Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So why not build a Super Target instead, are there not enough around? Walmart could use more competition and Target is known for being more urban.
Not only with a new Walmart going in does that seem like it wouldn't happen, but there is already a Target at 19th ave & Bethany home which is about 4 miles away, but even closer is 44th ave and Peoria, only about 2 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Trader Joe's used to be in one of the out parcels at Metrocenter.

The Metrocenter store closed when they opened up their Arrowhead store.

If Trader Joe's expands, I'd expect it to go to the Norterra area. Maybe in either the recently vacated Sport Chalet or Roomstore location at Norterra.
Did not know that thanks. I would personally love to have that their, and maybe that would fit if theres a new vibe the area is going for. With the snowbirds coming, so do the bums, and they flood that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
It's probably been 10 years since I was there, but is the theatre still operating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Yep, probably a big part of why the food court is still in bizniss.
yep, I was thinking the entire mall in general.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 11:20 PM

431 posts, read 98,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
So why not build a Super Target instead, are there not enough around? Walmart could use more competition and Target is known for being more urban.
Actually, we do have Walmart super on Cactus Rd & Tatum Blvd, but I don't think Target have it. Sorry!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:22 PM

431 posts, read 98,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
It's probably been 10 years since I was there, but is the theatre still operating?
Yes, Harkins Theatres will be there. I think AMC will no longer. it's gonna to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As stated, the Sbarro at Scottsdale Fashion Square is gone. The only two remaining are at Superstition Springs Center and Arrowhead Towne Center.
You're right. I didn't even know that. I have no idea. We didn't go to Scottsdale Fashion Square. We don't go there very much. Because it was too far from there.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:55 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I've said this before with castles n coasters there that site would be perfect for an amusement park. Centrally located with freeway access.
I used to work there. Back when I was working at CnC we had heard from the superiors that they were considering purchasing Metro Mall (this was about 2012) but had been outbid by a foreign investment company. So they did try to get Metro Mall, and I know because I heard it from my own bosses.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:14 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Target tends to have a better "reputation" than Walmart, yet their products also come from third worlSd countries, and their employees aren't paid much better. It's more of a shopper mindset.
So very true. They're no better than Walmart, IMO. I know, as I worked there once during a x-mas season. Minimum wage. Their prices are way too high for the junk they have.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:25 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'm just a recent Phoenix transplant, but I'm also sad to hear that the mall will be destroyed. Those 60's and 70's era malls have character to them. They also mark a significant period in American consumer culture. I've heard people say that Phoenix is lacking historic buildings, I can see why now. It's as if post WW2 construction doesn't count. But when I drive down a big boulevard and see late 50s and 1960s era stripmalls, it makes me feel like I'm in a big city, a city that was well booming before I was even born! Just take a drive down Van Nuys or Ventura Boulevard in LA and you'll see what I'm talking about, that's big city flavor.

Another reason I like these old malls is that they actually have unique stores in them. Oh, and the best thing is these indoor malls are air conditioned. Because as far as I know, the earth isn't going through a cooling phase at present.
Phoenix has not done the best with historical buildings but there's nothing special about Metrocenter other than it was an amazing mall decades ago. There's nothing special about the structure. It's just a building.

I drove to Arrowhead yesterday for Sbarro. This thread was making me hungry.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM

38 posts, read 207,642 times
Default So sad....

It used to be such a fun, safe vibrant place....Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Eve 1985 01a - MetroCenter-reduced.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	176147

Click image for larger version

Name:	July 1986 - 09 - MetroCenter - Golf-n-Stuff-reduced.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	176148

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas Eve 1985 02a - Peoria Ave-reduced.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	176149

Old 10-16-2016, 04:56 PM

226 posts, read 227,422 times
Metrocenter is going the way of Christown, Desert Sky and Park Central. All dead malls with a lot of boring specialty shops all selling the same expensive garbage (or inexpensive garbage). It's only a matter of time. Walmart will not save Metrocenter. Maybe Victoria's Secret will. ROFL!!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Metrocenter is going the way of Christown, Desert Sky and Park Central. All dead malls with a lot of boring specialty shops all selling the same expensive garbage (or inexpensive garbage). It's only a matter of time. Walmart will not save Metrocenter. Maybe Victoria's Secret will. ROFL!!
Desert Sky is still around, it's just a Mexico mall now

Old 10-16-2016, 05:44 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
I'm just a recent Phoenix transplant, but I'm also sad to hear that the mall will be destroyed. Those 60's and 70's era malls have character to them. They also mark a significant period in American consumer culture. I've heard people say that Phoenix is lacking historic buildings, I can see why now. It's as if post WW2 construction doesn't count. But when I drive down a big boulevard and see late 50s and 1960s era stripmalls, it makes me feel like I'm in a big city, a city that was well booming before I was even born! Just take a drive down Van Nuys or Ventura Boulevard in LA and you'll see what I'm talking about, that's big city flavor.
I know what you mean, but a lot of the post WWII structures are suburban styled, including many of the ones in L.A. At the same time, it's a shame how Metrocenter has been allowed to go to the dogs like it has. I remember back in the 1970s it was a mall that was the envy of the nation. Now it's a dump (except for some of the businesses along Metro Parkway).

Quote:
Another reason I like these old malls is that they actually have unique stores in them. Oh, and the best thing is these indoor malls are air conditioned. Because as far as I know, the earth isn't going through a cooling phase at present.
I agree 100%. These newer outdoor based mega shopping areas obviously don't have Phoenix's summer heat in mind, whereas the older indoor malls do. I'd rather park in a covered garage, go inside a mall from store to store in air conditioned comfort than park outside in the hot sun and go from store to store out in the damn heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
WalMart will make the area into another ChrisTown, which isn't anything to brag about. I had to laugh when I read about the plans to turn Metrocenter into an "urban village", and then it mentioned a super WalMart being constructed, which is only going to make the place more of a suburban slum if anything. Obviously when it comes to planning & development, Phoenix has a lot to learn about what's "urban" and what will be a good long term investment. I still think a large theme park would be a better investment for the site instead of more of the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area