @ 1624 E Washington. Last time I went by the building was still there.
Yes that is the book my sis has and let me borrow to look through. About two inches thick I would guess. My father Bill McKay was a commercial artist and worked for O.S. Stapley and A.P.S. before it was A.P.S. I think maybe Arizona Light and Power. I remember him sitting at his drafting table drawing Redi-Kilowat for ads. I have no doubt that there are a few ads in the book my dad designed. He eventually opened his own advertising agency McKay Advertising and had the Phoenix Bird as his logo. He designed the Chief Wampum set for the Lew King Rangers Show and was pretty much part of everything and knew everyone in the radio, TV, art and advertising world. Phoenix was a much smaller town. I think I remember my folks said something about trollies here when they first came but I might be wrong.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
Yes that is the book my sis has and let me borrow to look through. About two inches thick I would guess. My father Bill McKay was a commercial artist and worked for O.S. Stapley and A.P.S. before it was A.P.S. I think maybe Arizona Light and Power. I remember him sitting at his drafting table drawing Redi-Kilowat for ads. I have no doubt that there are a few ads in the book my dad designed. He eventually opened his own advertising agency McKay Advertising and had the Phoenix Bird as his logo. He designed the Chief Wampum set for the Lew King Rangers Show and was pretty much part of everything and knew everyone in the radio, TV, art and advertising world. Phoenix was a much smaller town. I think I remember my folks said something about trollies here when they first came but I might be wrong.
We had trolleys as late as 1948............and, the irony is that part of our present Light Rail runs along some of the old rights of way.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
Here is Lew King in the early 50's it looks like. I used to buy all my shoes at the Thom McAn in the background.

Attachment 48509

Last edited by roosevelt; 03-21-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,581 times
I remember really enjoying bowling and playing pin ball machines at the Pla-Mor Bowl on 1st Street downtown Phoenix back in the late 50's and 60's. They only had 12 lanes and pin boys. Anyone else remember it? Jerry

Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerslon View Post
I remember really enjoying bowling and playing pin ball machines at the Pla-Mor Bowl on 1st Street downtown Phoenix back in the late 50's and 60's. They only had 12 lanes and pin boys. Anyone else remember it? Jerry
Pla-Mor Bowling Arcade was listed at 34 East Monroe then 212 North 1st Street so they must of had two entrances. The other arcade was Playland but no one called it that, it was always the penny arcade at 25 East Washington, Donofrio's Ice Cream used to be at that location with Cactus Candy next door that became the Paris Gown Shop. There were lots of pin ball machines at the bus terminal at 2nd Ave. and Washington. I remember one guy that would run up about 25 free games and then walk out. The management would rush out and run the games off. Bert Easley also had his Fun Shop in the terminal.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,413,595 times
I used to go ice skating near a tower records, can't remember what the place was called?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Tower Plaza (now called Desert Palms Power Center) had (maybe still has) a skating rink and there was a Tower Records in front of the mall at 40th/Thomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area