Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A caveat on the automatic fill feature. I have it so this is not a rationalization of not having one. It will give you a "bathtub" ring in no time. Due to extreme evaporation and the hard water here you will get deposition of salts at the water line. Auto fillers keep the water at the exact same level and rainfall is rarely sufficient to change that for more that a day or so. So you end up with a thin line of salt deposits there that is nearly impossible to get off unless you are diligent about scrubbing them off regularly. Without auto fill the level fluctuates enough that the deposition is spread around a bit and the line is less noticeable and less thick and comes off with some muriatic acid.

Now, I would not be without the autofill. With auto fill and a salt pool you can actually leave town for several days or longer and not ask your neighbors to keep your pool filled for you or have to hire a pool guy. In summer you can lose a 1/4-1/2 inch a day of water from the pool.
That is a good point, one that I hadn't considered. As much as I complain about the lack of one, I did have a "bathtub ring" effect in the last pool and don't have one in this pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
A caveat on the automatic fill feature. I have it so this is not a rationalization of not having one. It will give you a "bathtub" ring in no time. Due to extreme evaporation and the hard water here you will get deposition of salts at the water line. Auto fillers keep the water at the exact same level and rainfall is rarely sufficient to change that for more that a day or so. So you end up with a thin line of salt deposits there that is nearly impossible to get off unless you are diligent about scrubbing them off regularly. Without auto fill the level fluctuates enough that the deposition is spread around a bit and the line is less noticeable and less thick and comes off with some muriatic acid.

Now, I would not be without the autofill. With auto fill and a salt pool you can actually leave town for several days or longer and not ask your neighbors to keep your pool filled for you or have to hire a pool guy. In summer you can lose a 1/4-1/2 inch a day of water from the pool.
Good idea/never thought of that.

Some neighbors of ours told us they used pumice stone and a chemical they bought from a local pool store and with some scrubbing work removed the mineral line but they said it certainly took some scrubbing. I never tried it.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Our 2 cents after having a pool installed back in 2010:

- We used Presidential Pools for our install and can't recommend them enough. Our sales guy was on the ball/a super nice guy/no pressure person that made the process super smooth. The sub-contractors they used did excellent work/the project was finished ahead of time.

- I would highly recommend a salt water pool just for convenience and for the feel on the skin. I've been swimming since I was 7 years old and swam in a chlorinated pool most of my life and I think the salt water generated chlorine is much nicer on the skin(just keep your ph right!). Also nice not having to throw any chlorine on a schedule in the pool/let the panel/salt cell automate the salt "natural" chorination process via the computer panel.

- We love the pop-up cleaning system/glad we spent the $ for it. Our pool is approx 30' long and 17' wide at the widest(it's kidney shaped) and it does a stellar job at cleaning the bottom. We are happy with the size pool to do laps and just hang out. Depth is 3' to gradual depth of 5' and that's perfect for our use.

- Have a stone waterfall and we end up rarely using it. Looks nice surrounded by plants but don't know if I personally would want another one but I think my wife would have a different view on that.

- Have a bench with therapy jets on the back wall near it. Feels nice on the back but same end result with waterfall....we never use it.

- We have a pebble-sheen finish, which is what they called the smoother version of pebble-tec back in 2010. I think they might have changed the terminology since then but we are very happy with making that choice. It's comfortable on the feet, looks nice, and comes in a bunch of colors.

- We went with cement decking with cool-deck paint applied. While I think it looks nice, if we were going to do it all over again, I think I'd like to go with slate or travertine just for the more natural/organic look. I think it's very classy/timeless looking. And I'd strongly suggest going with a light color decking no matter what material you choose....even the light tan color we have on our cool-decking, there's a period in the summer where it is very hot to walk on and you'll say "ouch" within a few seconds of walking barefoot on the decking if it's dry. I can't imagine what walking on dark color decking would be like.

- Last but not least, I would say to anyone considering a pool, be honest with yourself that you feel you're going to use the pool out in the future or get a good deal of joy from it as a focal point of your yard if you don't plan to actually swim in it very much. We know quite a few people who have pools that used them a decent amount in the 1st year they got them and each year after, less and less until they stopped using them. And for that matter, many who don't even use their backyards anymore for enjoyment other than to store their trash cans/take the dog out and the pool has become just a maintenance item. Not trying to be negative in any way, just some observations from some people we know. On the other side, there are many who love their pool either for atmosphere and/or using them. Just something to perhaps think about before digging/writing a few zeros in those checks.

Good luck on your decision!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

- We used Presidential Pools for our install and can't recommend them enough. Our sales guy was on the ball/a super nice guy/no pressure person that made the process super smooth. The sub-contractors they used did excellent work/the project was finished ahead of time.

- I would highly recommend a salt water pool just for convenience and for the feel on the skin. I've been swimming since I was 7 years old and swam in a chlorinated pool most of my life and I think the salt water generated chlorine is much nicer on the skin(just keep your ph right!). Also nice not having to throw any chlorine on a schedule in the pool/let the panel/salt cell automate the salt "natural" chorination process via the computer panel.

- We love the pop-up cleaning system/glad we spent the $ for it. Our pool is approx 30' long and 17' wide at the widest(it's kidney shaped) and it does a stellar job at cleaning the bottom. We are happy with the size pool to do laps and just hang out. Depth is 3' to gradual depth of 5' and that's perfect for our use.

- Have a stone waterfall and we end up rarely using it. Looks nice surrounded by plants but don't know if I personally would want another one but I think my wife would have a different view on that.

- Have a bench with therapy jets on the back wall near it. Feels nice on the back but same end result with waterfall....we never use it.

- We have a pebble-sheen finish, which is what they called the smoother version of pebble-tec back in 2010. I think they might have changed the terminology since then but we are very happy with making that choice. It's comfortable on the feet, looks nice, and comes in a bunch of colors.

- We went with cement decking with cool-deck paint applied. While I think it looks nice, if we were going to do it all over again, I think I'd like to go with slate or travertine just for the more natural/organic look. I think it's very classy/timeless looking. And I'd strongly suggest going with a light color decking no matter what material you choose....even the light tan color we have on our cool-decking, there's a period in the summer where it is very hot to walk on and you'll say "ouch" within a few seconds of walking barefoot on the decking if it's dry. I can't imagine what walking on dark color decking would be like.

- Last but not least, I would say to anyone considering a pool, be honest with yourself that you feel you're going to use the pool out in the future or get a good deal of joy from it as a focal point of your yard if you don't plan to actually swim in it very much. We know quite a few people who have pools that used them a decent amount in the 1st year they got them and each year after, less and less until they stopped using them. And for that matter, many who don't even use their backyards anymore for enjoyment other than to store their trash cans/take the dog out and the pool has become just a maintenance item. Not trying to be negative in any way, just some observations from some people we know. On the other side, there are many who love their pool either for atmosphere and/or using them. Just something to perhaps think about before digging/writing a few zeros in those checks.

That's us. It was great when the kids were little, but now it is just another chore along with the rest of the back yard. It came with the house, so at least we are not still making a payment on it (directly anyway). Even our Canadians who last winter spent every waking minute in their pool are rarely in it this year even though the weather has been nicer. It gets old in a hurry and basically becomes a landscape/gathering feature and then even that fades away. Give me rock and a couple of desert shrubs!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
I would discuss, in greater detail, the placement of the skimmer and the pool light. Our skimmer is at the opposite end of the pool from where the wind/breeze moves all the stuff that accumulates on top of the water and it takes a long time of running to get it in the skimmer.

Our skimmer is on the north east side of the pool and for some reason all the stuff gets blown to the south side of the pool. I don't know if there is any science to this but I would have much preferred the skimmer to be on the south end of the pool to suck all that out quickly.

The light needs to be placed where it will shine over the entire pool, don't rely on it "bouncing" off of a wall to illuminate a part that isn't in the direct path of the light.

Presidential Pools built our pool for us in 2008 and we have been very happy with them.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:39 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,945,240 times
Quote:
That's us. It was great when the kids were little, but now it is just another chore along with the rest of the back yard. It came with the house, so at least we are not still making a payment on it (directly anyway). Even our Canadians who last winter spent every waking minute in their pool are rarely in it this year even though the weather has been nicer. It gets old in a hurry and basically becomes a landscape/gathering feature and then even that fades away. Give me rock and a couple of desert shrubs!
Whats the point of even having a backyard then?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:19 PM

28 posts, read 49,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Thanks Steve! Great info...our boys competitive swam and we are all big swimmers. Even when there's no one but hubs and I, we love the water and will enjoy the distraction from the "dry" heat

Old 01-16-2014, 01:21 PM

28 posts, read 49,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I would discuss, in greater detail, the placement of the skimmer and the pool light. Our skimmer is at the opposite end of the pool from where the wind/breeze moves all the stuff that accumulates on top of the water and it takes a long time of running to get it in the skimmer.

Our skimmer is on the north east side of the pool and for some reason all the stuff gets blown to the south side of the pool. I don't know if there is any science to this but I would have much preferred the skimmer to be on the south end of the pool to suck all that out quickly.

The light needs to be placed where it will shine over the entire pool, don't rely on it "bouncing" off of a wall to illuminate a part that isn't in the direct path of the light.

Presidential Pools built our pool for us in 2008 and we have been very happy with them.
LBTRS: Skimmer location is Something I never would have thought about. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:34 PM

157 posts, read 356,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meye4suns View Post
LBTRS: Skimmer location is Something I never would have thought about. Thanks!
The science behind it is very simple. Most of the time the skimmer is placed near the equipment to save cost. The idea is to strategically place the return jets around the pool and have the "eyeballs" all pointed in the same direction to create a "current" that feeds any floating debris past the skimmer where it can pick it up

Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
The science behind it is very simple. Most of the time the skimmer is placed near the equipment to save cost. The idea is to strategically place the return jets around the pool and have the "eyeballs" all pointed in the same direction to create a "current" that feeds any floating debris past the skimmer where it can pick it up
My "return jets" are the in-floor popup heads that do a great job creating "current" on the pool floor but limited "current" on top of the water. There is some movement at the top but it takes a long time to get the stuff on top the water into the skimmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area