Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meye4suns View Post
What feature do you wish you had?
A pool overflow device for when it rained (we're in a drought here, but when we installed the pool well over a decade ago, it really did rain a lot...)

As others have mentioned, you must SERIOUSLY consider the costs to maintain your pool. Long after the kids are grown and gone and rarely anyone uses the pool, it still costs quite a bit to maintain it, and that includes replacing skimmers, heaters, baskets, pool pumps, etc. Make sure you really know, long term, what you're in for.

Last edited by CA4Now; 01-16-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 03:02 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
this entire thread has been a great discussion on the pros and cons of pools and the suggested features for them...thanks to all the posters

Old 01-16-2014, 03:09 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Whats the point of even having a backyard then?
To provide distance from the neighbors.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
To provide distance from the neighbors.
I KNEW you were going to say that!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Something to add to the discussion...I'm reading the manual to our controls system right now and learned that they actually have automatically chemical dispensers now that will sense the pool's chemical balance and add chlorine or bromine, muriatic acid or CO2 gas. It monitors the level continuously and shows the stats in real time.

Looking online, it looks to cost about $900.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,087 times
We are purchasing a house with a pool. Our first home and our first pool. We've been in the desert less than two years and having spent all the previous years of our life up north, I couldn't pass it up. I'm all for maintaining it but I have no idea where to start!

Am I correct in assuming I can pay one of the local pool stores to send a guy over to tell me all about my pool, if it's working ok and provide me with a maintenance schedule for it? I really don't care what it costs but I wanna make sure I'm doing everything right from the start.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
I guess I am curious as to how much more is your water bill with the pool and before you had it?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I guess I am curious as to how much more is your water bill with the pool and before you had it?
I can let you know once we get our water bill. I'm sure it'll be less now than in the summer when evaporation is much higher.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
We are purchasing a house with a pool. Our first home and our first pool. We've been in the desert less than two years and having spent all the previous years of our life up north, I couldn't pass it up. I'm all for maintaining it but I have no idea where to start!

Am I correct in assuming I can pay one of the local pool stores to send a guy over to tell me all about my pool, if it's working ok and provide me with a maintenance schedule for it? I really don't care what it costs but I wanna make sure I'm doing everything right from the start.
You can hire a pool guy. He comes out once every week and does the basic necessary maintenance but he can't be there all the time so even if you have a pool guy, it's a good idea to check your pool chemicals every couple of days or so. Trust me on this, the LAST thing you want is for your pool to have an algae bloom. It takes a week or more to get it cleaned up and a few dollars in chlorine to make it go away and all the while, you shouldn't be in the pool. It just plain SUCKS.
I tried using the pool company to maintain my pool and it was horrible. A green pool every few weeks and they were selling me hundreds and hundreds of dollars in chemicals. I finally decided to take care of my pool myself and it has worked out beautifully. I use very little chemicals other than regular liquid chlorine and a little bit of muratic acid to keep my pool balanced.
Check out this website and the guys there will be more than helpful with all your questions.
A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool

Quote:
My water bill in the winter is usually about $35.00 or less. During the summer, it goes up to $50.00 or more but I have a sand filter so I'm back washing quite a bit during the summer to keep my calcium from building up too much.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
You can get a pretty decent calculation of it. Say you evaporte 1/2 inch of water a day in the heat of summer. You have a pool of 400 sq ft surface area. Your water loss is

.5/12 ft x 400 sq ft = 16.67 cu ft of water per day to evaporation. Water is priced by the thousand gallons and 16.67 cuft is about 125 gallons per day. 30 days in a month and you lose 125 * 30 = 3750 gallons. Round it off to 4000 gallons for splash. Water sells for around $3.00 per 1000 gallons in summer so it costs you $12.00 for the water.

BUT WAIT!

All the cities also soak you for sewer which is based on your water use. You probably pay at least as much for sewer as for the water so it comes up to $24.00.

BUT WAIT!

The cities do not charge you for sewer use above what you use in winter if you have been here a year and have a "track record" of what you used in winter. You can also appeal in the first year and they will adjust it. So in the end, it comes close to $12.00 per month for a 400 sq ft pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area