Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 07:52 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Vast majority of fans are transplants. Natives didn't grow up around the game. Seemingly the only natives that are into hockey are the kids of transplants. Even if they have a "home" team, they still support the Coyotes until they play their home team.
The roadrunners? We natives had hockey before NHL. And at one point the Coyotes sold tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The roadrunners? We natives had hockey before NHL. And at one point the Coyotes sold tickets.
We used to go to RR games with people from work. RRs were cheaper, better promoted, and much more fun than Coyote games. The location was much better too, at least for where I was working. Being young and kidless was probably the biggest factor, though.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:29 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,019,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The Blackhawks are a draw for anyone anywhere, regardless of where you are from because THEY WIN!

The Coyotes need to take a lesson.
This is a recent phenomenon. There was a time within the past 15 years when the United Center had more visiting fans when Detroit and St. Louis came to town and they did not always have success in drawing here.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You are comparing the roadrunners to an NHL team? A lot of small cities including Oklahoma City have had a minor league hockey team for over 20 years. That doesn't mean hockey was a part of the Oklahoma lexicon. Hockey didn't really become embraced by the community until the Coyotes arrived. I was around when the RR were here. The RR were a novelty on the same level as the Rattlers...hardly the same. When the Coyotes arrived, it took it to another level. More ice arenas were built. Both high school and recreational leagues started to emerge.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-15-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,325,823 times
well in related news- Suns ownership says it prefers to renovate Talking Stick than to build a new joint arena with the Coyotes (although I guess this position might change)

Suns owner: We want to stay put in renovated NBA-only arena, or else … something | Field of Schemes

Phoenix Suns' Robert Sarver says Coyotes-Suns shared site 'highly unlikely'

Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
well in related news- Suns ownership says it prefers to renovate Talking Stick than to build a new joint arena with the Coyotes (although I guess this position might change)

Suns owner: We want to stay put in renovated NBA-only arena, or else … something | Field of Schemes

Phoenix Suns' Robert Sarver says Coyotes-Suns shared site 'highly unlikely'
I'm glad to hear they've got a dose of reality, a new stadium would've been a long shot.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,262,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The Coyotes shared the same arena as the Suns until 2003. Why don't they still share it? Sharing the same arena is pretty common.

The location of the arena has been talked to death on this thread. I think a West Valley location is absurd. One thing that people haven't said regarding this issue is the demographics. The East Valley is more affluent meaning more people can afford to attend the games.

When I lived in Phoenix, hockey was fairly popular. I played amateur hockey there.

My wife and I go to the Ducks and Kings games a lot. When we lived in San Jose, we went to the Sharks games. It may seem strange but I am a fan of all the 3 teams. I am more a fan of the game itself than a team worshipper.
The shared arena was awful fur hockey. Aside from the financial issues off being a guest, it was just bad. Capacity was low, many seats were restricted view where in the upper level you couldn't see a goal

The NHL has done a terrible job with stewardship. Combine that with 1 season where they actually won a playoff series and many more in the basement, a lockout, an economic crash, bad/unstable ownership - a whole lot to overcome to be a draw

Old 07-20-2017, 05:02 PM

975 posts, read 1,409,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
The shared arena was awful fur hockey. Aside from the financial issues off being a guest, it was just bad. Capacity was low, many seats were restricted view where in the upper level you couldn't see a goal

The NHL has done a terrible job with stewardship. Combine that with 1 season where they actually won a playoff series and many more in the basement, a lockout, an economic crash, bad/unstable ownership - a whole lot to overcome to be a draw
The best thing for everyone involved (except for hockey fans in the Valley) is for the Coyotes to move somewhere else and for the Suns to renovate the downtown arena.

A new arena for hockey (without the Suns) is going to be a colossal waste of money with no guarantee of success. Even if a new arena is built, there's still a chance that the team will still be on shaky ground financially and may still skip town in 10 years (and then over the course of 25 years we'll have built 2 arenas for them with no team).

The arena in Glendale could have a 2nd life as a mixture of a Main Event type place or an amateur sports facility (see what is happening to the Kemper Arena in Kansas City as an example):

Mosaic Arena |

Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
The best thing for everyone involved (except for hockey fans in the Valley) is for the Coyotes to move somewhere else and for the Suns to renovate the downtown arena.

A new arena for hockey (without the Suns) is going to be a colossal waste of money with no guarantee of success. Even if a new arena is built, there's still a chance that the team will still be on shaky ground financially and may still skip town in 10 years (and then over the course of 25 years we'll have built 2 arenas for them with no team).

The arena in Glendale could have a 2nd life as a mixture of a Main Event type place or an amateur sports facility (see what is happening to the Kemper Arena in Kansas City as an example):

Mosaic Arena |
The only option IMO should be that the Coyotes work out a partnership with ASU or the Suns and build in either Tempe or Phoenix or just leave.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post

Mosaic Arena |
That's why a stadium has to be in the east valley. The team is going to be bad for the next 3-4 years. People won't drive to downtown for the same reasons they won't drive to Glendale. The overwhelming majority of fans are in the east valley. If the team is in the east valley, they will still watch games even if the team is bad because of proximity. But move that stadium to downtown and those same east valley fans will just stay home because it's not worth sitting in traffic to watch a game. My guess is they will work out a deal with the tribes in Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area