Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM

272 posts, read 608,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Remember MinderBinders' Burger Madness? "It's Insane!"

Great for a college student with a limited cash supply.
Vaguely - although to be honest, I was generally in some state of inebriation or other; something about $1 pitchers seems to ring a bell, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
When was this? The first place I lived ('83) was about 1/2 mile north of Shea, just east of Pima.
That's one hell of a walk.
I'm looking around '73/74.
The homes and businesses that eventually were built east of Pima Rd and north and south of Shea hadn't left the drawing boards yet. It was pristine desert at the time. All intents and purposes, Taliesin West was literally in the middle of nowhere.
The walk itself (which I did a number of times) wasn't a big deal. At the time I walked everywhere and didn't break a sweat. No way on this earth I could repeat that feat . Absolutely no way.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Ahhh, Pima Rd.
I have fond memories of that stretch of road. The most notable was walking from Chaparral Road, then the entrance to Scottsdale Community College, to Shea Blvd. Yep, walked (because I could and because I wanted to) . From Indian Bend Rd. to Shea is where it was interesting. About a 90 minute journey with the old Indian Bend Golf course being a pit stop for water or a can of Coke and a bag of Andy Capp Hot Fries from the snack machine. Back on the road, if a car was approaching, I would hop into the wash next to the road until the car was gone and continue. The flashing yellow traffic light at Shea was my target, knowing just five minutes more, I'd be home. BTW, I did this at night. The stars and the image of the McDowell Mountains in the starlight was awesome .
"a little creepy", I agree but awesome at the same time.
You guys don't go back nearly far enough... I remember when most of Pima Road, if not all of it, wasn't paved. SCC wasn't close to being on the drawing board.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM

122 posts, read 272,624 times
Quote:
BTW - wasn't there an Italian restaurant in the old Scottsdale Fashion Square? It was in the section of small stores that faced Scottsdale Rd, if I remember correctly.
Joe Hunt's was the restaurant on the East side of Fashion Square.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Remember MinderBinders' Burger Madness? "It's Insane!"

Great for a college student with a limited cash supply.
Remember the crab races Minder Binder's held upstairs? They promoted it with flyers proclaiming, "You catch the fastest crabs at Minder Binders!"

Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrails View Post
Joe Hunt's was the restaurant on the East side of Fashion Square.
Huh. Doesn't ring a bell. They might have changed hands; this would have been in the mid-80s - just before the major renovation, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't - getting old sucks...).

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You guys don't go back nearly far enough... I remember when most of Pima Road, if not all of it, wasn't paved. SCC wasn't close to being on the drawing board.
WAAAAAY before my time there - although my best friend remembered when Pima ended with zebra boards at Indian School.

He grew up in the valley; I didn't. I showed up as Legend City was being demolished.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Huh. Doesn't ring a bell. They might have changed hands; this would have been in the mid-80s - just before the major renovation, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't - getting old sucks...).
Joe Hunt's was almost certainly gone by the mid '80s. I think you're correct about an italian restaurant going in there, but it's getting fuzzy for me as well. Next to the restaurant was originally a Thrifty's, AJ Bayless, camera shop, barber shop, and liquor store. At least, that's my story!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 AM

283 posts, read 880,347 times
Quote:
Vaguely - although to be honest, I was generally in some state of inebriation or other; something about $1 pitchers seems to ring a bell, though...
Doesn't anyone remember Minder Binders's Annual Going Out of Business sales? All shots, drinks and beers were a quarter. I think pitchers of beer were a $1 and I could get a full pitcher of Jack Daniels and Coke for a $1.75.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Doesn't anyone remember Minder Binders's Annual Going Out of Business sales? All shots, drinks and beers were a quarter. I think pitchers of beer were a $1 and I could get a full pitcher of Jack Daniels and Coke for a $1.75.
Those were great sales. At the time my tastes were for beer, not spirits. Dirt cheap way for a minimum-wage college student to enjoy being 19 at a time when that was the drinking age.

There were the interesting "creatures" on the restroom doors which attempted to depict the proper gender. Many an intoxicated patron went to the wrong door.

This may seem surprising to some, but I always found Minder Binders (and Dooley's, later re-named "After The Gold Rush") to be more "upscale". The Devil House, Hammerheads, and Timothy O'Tooles (which was right across from ASU on Rural) were more my speed.

Does anyone remember the Blue Goat Pub at Miller and Indian School? A web search shows a number of local talents played there, and it was popular with KCAC.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-18-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area