Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 AM

268 posts, read 431,010 times

Advertisements

I like bathtub water. Don't even get in the pool until it's 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 AM

397 posts, read 660,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
I like bathtub water. Don't even get in the pool until it's 85.
Same here, I hate cold water, I love having a heater so I can get the water up to around 89.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 AM

687 posts, read 4,406,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
very nice pool posted by Detroit....I'd even eliminate that raised back thing and its obligatory "water feature"....it looks cool for a few minutes, but then becomes unnecessary, especially with that forlorn single chair perched up there in an utterly impractical location!
No, the chair makes for a nice portable diving board.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM

247 posts, read 844,661 times
I hardly think there is a lot of evaporation going on as others have mentioned, my bill hardly fluctuates. I will take my under $90 water bill over my high water bill & maintenance of a front & back yard of grass in Texas, anyday!
The easy fix to help keep the water cool, is to shade the area with shade sails.

I have a simple 18,000 gallon, salt pool and above ground spa. I have the Sand Shark in ground cleaner that works wonderfully. The only change I would make is the color of the plaster, I would have gone darker so you can't see the our lovely red clay that stains the pool. I can't stand the Pebble Tec products as even the Pebble Sheen didn't feel comfortable to me, to walk on.

I go back and forth on waterfall features and if I would like it, I don't really want to draw more birds into my yard...snacks for my cats.

I love the ability to walk on the cool deck and my dog likes sunning on it too. If someone comes up with a tile or stone that doesn't flake and sediment winds up in your pool and it's still cool to walk on...that would be great. Until then, I would do the cool deck all over again!

I think the only thing I would of done is install bubblers on my baja step and maybe, LED lighting, other than that, I'm happy.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,478,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
I hardly think there is a lot of evaporation going on as others have mentioned, my bill hardly fluctuates.
From Arizona Department of Water Resources:

http://www.azwater.gov/azdwr/Statewi.../pool_spas.pdf

"Did you know that more than half of the potable water Arizona homeowners use is outdoors?
Pools and spas are responsible for approximately 16% of the outdoor water use."

Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Quote:
I hardly think there is a lot of evaporation going on as others have mentioned, my bill hardly fluctuates.
pools do lose water through evaporation. You don't see fluctuation because you probably have an autofill feature so it fills the pool daily. It looks a toilet float and should be under one of your covers on the deck.

How Much Water Does My Swimming Pool Lose Through Evaporation? |

Backyard retreats suck water, energy

Quote:
A typical uncovered swimming pool loses 4 to 6 feet of water a year to evaporation in the Tucson and Phoenix areas, according to the Water Resources Department.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM

586 posts, read 542,271 times
We built a 50 X 12 rectangular pool and put a power cover on it. Also have a heat pump. We can use the pool year round and it costs little to heat even in winter. Had a shaped pool before in a previous house and found we barely used it as it wasn't big enough to swim in and was a hassle to heat without cover. Now we swim everyday and the pool is always clean. Cover cost about $8000 and it was worth every penny.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,851,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
We built a 50 X 12 rectangular pool and put a power cover on it. Also have a heat pump. We can use the pool year round and it costs little to heat even in winter. Had a shaped pool before in a previous house and found we barely used it as it wasn't big enough to swim in and was a hassle to heat without cover. Now we swim everyday and the pool is always clean. Cover cost about $8000 and it was worth every penny.
Absolutely agree. I would never own another pool without one. No evaporation either, except for when you're using it. Keeps your chlorine in, reduces algae growth from sunlight, keeps critters out, keeps sand and/or leaves and plant materials out, and it's the only safety feature you need (no locking gates or fences), per AZ regulations.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,343,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusman View Post
Nothing like jumping into your pool and enjoying the nice, warm, refreshing, bath water temperature water due to the climate we live in. I would re-think even having a pool with this in mind.
That just means you change your swim time from when the sun's out to when it's dark.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:49 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,625,027 times
I'm not in Arizona but caught the thread title as I was scrolling. We remodeled our pool last year and I would have added more built in umbrella holders in the deck and in the pool. With our pebble product the builder add pieces of abalone shell which when he told me I thought was strange but looking back I would pay to have more added as I think the reflective nature is pretty cool. Love the pebble product over white plaster

Before

After

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area