Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,308,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, we don't have KMart on Cactus Rd & 32nd St. They closed it down. Due to economy downturn.

I was once a Kmart fan, shopped there often before i lived here. When I first moved to the valley i used to go to the one in Glendale (near 75-ish Ave and Bell) and it was actually a nice one. The one at I17 and Northern is not. It's HORRIBLE. The few times I have been i swear it will be the last. Of all the closings, that one should have been first IMO.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:50 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,645,471 times
So why not build a Super Target instead, are there not enough around? Walmart could use more competition and Target is known for being more urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,025,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I don't know, there's something kind of sad about old malls closing, especially if you have nice memories from there. There was a mall around here that closed about ten years ago, its anchors were JC Penney and Mervyns, and it sat empty for years before finally being demolished.
I'm just a recent Phoenix transplant, but I'm also sad to hear that the mall will be destroyed. Those 60's and 70's era malls have character to them. They also mark a significant period in American consumer culture. I've heard people say that Phoenix is lacking historic buildings, I can see why now. It's as if post WW2 construction doesn't count. But when I drive down a big boulevard and see late 50s and 1960s era stripmalls, it makes me feel like I'm in a big city, a city that was well booming before I was even born! Just take a drive down Van Nuys or Ventura Boulevard in LA and you'll see what I'm talking about, that's big city flavor.

Another reason I like these old malls is that they actually have unique stores in them. Oh, and the best thing is these indoor malls are air conditioned. Because as far as I know, the earth isn't going through a cooling phase at present.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So why not build a Super Target instead, are there not enough around? Walmart could use more competition and Target is known for being more urban.
Target tends to have a better "reputation" than Walmart, yet their products also come from third world countries, and their employees aren't paid much better. It's more of a shopper mindset.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'm just a recent Phoenix transplant, but I'm also sad to hear that the mall will be destroyed. Those 60's and 70's era malls have character to them. They also mark a significant period in American consumer culture. I've heard people say that Phoenix is lacking historic buildings, I can see why now. It's as if post WW2 construction doesn't count. But when I drive down a big boulevard and see late 50s and 1960s era stripmalls, it makes me feel like I'm in a big city, a city that was well booming before I was even born! Just take a drive down Van Nuys or Ventura Boulevard in LA and you'll see what I'm talking about, that's big city flavor.

Another reason I like these old malls is that they actually have unique stores in them. Oh, and the best thing is these indoor malls are air conditioned. Because as far as I know, the earth isn't going through a cooling phase at present.
I agree with you in spirit, I grew up right next to Metrocenter. That said, it's not really a mall worth preserving, otherwise it'll become Christown Spectrum i.e. remodeled and characterless with seedy characters roaming.

In its original form Metrocenter was pretty cool with an ice rink, an arcade, perfect spot for cruising etc.

Nevertheless:

Mall's owner: Metrocenter is not being demolished - Story | KSAZ

Old 10-15-2016, 12:49 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Trader joes would be awesome, there isn't one anywhere near there. That would be centrally located from the rest of em, but honestly I just don't see it for the neighborhood. Just north of it has In-n-out, Raising canes, (the new places also now are the) MOD pizza, Pei, Wei, and Panera Bread; I see as a little more unique and quality for fast food. I like the direction its going, maybe a Rudy's BBQ. If they could find a way to add a drive thru, Id say turn the Macys into a Portillos. Maybe if C&C was too expand it would be too an indoor kart track, but I don't see that as probable.

Either way, once the light rail goes there and when the new Walmart is done, that will bring up the business overall in that area and keep it steady for a long time. Theres a 99cent store and a dollar tree both right there too, I hope WM doesn't put them out of business.
Trader Joe's used to be in one of the out parcels at Metrocenter.

The Metrocenter store closed when they opened up their Arrowhead store.

If Trader Joe's expands, I'd expect it to go to the Norterra area. Maybe in either the recently vacated Sport Chalet or Roomstore location at Norterra.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,360,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, this is one. They do have Sbarro at Scottsdale Fashion Square, but we didn't go there. We didn't have a chance to go there. Because it was too far away from there. We don't go there. We lived in Desert Ridge.
As stated, the Sbarro at Scottsdale Fashion Square is gone. The only two remaining are at Superstition Springs Center and Arrowhead Towne Center.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,638,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I agree with you in spirit, I grew up right next to Metrocenter. That said, it's not really a mall worth preserving, otherwise it'll become Christown Spectrum i.e. remodeled and characterless with seedy characters roaming.

In its original form Metrocenter was pretty cool with an ice rink, an arcade, perfect spot for cruising etc.

Nevertheless:

Mall's owner: Metrocenter is not being demolished - Story | KSAZ
It almost sounds like they are going to do to that mall what they did to the Galleria at Drinkwater&Stetson

Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,224,087 times
It's probably been 10 years since I was there, but is the theatre still operating?

Old 10-15-2016, 02:19 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,100,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
It's probably been 10 years since I was there, but is the theatre still operating?

Yep, probably a big part of why the food court is still in bizniss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area