Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Ricardo's. Originally owned by the Elias family if I'm not mistaken. I think they're still in business elsewhere in the valley. It was north of Thomas on the west side, 2926 N 24th St. We ate there all the time. Opened in about 65 or 66.

I'm pretty sure Ricardo's is gone completely. Pity. Ate at that location and their Tempe one frequently. If the family is still in the business, it's under another name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I think they had a Christmas catalog that I enjoyed as a child.
A Western Auto Christmas, December 2, 1976

Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,464 times
Quote:
Ricardo's. Originally owned by the Elias family if I'm not mistaken. I think they're still in business elsewhere in the valley. It was north of Thomas on the west side, 2926 N 24th St. We ate there all the time. Opened in about 65 or 66.
ahhh yes , Ricardo's it was (BTW...I do recall the S&H green stamp place where the bowling alley was, after racking my brain for a couple days )

Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
Green Stamps, the loyalty card equivalent of the era. When sent to the store on my bike for a few groceries my mother would always stick out her hand for the change and the green stamps. "Where are the green stamps? You didn't get the green stamps?"

There were Gold Bond stamps too, but I don't remember them being as treasured.

Anyone remember Food King Market in that same neighborhood? An independent located on the east side of 24th St. between Thomas and Oak. I'm thinking it was roughly opposite the bowling alley/green stamp store.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:52 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Green Stamps, the loyalty card equivalent of the era. When sent to the store on my bike for a few groceries my mother would always stick out her hand for the change and the green stamps. "Where are the green stamps? You didn't get the green stamps?"

There were Gold Bond stamps too, but I don't remember them being as treasured.

Anyone remember Food King Market in that same neighborhood? An independent located on the east side of 24th St. between Thomas and Oak. I'm thinking it was roughly opposite the bowling alley/green stamp store.
Well, here is the bowling alley. Merry Christmas everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	green gables golf bowling 24th st..jpg
Views:	890
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	122753

Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
yes it was, it had a big hammer and a large carpenters square.
Still does. It is just called Ace Hardware now, though.

Last edited by observer53; 12-24-2013 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 04:21 PM

7 posts, read 16,353 times
Default The Gauntlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Who was around when Clint Eastwood was in town filming The Gauntlet (1977)? This was an Eastwood film I had not seen and when I read it was filmed and takes place, partially, in Phoenix, I decided to fast track it in my Netflix queue. I love seeing the old and long gone sites in Phoenix. Lots of Phoenix PD officers were used for the final scene. I am sure guys on the force at that time must have some good stories about working on set with Eastwood. The flick is a fun one that I would recommend. Especially for locals looking for a glimpse into Phoenix past.
My ex-father-in-law was the man who actually built and modified not only the bus in that movie, but also all the Phoenix cop cars. He was Fleet manager for City of Phoenix at that time. He had several of the vehicles at his house for a spell.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 16,353 times
Another movie filmed here was Fire in the Sky, about a meteor hitting downtown Phoenix. I remember them paying a bunch of people as extras to run around acting terified.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 12,578 times
Default Harry Nace

Hi all,

New to this thread but loving it. Looking for some information/memories of Harry Nace Sr. He ran many theaters around Phoenix including the Orpheum. Also had an interest in baseball in the 30s. His son Harry Jr. continued the business. I have acquired quite a bit of research already, but would like more. Thanks much and Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 AM

218 posts, read 570,145 times
Does anyone remember the Litchfield Naval Air Station? In the fifties we would drive to the Estrella Mountains for picnics and hiking etc. We passed the Naval Station where thousands of mothballed military aircraft were stored. They went as far as one could see. All shapes and sizes. Some had names and personal markings such as the military allowed. The site was closed and some aircraft were sent to other storage facilities but many, most, were smelted right there. Years ago we were in the area and all that remained was a huge mountain of slag from the smelting process. Here is a link to a picture of some of the aircraft that once lived there. The pictures do not give provide the enormity of that storage facility. It was BIG!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...views_1959.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area