Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,629,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
My family moved here in 66 after it burned down. I hike Shaw Butte's south side a lot so am interested. Last year Phoenix Magazine did an article on it. You can read it here:

Cloud of Suspicion - Phoenix Magazine

I'd love to see some more pix of it in its day.
Thanks for the article, now the sign is solved, people I have talked to said it was blue neon but could never agree what it was shaped like, anything from a straight line to a cloud; now we know it was a large number 9. Also too, I think I was taken up the road in a Jeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,629,381 times
Not to be a spoilsport but these photos are from Phoenix, Arizona vintage old photos, pictures, history, photographs, by Heberlee. Union High School

Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,022,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
You didn't spoil anything, cool link to more photos. Really all types of vintage Phoenix photos can be found on the web, just takes some patience. Thanks for the link...

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Mods: could you roll this thread into the How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents... one stickied @ the top of this Forum?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM

963 posts, read 2,303,291 times
Great pics! Its amazing how different downtown Phoenix is today. The sense of community is lost somewhat.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,022,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Great pics! Its amazing how different downtown Phoenix is today. The sense of community is lost somewhat.
ALOT! We are getting some of that back. Would be amazingly great to have that huge level of pedestrian traffic back in the downtown area in 10 years! LOL It's possible...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn527 View Post
I remember cloud 9 very well.
We moved to Cox Meadows 1961 Cactus Rd and Black Canyon Highway, now I 17 freeway. We could see the lights of the restraunt at night.
After it closed down we too used to hike up the face of the mountain to look at the ruins. A lot of broken glass quite a mess I remember a large empty pool.
We stopped going there after a friend of mine and I were stopped at gun point and detained for a few hours, Some crazy man was hidding in the curtains with an M1 Garand rifle, that would not let us leave until the police showed up hours later. I don't remember any part of it burned down. Just broken windows and all run down. That SOB pressed charges against us for tresspassing and breaking windows(which we never did). Two kids, I was probably only 12 years old held at gun point for hours Don't know why he was up there guardng the place it was a distroyed and in ruins. Bitter man out to punish or hurt any one that came there.
Continued fom above:
In defense of the guy (it must have been Barker). That place was tore up when I was there it was probably 1964. It looked like it had been out of business for some time and people had been vandalizing the place, he was most likly just trying to save it? I dont think kids were the cause of the damage I saw about 1/2 the windows were broke glass down the side of the mountain, pool full of glass an furniture it was a mess.
Looked like some one put him out of business.
I remember him calling his wife from an old 2 way radio to send the police both of us kids were scared and pissed our pants waiting for the police to arrive.
Police told us we were lucky, some kids were hurt bad trying to run away from him and fell down the mountain.
Ken

Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,278,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
It was an entirely different time when people walked more and drove less. Also, Phoenix back then wasn't so sprawled out like it is today. Downtown was THE place to work, eat, and shop ... as were many downtown areas in practically all cities (large and small).

Since Phoenix is now more than ten times the size as it was 60 years ago, the focus should be on diversifying the economy, encouraging large reputable corporations to establish their bases here, and building UPward instead of outward so much. Sprawl is always going to be a factor, but it doesn't mean that infill & downtown development should be neglected like it had been during the 1970s, '80s, and '90s.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,865,159 times
I am rolling this into the sticky Phoenix thread as it is the same

Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 PM

83 posts, read 311,493 times
so what is the story on the house on the hill just north of the az historical museum on 68th street in the papago park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area