Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM

445 posts, read 516,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
The only confused people here are the same sex individuals who wish to get married..
C'mon Heath...what's wrong with a little dude on dude action within the confines of a legally-recognized union if the two dudes love each other?

Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,481,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
So the city council (=government) gets to decide which his an appropriate religion vs. which is not??? Wow, you are the biggest BIG GOVERNMENT proponent I have ever seen in this forum. And given the history of that configuration in Europe before and for example in the Muslim world it creates today I hope this will never ever happen here. NEVER EVER.
No, common sense tells you it's ridiculous to invite people who claim to worship Satan to deliver a prayer before a government meeting. I'd believe that even if I was still an atheist.

There's something to be said for at least trying to maintain a semblance of decorum in public life.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:41 PM

445 posts, read 516,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
How are they any different than the Christians taking the spotlight that feel the need to say a prayer at a municipal meeting?

"Ooh, look at us, look at us! We love the bible and we're proud of it! Check out my cross necklace, moral superiority, and my Jesus tattoo! Grrrrrr!"
Quote:
Of course the goal is to do away with the silly invocation that has absolutely no place in a public setting. In order to do that, one most expose the absurdity of the whole thing. I say, job well done to the Satanists.
Apparently I need to spread the love around before I can rate any more of your posts positively, but right on to all of this!

I don't get down on anyone for praying to whatever god they believe in. If it works for you, that's great as long as it doesn't hurt others or inhibit the ability of others to freely practice what they believe in. But if you want to introduce religion into governmental proceedings in a country that is supposed to be welcoming to those of all beliefs, all of those beliefs deserve representation if they desire it.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
No, common sense tells you it's ridiculous to invite people who claim to worship Satan to deliver a prayer before a government meeting. I'd believe that even if I was still an atheist.

There's something to be said for at least trying to maintain a semblance of decorum in public life.
How is it any more ridiculous than inviting people that pray to a magical sky man? All of this sort of ridiculousness should be stopped.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,515 times
Highly inaccurate but hey, whatever makes you sleep better..

Old 02-02-2016, 05:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Highly inaccurate but hey, whatever makes you sleep better..
These vague posts aren't doing much to contribute to the discussion. To whom are you replying and regarding what?

Old 02-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
These vague posts aren't doing much to contribute to the discussion. To whom are you replying and regarding what?
Sorry, you're right. I was replying to Ruby regarding the media and cults. Is some stuff fabricated and sensationalized? Sure but not all, there are unfortunately sick people in all walks of life.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
C'mon Heath...what's wrong with a little dude on dude action within the confines of a legally-recognized union if the two dudes love each other?
Well when you put it like that!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,509,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo71 View Post
Just as the proponents of legalizing male-male marriage or female-female marriage seek the ultimate goal of dismantling state recognition of marriage for everyone ("Get government out of the marriage business!" they cry), the ultimate objective here is to destruct, to do away with invocation before city council meetings.

The whole point of invocation before meetings, since the founding of our country, was to ask God to bless the work of the public servants. There is no point in asking Satan to "bless" your work, or to ask one's "higher self" to bless one's own work. This is how you keep the tradition of invocation without allowing the nonsense.
I would have no issue with invocation before meetings but why does it have to be based on Christian-oriented beliefs?

The last time I checked, freedom of religion includes all religions including the ones that don't worship a God per-se.

Nice way of bringing the same-sex marriage issue to the discussion which has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,509,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Can I get an amen?
Amen and hallelujah.

Isn't it ironic how self-described conservatives emphasize freedom of religion but only if it's a religion they adhere to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area