Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,959,250 times

Advertisements

S. Chris Webb did a great job of listing everything out and I agree on everything he wrote.

I'm quite the opposite of azdr0710. First pools aren't only for kids...we don't have any, don't plan on having any and still love having a pool...why can't adults enjoy them? I certainly think they can and should. I also think water features are a great thing to have because it now makes the pool a landscaping feature of the backyard that you can enjoy year round instead of just a hole full of water to swim in. We keep our water feature on during the day and it looks great from inside the house.

One thing I would recommend that I didn't see mentioned and I think it's actually a requirement now, so I don't even know if you have to ask for it, is a variable speed pump for the pool. It makes a world of different in electricity costs and is sooo much quieter than a traditional single speed. It's especially good for water features because you can see it on a very low settings that is enough to run the water feature but barely consumes any energy and barely makes a hum.

Another think I would recommend is to do a light interior finish. The darker blue ones can sometimes look cool but the pools will heat up considerably more from what I understand. As for the finish itself, if you are going to be there a long time or even for resale value, definitely go with a product like PebbleTec that has a lifetime warranty. Same with the pop-up cleaners, make sure it has lifetime warranty.

We just had our pool done by Tribal Water and are happy with the way it came out...they did a great job of getting our very specific shape how we wanted it, I would recommend them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:27 PM

800 posts, read 1,914,379 times
That looks like an ideal pool for us (non-kid owners), too, HX_Guy! I like the big beach & placement of the tables and benches. We have those small palms next to ours and they are a great low-maintenance, low-litter plant. Are those round things on your beach pop-ups or umbrella-holes?.

BTW, S. Chris Webb is a "she".

Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Oops, sorry "she".

On the tanning ledge, as I like to call it , there are 3 pop-up cleaners and also an umbrella hole right in the middle. The two tables also have umbrella holes. Can't wait for the warm weather!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM

800 posts, read 1,914,379 times
"On the tanning ledge, as I like to call it , there are 3 pop-up cleaners and also an umbrella hole right in the middle. The two tables also have umbrella holes. Can't wait for the warm weather! "

Perfect! Me too! I love summer in the pool!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Those pop up cleaners almost make that tanning ledge like a spa when they come up, the water burbles like crazy, pretty strong yet.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,548,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
The following is personal, not professional, advice - YMMV:

I'm sure I've forgotten something but hope this helps.

I think pools are a waste of money. But what you just described makes me want one!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM

28 posts, read 49,766 times
Excellent design...what I have in mind almost exactly!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,754,761 times
We've had three pools, only one of which we didn't inherit from somebody else. Prefer sand filter over DE. The pool we have now has no automatic filler feature. I can't imagine that it would have cost that much to put in. Big loss. If you have a play pool with shallow ends and a deeper middle, holes to accommodate a volley ball net is nice. Aerator is nice thing to have. We have a water feature that we manage to turn on about once a year. We have a heater that we have never used. Seats are a must. Somebody once described a pit with river rock in it that you backwash into. Sounded interesting but have never seen one. I like in floor cleaning better than something that swims around.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Chris
Thanks so much for the detailed response...this is extremely helpful. I so love the folks on this board.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM

HX_guy, read your pool notes and they were helpful as well. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area