Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 06:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,044 times

Advertisements

I don't think the owners understand that they have no leverage. This isn't like if the Cardinals threatened to leave, where the people would probably line up to pay taxes for them; so few people really care about the Coyotes that there is no public support for any sort of plan. Even if they announced a 100% privately funded solution...would anyone really care? This team just lacks a fan base and its on-ice product does nothing to create one.

Additionally, there is so much Coyote-drama fatigue among Valley residents that not only does no one want to pay taxes for the team, or hear about the team, or go to a game...but they would probably feel relief if the team just left already. I feel bad for the few Coyotes fans that are out there but this poor team would probably be better off had they never come to the Valley at all.

It is not the taxpayers' problem if a professional hockey team makes or loses money. It should never have been their problem and shouldn't be their problem now or in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Im just glad to see the owners and the team are wanting to stay in Arizona. I hope something gets worked out soon.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think the tribal land option is also a long shot. The tribe can provide land, but building the actual stadium will require a lot more money. The Coyotes can only invest 175-200 million. Who is going to pay for the rest?
I would think that the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community would be paying for the rest of the arena.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:02 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Not one nickel for these billionaire sports team owners! Our schools are crumbling, our road filling with potholes. Our transportation projects are decades behind schedule. We can't even afford to pay our teachers a living wage in this state it seems, but we have 100s of millions to throw away on a losing franchise in a sport that few in this valley could care less about. Just say NO!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:05 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Vote no!! Adios, don't let the door hit you.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 AM

586 posts, read 542,189 times
The City and State should really look at what revenue is created from having a team here. And I'm not talking about pie in the sky economic effect numbers. I'm talking income tax from players and team officials plus taxes levied on team revenue. Neither should even consider spending more than they will be getting in return and should be making money from the transaction. As an example if income tax from team and tax from tickets and merchandise all equals $30 million per year I could see Govt kicking in $20 million per year to support an arena. No idea if numbers are anywhere near accurate FTR.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:40 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,731,512 times
People have to learn that so many of these pro teams (especially the ones without real fan bases) and their stadium deals are just public debt/private profit schemes.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I don't think the owners understand that they have no leverage. This isn't like if the Cardinals threatened to leave, where the people would probably line up to pay taxes for them; so few people really care about the Coyotes that there is no public support for any sort of plan. Even if they announced a 100% privately funded solution...would anyone really care? This team just lacks a fan base and its on-ice product does nothing to create one.

Additionally, there is so much Coyote-drama fatigue among Valley residents that not only does no one want to pay taxes for the team, or hear about the team, or go to a game...but they would probably feel relief if the team just left already. I feel bad for the few Coyotes fans that are out there but this poor team would probably be better off had they never come to the Valley at all.

It is not the taxpayers' problem if a professional hockey team makes or loses money. It should never have been their problem and shouldn't be their problem now or in the future
Exactly. It's laughable to me a private business entity comes out and demands they get moved out of a city, Glendale and expect all these freebies/money, often taxpayer $, to build a stadium for their private business. Please. How in the world did it ever come to this?

What's next...retailers demand various valley cities to fully pay for their new retail stores with tax payer dollars?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:13 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,731,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
How in the world did it ever come to this?
Easy. Professional business men (some very successful, some not) play stupid pols from from different cities and or states against each other and voilà you have new stadiums, tax credits, etc. at public cost for private profit.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 PM

586 posts, read 542,189 times
Not familiar with the technology field I assume?? How about manufacturing??
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Exactly. It's laughable to me a private business entity comes out and demands they get moved out of a city, Glendale and expect all these freebies/money, often taxpayer $, to build a stadium for their private business. Please. How in the world did it ever come to this?

What's next...retailers demand various valley cities to fully pay for their new retail stores with tax payer dollars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area