Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,825,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
The Las Vegas strip looks and feels like a small chunk of Manhattan in the middle of the desert.

Other than that and all the 24-7 activity I never thought it seemed like a true big city, more like a big funpark and very superficial.

There's not much in the way of culture, museums, zoos, good jobs, or higher education.

But the scenery, climate, and the newness are very similar to Phoenix.
The active Las Vegas Valley is roughly 500 Square miles. You have seen perhaps 5 of them? And that has allowed you to form an opinion?

That is our factory...our steel mill...has very little to do with actually living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The active Las Vegas Valley is roughly 500 Square miles. You have seen perhaps 5 of them? And that has allowed you to form an opinion?

That is our factory...our steel mill...has very little to do with actually living here.
No I have been all over Las Vegas including downtown, Henderson, Summerlin, over to Lake Mead, and up to Mount Charleston recreational area.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen on the strip and all the places away from it.

Outside of the strip area and downtown much of Las Vegas looks and feels something like Mesa.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No I have been all over Las Vegas including downtown, Henderson, Summerlin, over to Lake Mead, and up to Mount Charleston recreational area.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen on the strip and all the places away from it.

Outside of the strip area and downtown much of Las Vegas looks and feels something like Mesa.
ohh good. Give me your views on TPC and the Ridges versus good Scottsdale.

How about Sun City Summerlin or Anthem versus Sun City, AZ

That gives you the opportunity to display your expertise at both end of the spectrum.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:
ohh good. Give me your views on TPC and the Ridges versus good Scottsdale.

How about Sun City Summerlin or Anthem versus Sun City, AZ

That gives you the opportunity to display your expertise at both end of the spectrum.
I'm not sure what TPC is but I remember driving by an area called the Ridges and thought the location resembled far northern Scottsdale in appearance.

Sun City Summerlin is similar to Sun City Grand in the northwest valley, not anything like the original Sun City.

The strip resembles a chunk of Times Square.

Downtown is kind of seedy and a deadzone except the Fremont Street Experience.

Henderson and many other parts of Las Vegas resemble Mesa.

I've heard north Las Vegas is a place to stay away from so I stayed away.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
TPC Vegas and TPC Scottsdale are very comparable. Scottsdale has more than triple the number of courses that Vegas has.

Comparing the original retirement master-planned community to one built within the past twenty years makes no sense.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'll never do that drive again. You're constantly getting jammed up by slowpokes or passing in the oncoming lane. It's not a fun drive. I'll take the quick zip on SW over that any day. I like to go fast and I don't think I've ever made it in less than 5 hours.
I don't remember what part of the Valley you live in but 5 hours from Phoenix to Vegas sounds reasonable to me. I can make it in exactly 4 hours from Cottonwood. Over the mountain to Prescott, north to Ashfork and I-40 to Vegas. I have cousins in Seligman if I feel like taking a break.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what TPC is but I remember driving by an area called the Ridges and thought the location resembled far northern Scottsdale in appearance.

Sun City Summerlin is similar to Sun City Grand in the northwest valley, not anything like the original Sun City.

The strip resembles a chunk of Times Square.

Downtown is kind of seedy and a deadzone except the Fremont Street Experience.

Henderson and many other parts of Las Vegas resemble Mesa.

I've heard north Las Vegas is a place to stay away from so I stayed away.
TPC is a small tract in Summerlin. About 100 homes range from about 1 million to about 100 million.

The heart of the Ridges is similar but starts higher and cuts off around 25 million.

I would certainly agree that Sun City AZ is not remotely comparable to Sun City Summerlin. But those from Phoenix insist on better architecture and appearance. Not my comparison.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
TPC Vegas and TPC Scottsdale are very comparable. Scottsdale has more than triple the number of courses that Vegas has.

Comparing the original retirement master-planned community to one built within the past twenty years makes no sense.
Scottsdale appears to have around 30 courses. That will not triple Vegas. Will more than triple Summerlin but not Vegas. Actually I think Summerlin has more courses than it can support.

Then I would think Phoenix should simply admit it has areas of architectural inferiority and stop featuring superiority. It has nice places. It also has large and ugly not so nice.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
I would certainly agree that Sun City AZ is not remotely comparable to Sun City Summerlin. But those from Phoenix insist on better architecture and appearance. Not my comparison.
Why did you use Sun City as a comparison then? Do you think it is the only retirement community here? There are many higher end, newer ones if you want a fair comparison.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Why did you use Sun City as a comparison then? Do you think it is the only retirement community here? There are many higher end, newer ones if you want a fair comparison.
My rationale is pretty obvious. Phoenix claims in the comparison nicer architecture in the tracts. Basically we are prettier. It has never been true and is still not. So I need an example. What better than the vast and ugly waste land known as Sun City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area