Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,148,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Make it a more intimate/smaller venue for concerts and shows. Renovate it into a "Marketplace" with shops and restaurants or apartments/condos. I'm not saying the possibilities are endless, but with such a prime location downtown, I'm sure some architect/developer can figure out a way to reuse the structure.
Yeah that would never happen. Would be easier to implode it and start from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM

772 posts, read 841,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Coyotes' ownership change could clear way to downtown Phoenix arena | 12NEWS.com

I personally have no interest in hockey but a combined downtown arena makes the most sense.
This is the only option that makes any sense having all these arenas all over town would be ridiculous. Then they can tear down talking stick and repurpose the site.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:58 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Here is season ticket holders breakdown for the Coyotes:

Coyotes’ season-ticket buyer breakdown

Premium 1 glass seats: east side 87%; west side 13%

Premium 2 BMX Lounge: east 67%; west 33%

Premium 3 (suites): east 78%; west 22%

Premium loge: east 60%; west 40%

Regular lower-level tickets: east 62%; west 38%

Regular upper-level: east 53%, west 47%

As you can see people from both sides of the Valley buy tickets, you might add if the stadium was on Eastside but might also have to make up for Westside folks who choose not to drive to games as well.
You actually accomplished the opposite. You just proved the majority of season ticket holders are from the East Valley and the overwhelming majority of exclusive seat owners are from the east valley. If anything, you just proved that the team would be more successful with a relocation to the East Valley and would likely sell more seats.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
I don't think I've argued anything different? But can they finish filling the arena and also attracting people to buy the current seats being bought by Westside folks? Would it not make sense for the arena to be more central and attract all sides of the Valley?

Edit: and while the more expensive seats are more Eastside they are a much smaller percentage of overall seats. It's the regular lower and upper level seats that make up most of the arena and almost half of those are Westside folks.
1. The population is greater in the east valley so there are more fans to draw from

2. Of course they will fill the remainder of seats with east valley fans. The demand from the east valley was so high that they drove so far to fill the stadium. Now that it will be closer, the probability that more fans will attend the game will increase.

3. It makes sense that most of the cheaper seats were filled with west valley fans. Fans from the east valley have to drive far so it's likely these same fans will spend the necessary money for a good seat. You are not going to drive 90 minutes in traffic to sit in 10 dollar seats in the upper level.

4. The concern with keeping it in downtown is you will have the same arguments for not attending games like you have now ie traffic. East Valley fans would rather take a drive on the 101 than take take the I-10. They would also prefer easier parking than trying to find parking in downtown.

5. Tribal land makes the most sense. Put it on the 101 whether it is in Talking Stick or 202 intersection.

6. I'm happy with a downtown location or east valley.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,325,823 times
A new owner might help but it is not a sure thing-

Coyotes owner buys out fellow owners, time to pretend this helps build new arena somehow | Field of Schemes

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...hip/391223001/

Old 06-13-2017, 08:32 AM

586 posts, read 544,037 times
It seems you have assumed East Valley means North Scottsdale from your drive scenario.
I have no data but I'm told that lower East Side make up a large portion of East Side STH'ers. And you need to make up the almost 40% of West Side STH'ers, and really you have no way to know or prove that it is going to happen. It's very possible that the Canadian Dollar would have as much of a effect on tickets sold as arena location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
1. The population is greater in the east valley so there are more fans to draw from

2. Of course they will fill the remainder of seats with east valley fans. The demand from the east valley was so high that they drove so far to fill the stadium. Now that it will be closer, the probability that more fans will attend the game will increase.

3. It makes sense that most of the cheaper seats were filled with west valley fans. Fans from the east valley have to drive far so it's likely these same fans will spend the necessary money for a good seat. You are not going to drive 90 minutes in traffic to sit in 10 dollar seats in the upper level.

4. The concern with keeping it in downtown is you will have the same arguments for not attending games like you have now ie traffic. East Valley fans would rather take a drive on the 101 than take take the I-10. They would also prefer easier parking than trying to find parking in downtown.

5. Tribal land makes the most sense. Put it on the 101 whether it is in Talking Stick or 202 intersection.

6. I'm happy with a downtown location or east valley.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,395,280 times
Quote:
It seems you have assumed East Valley means North Scottsdale from your drive scenario.
I have no data but I'm told that lower East Side make up a large portion of East Side STH'ers. And you need to make up the almost 40% of West Side STH'ers, and really you have no way to know or prove that it is going to happen. It's very possible that the Canadian Dollar would have as much of a effect on tickets sold as arena location.
Yes, there is this myth that 100% of the East Valley fanbase is from Scottsdale and that no such fanbase exists in the lower East Valley. A significant portion of the fanbase also comes from Chandler and Gilbert as well and perhaps even Ahwatukee.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You actually accomplished the opposite. You just proved the majority of season ticket holders are from the East Valley and the overwhelming majority of exclusive seat owners are from the east valley. If anything, you just proved that the team would be more successful with a relocation to the East Valley and would likely sell more seats.
As someone who lives in Central Phoenix, I would rather they move back downtown

Old 06-13-2017, 09:37 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
As someone who lives in Central Phoenix, I would rather they move back downtown
Almost anywhere is better than where they are. Glendale is a pit and a PITA to get to.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 AM

586 posts, read 544,037 times
I never understand that logic?? It would be easier to get to Glendale and park that it would be to drive to Downtown and park from North Scottsdale. I understand it would be easier from lower East Valley. I'm in Estrella in the West Valley and drive to Glendale and Downtown are the same the ability to park and exit quickly would have me prefer Glendale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Almost anywhere is better than where they are. Glendale is a pit and a PITA to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area