Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I remember the super-slide. I enjoyed it as a young teen. What else was there? I don't remember anything else.
All I can remember was they had the helicopter ride (round and round and round, etc), a merry-go-round, a roller coaster, and maybe a pony ride. Also something with water in a tank, but that may have been somewhere else. The Super Slide required a burlap bag to sit on, not sure if that made the ride faster, or protected the rider from the hot metal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Great photos/postcards...certainly remember Encanto Kiddy-land...the merry-go-round. Is Luhr's Tower still standing? I met with an attorney there in '73 and it was still alive and well. Wasn't there also a Luhr's Building? Definitely remember Tovrea's...ahhh...the aroma (and I'm not referring to the restaurant!) lol.

You must have quite a collecttion Roosevelt. Thanks for sharing with us.
Yes, the Luhrs Tower and the Luhrs Building are still there. The ground floor of the two buildings, as well as the one story annex that connects them, have recently been refurbished for retail, as they face CityScape across Jefferson. A Subway has opened in one of the retail spots.

(Photo courtesy HX_Guy)

The carousel at Encanto Park is still in business as well.

Encanto Carousel

Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Yes, the Luhrs Tower and the Luhrs Building are still there. The ground floor of the two buildings, as well as the one story annex that connects them, have recently been refurbished for retail, as they face CityScape across Jefferson. A Subway has opened in one of the retail spots.

(Photo courtesy HX_Guy)

The carousel at Encanto Park is still in business as well.

Encanto Carousel
I'm thinking old man Luhrs built on the wrong street, anything south of Washington in the old days did not get much traffic. He also took over the old Commercial Hotel and remodeled it on Central and Jefferson. It was torn down because the city wanted outside fire escapes and he said it was too expensive to do. At one time he also owned the corner of Central and Washington. On the other hand, being on Jefferson saved the buildings from being torn down for a shoe box office building.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM

272 posts, read 609,137 times
It's going to be "odd" moving back after 14 yrs. I remember:

Anderson's Fifth Estate being one of the only nightclubs in Scottsdale - and they played good rock & roll.

Lunt Avenue Marble Club's deep-fried mushrooms and veal parmesan (which was big enough for dinner, and lunch the next day).

Pima Rd, when it was the main "highway" for the east valley. Driving it at night was a little creepy, as pretty much the only thing east was SCC.

Open desert from Bell all the way to Carefree - with the exception of the two large Egyptian cat statues at the entrance to the "Los Gatos" development, lit with black lights, in the middle of the desert; very freaky at 1AM.

The Satisfied Frog was right down the street from The Horny Toad. Was at one of them (I think it was the Toad) with friends one afternoon when someone with a crane in the parking lot was offering bungee jumps. I wanted to try it, and had handed my wallet & keys to my best friend; my GF talked me out of it. Got home, turned on the news, and saw the report of a woman dying after the bungee cord snapped - 5 minutes after we left.

Smitty's - the "original" Super Target, with the sign requiring all firearms to be left at the service desk.

Abco (I worked at one for a couple of years). Luckys. Smiths.

Scottsdale Fashion Square when it was Goldwaters, Diamonds, and not a heck of a lot else.

Los Arcos Mall, before it went down the tubes.

Playing volleyball at MinderBinders.

Drinking with friends at the Devil House, then getting creeped-out by the drive through the river bottom at 2am.

Metro Center was THE destination mall.

The Spaghetti Factory (or was it Company?) on Mill Ave, their angel hair with Mizithra cheese/brown butter sauce, and their menus explaining how to grow a spaghetti tree (plant in grated parmesan, water with olive oil... ).

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post

Anderson's Fifth Estate being one of the only nightclubs in Scottsdale - and they played good rock & roll.

Lunt Avenue Marble Club's deep-fried mushrooms and veal parmesan (which was big enough for dinner, and lunch the next day).

Pima Rd, when it was the main "highway" for the east valley. Driving it at night was a little creepy, as pretty much the only thing east was SCC.

Open desert from Bell all the way to Carefree - with the exception of the two large Egyptian cat statues at the entrance to the "Los Gatos" development, lit with black lights, in the middle of the desert; very freaky at 1AM.

The Satisfied Frog was right down the street from The Horny Toad. Was at one of them (I think it was the Toad) with friends one afternoon when someone with a crane in the parking lot was offering bungee jumps. I wanted to try it, and had handed my wallet & keys to my best friend; my GF talked me out of it. Got home, turned on the news, and saw the report of a woman dying after the bungee cord snapped - 5 minutes after we left.

Smitty's - the "original" Super Target, with the sign requiring all firearms to be left at the service desk.

Scottsdale Fashion Square when it was Goldwaters, Diamonds, and not a heck of a lot else.

Drinking with friends at the Devil House, then getting creeped-out by the drive through the river bottom at 2am.

The Spaghetti Factory (or was it Company?) on Mill Ave, their angel hair with Mizithra cheese/brown butter sauce, and their menus explaining how to grow a spaghetti tree (plant in grated parmesan, water with olive oil... ).
Was Spaghetti Company. The Upstairs Pub was, well, upstairs, cheap pitchers after night classes at ASU.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM

285 posts, read 904,818 times
Quote:

Ahhh, Pima Rd.
I have fond memories of that stretch of road. The most notable was walking from Chaparral Road, then the entrance to Scottsdale Community College, to Shea Blvd. Yep, walked (because I could and because I wanted to) . From Indian Bend Rd. to Shea is where it was interesting. About a 90 minute journey with the old Indian Bend Golf course being a pit stop for water or a can of Coke and a bag of Andy Capp Hot Fries from the snack machine. Back on the road, if a car was approaching, I would hop into the wash next to the road until the car was gone and continue. The flashing yellow traffic light at Shea was my target, knowing just five minutes more, I'd be home. BTW, I did this at night. The stars and the image of the McDowell Mountains in the starlight was awesome .
"a little creepy", I agree but awesome at the same time.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:

lol lots of good memories here! Minder Binders was sooooo fun! How about Fashion Square before Goldwater's and Diamond's...I remember a small farm there.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Ahhh, Pima Rd.
I have fond memories of that stretch of road. The most notable was walking from Chaparral Road, then the entrance to Scottsdale Community College, to Shea Blvd. Yep, walked (because I could and because I wanted to) . From Indian Bend Rd. to Shea is where it was interesting. About a 90 minute journey with the old Indian Bend Golf course being a pit stop for water or a can of Coke and a bag of Andy Capp Hot Fries from the snack machine. Back on the road, if a car was approaching, I would hop into the wash next to the road until the car was gone and continue. The flashing yellow traffic light at Shea was my target, knowing just five minutes more, I'd be home. BTW, I did this at night. The stars and the image of the McDowell Mountains in the starlight was awesome .
As 6th and 7th graders a bunch of us would hop across Pima and fire off model rockets in the recently plowed lettuce, alfalfa and cotton fields near where Camelback Road ended. As long as the winds were not too bad from the east or west it worked; once the recovery parachute deployed, west winds took the rockets too far into the reservation and east winds took the rocket into someone's back yard (around Sells or Montecito, never did recover it).

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 PM

272 posts, read 609,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Ahhh, Pima Rd.
When was this? The first place I lived ('83) was about 1/2 mile north of Shea, just east of Pima.
That's one hell of a walk.

Quote:
lol lots of good memories here! Minder Binders was sooooo fun! How about Fashion Square before Goldwater's and Diamond's...I remember a small farm there.
Re MinderBinders: Yeah. Crying shame they're gone.
Re Fashion Square: Before my time...

BTW - wasn't there an Italian restaurant in the old Scottsdale Fashion Square? It was in the section of small stores that faced Scottsdale Rd, if I remember correctly.

I was hoping to visit some old haunts once I moved back. Sad to see so much of what I remember either changed beyond all recognition, or gone entirely.
OTOH, what should I expect after 15 yrs?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
When was this? The first place I lived ('83) was about 1/2 mile north of Shea, just east of Pima.
That's one hell of a walk.

Re MinderBinders: Yeah. Crying shame they're gone.
Re Fashion Square: Before my time...

BTW - wasn't there an Italian restaurant in the old Scottsdale Fashion Square? It was in the section of small stores that faced Scottsdale Rd, if I remember correctly.

I was hoping to visit some old haunts once I moved back. Sad to see so much of what I remember either changed beyond all recognition, or gone entirely.
OTOH, what should I expect after 15 yrs?

Remember MinderBinders' Burger Madness? "It's Insane!"

Great for a college student with a limited cash supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area