Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
I never understand that logic?? It would be easier to get to Glendale and park that it would be to drive to Downtown and park from North Scottsdale. I understand it would be easier from lower East Valley. I'm in Estrella in the West Valley and drive to Glendale and Downtown are the same the ability to park and exit quickly would have me prefer Glendale.
This has be discussed to death, but if you factor in driving at rush hour time west on I-10 for a weekday game, it's a nightmare. I left for a Thursday night game once when I lived in Mesa at around -5:30-5:45 and missed the puck drop at 7:30. It may be easier to park there but getting there is NOT easy for a good majority of the valley, specifically on a weeknight.

Heading downtown you could always do a park & ride and take the lightrail. It would be great if they had the same agreement as the Suns that allowed you to ride for free with your ticket.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
I never understand that logic?? It would be easier to get to Glendale and park that it would be to drive to Downtown and park from North Scottsdale. I understand it would be easier from lower East Valley. I'm in Estrella in the West Valley and drive to Glendale and Downtown are the same the ability to park and exit quickly would have me prefer Glendale.
I could take the light rail to the arena if it were downtown, I live off 19th Ave between the Glendale and Montebello stops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
If you work in Midtown/Downtown, you get to drive into the Sun during rush hour to see a team that has no fans lose a game.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:20 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
You're in the minority. The vast majority of the population in the Phoenix metro area lives either in the city of Phoenix or the east Valley. The west Valley is growing, but the population is still not enough to support major league sports located in what is considered a far reaching location for most everybody else. The area where you are is sparsely populated in comparison to where the majority of the people live. Besides, it only makes sense to have entertainment & sports situated in a more central location where infrastructure & various forms of transit already exist, and people don't have to drive if they don't want to.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:24 PM

586 posts, read 542,793 times
I think the last few posters seem to be ignoring the fact that I wrote North Scottsdale and none of you wrote about that situation???

Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I think the last few posters seem to be ignoring the fact that I wrote North Scottsdale and none of you wrote about that situation???
Same. Heading west in general on a weeknight is not something most people want to do if they don't have to.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Not even close to the same. To leave North Scottsdale and head for GRA or Talking Stick will see no easy ride but when you include parking and exiting GRA is easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Same. Heading west in general on a weeknight is not something most people want to do if they don't have to.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think that is the rule most places, except maybe LA

Old 06-13-2017, 03:32 PM

GRA is about 30 miles from North Scottsdale. For most of the NHL season sunset is before 6:30. Half of the season is before 6 pm. Game time is 7 most games. That would require very little driving into the Sun time for North Scottsdale residents wishing to attend Coyotes games.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Not even close to the same. To leave North Scottsdale and head for GRA or Talking Stick will see no easy ride but when you include parking and exiting GRA is easier.
I did a quick Google map from DC Ranch (a random north Scottsdale place)

To Gila River Arena at 5:45 PM it is typically 45 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes. Route all orange/red. (shortest route 35.2 miles)

To Talking Stick Arena 35 to 55 min, all green. (29 miles)

Which would you say is easier?

Easier still, grab a park & ride and light rail down to the game (at 19th Ave & Dunlap, for example, a quick few minutes off the 51 if that is your route south) and not worry about parking downtown at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area