Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 12:00 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The Blackhawks drafted their way to success and didn't spend their way there. They were able to do that by being bad for a long time and getting good draft picks. And also did very well in lower draft position. They spent money after achieving success. Maple Leafs and Championship Legacy is really funny??
I'm glad there is someone else here who knows the Hawks and Leafs.

I cant believe he came on here trying to lecture me about the Hawks. He knows Bill and Rocky Wirtz's name, and like the typical ESPN follower, he spouts off without knowing the team truly. Had he spent any time in Chicago and watching the Hawks draft talent like Kane from the London Knights, and Toews from Dakota, he woulda realized that Rocky didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money like everyone thinks he did. Sure, there were acquisitions, but the Hawks concentrate on drafts. Hossa was a big money signing, but he was an exception it seemed. The Hawks let a big chunk of their talent go after their first Cup victory. We all sat and scratched our heads watching player after player leave, many of which were core talent. We were happy with the Cup, but thought that was it. But, the front office knows what theyre doing, and we garnered two more Cups under Quenville. Now we're within a point of MN, things are looking good again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I beg to differ. Have you ever seen the place when they play the Hawks or the Rangers, etc? Half the stadium is donning the opposing jerseys (like you see here in PHX). There are TONS of hockey fans who moved to CA from elsewhere. And when their favorite teams aren't in town, they root for the Sharks, Ducks, etc. Same goes for PHX. When my Hawks aren't in town I root for the Yotes.
I lived in San Jose. I guarantee you that the vast majority of folks are not from places that play hockey. A large percentage are not from the US.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. Have you ever seen the place when they play the Hawks or the Rangers, etc? Half the stadium is donning the opposing jerseys (like you see here in PHX). There are TONS of hockey fans who moved to CA from elsewhere. And when their favorite teams aren't in town, they root for the Sharks, Ducks, etc. Same goes for PHX. When my Hawks aren't in town I root for the Yotes.
I am referring only to San Jose, NOT Los Angeles or Anaheim which are much different.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:13 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Toronto, though, does have a championship legacy. It's been decades since their last Cup but they remain 2nd in total Cups. That is, in fact, a legacy.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Most of which don't live in the West Valley. Most of these people live in Chandler, Gilbert, and Scottsdale.
That makes sense.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Toronto, though, does have a championship legacy. It's been decades since their last Cup but they remain 2nd in total Cups. That is, in fact, a legacy.
Plus the Maple Leafs are one of the "Original 6" along with Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, Boston and the NY Rangers

Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I lived in San Jose. I guarantee you that the vast majority of folks are not from places that play hockey. A large percentage are not from the US.
Uhhh, Chicago has FAAAAAAAAAAAR more transplants from both inside the US and around the world than San Jose. What does that have to do with hockey attendance and fans?

Last edited by BIG CATS; 03-14-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Once again, another thread has become Chicago Chat.

Let's talk about the LOCAL hockey team on this Phoenix thread, please.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Once again, another thread has become Chicago Chat.

Let's talk about the LOCAL hockey team on this Phoenix thread, please.
We're talking about hockey and the Yotes, nothing is off topic.

We're only using other teams to illustrate what can be done with some patience, a solid team, and good coaching. The Blackhawks are the PRIME example, hence the discussion. I'm confident that with a new stadium in a new location, a solid, young core, and time, the Coyotes will be a contender.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
Quote:
We're talking about hockey and the Yotes, nothing is off topic.

We're only using other teams to illustrate what can be done with some patience, a solid team, and good coaching. The Blackhawks are the PRIME example, hence the discussion. I'm confident that with a new stadium in a new location, a solid, young core, and time, the Coyotes will be a contender.
Do you think so? I'm not so sure. I guess it's possible but there are a lot of hockey teams who haven't ever won a championship.

According to my research, there are four teams of very similar age to the Coyotes (15-20 years old -- Wild, Blue Jackets, Predators, Jets) who have never made it to the Stanley Cup finals, although a couple of them have made the playoffs regularly. (The Coyotes have also not been to the finals, either.)

Also, it took the Sharks, Senators and Capitols 25 years to make it to the final round, where they lost.

I'm just saying there's a lot of recent history showing it's hard to make it to that level. Making the playoffs, sure, they can do that occasionally...but building a team capable of winning the Cup? There's just not much to suggest that's anywhere on the horizon even if they did get a new building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area