Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:35 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
WalMart will make the area into another ChrisTown, which isn't anything to brag about. I had to laugh when I read about the plans to turn Metrocenter into an "urban village", and then it mentioned a super WalMart being constructed, which is only going to make the place more of a suburban slum if anything. Obviously when it comes to planning & development, Phoenix has a lot to learn about what's "urban" and what will be a good long term investment. I still think a large theme park would be a better investment for the site instead of more of the same.
That's a very good question. Why don't we have at least one national-size amusement park in Phoenix? I get that we have a lot of water parks and I like them. But shouldn't we have at least one big amusement park with stuff for younger and older kids combined - rides, roller coasters, water rides etc. Southern California has at least 4 of them that I know of. Some way below the quality of Disneyland. Why can't we have at least one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 10:57 PM

7,329 posts, read 12,395,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
That's a very good question. Why don't we have at least one national-size amusement park in Phoenix? I get that we have a lot of water parks and I like them. But shouldn't we have at least one big amusement park with stuff for younger and older kids combined - rides, roller coasters, water rides etc. Southern California has at least 4 of them that I know of. Some way below the quality of Disneyland. Why can't we have at least one?
Summer heat is part of the reason. Such a major theme park would have to be heavily reliant on winter traffic, and since most school age children have their longest break in the summer, it would not be sustainable to rely solely on winter traffic due to the extreme heat in the summer.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Summer heat is part of the reason. Such a major theme park would have to be heavily reliant on winter traffic, and since most school age children have their longest break in the summer, it would not be sustainable to rely solely on winter traffic due to the extreme heat in the summer.
Florida and Texas seem to get by.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:05 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Florida and Texas seem to get by.
There is a difference between 90-95 and 105-110.

Also, just imagine how hot the seats on the rides would get. Unless you made them all white, I could imagine people wearing shorts burning their thighs on a dark seat

Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,086,833 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There is a difference between 90-95 and 105-110.

Also, just imagine how hot the seats on the rides would get. Unless you made them all white, I could imagine people wearing shorts burning their thighs on a dark seat
Or do what I would prefer and be open mostly at night. As long as they are not open 24 hours they could still get the people to leave. (to pay for another day. )

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 12,395,280 times
Now one theme park that might be viable here in the Phoenix area would be a second Water Country USA location (there is currently only one in Williamsburg, VA). I would think perhaps a location in Gilbert, East Mesa, or Goodyear would be potential locations.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:18 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
We've had threads about the amusement park/theme park issue in the recent past where it was discussed at length. Here's just one. https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...any-brand.html and here's another: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...n-phoenix.html There are others, I know, but they may not have "amusement" or "theme" in the title.

Nothing like that is going to happen on the Metrocenter property, though.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,010,292 times
Quote:
As stated, the Sbarro at Scottsdale Fashion Square is gone. The only two remaining are at Superstition Springs Center and Arrowhead Towne Center.

Sbarro. Bleah. Airport food.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
We've had threads about the amusement park/theme park issue in the recent past where it was discussed at length. Here's just one. https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...any-brand.html and here's another: https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...n-phoenix.html There are others, I know, but they may not have "amusement" or "theme" in the title.

You're killing the dream!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,010,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

I have a hard time seeing how one would do well anywhere in the Valley. Prime season for a theme park is summer when school is out, and its just too hot here then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area