Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 08:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, I'm sure most of the Suns fans and D'baks fans and any other team in the valley you can name has the majority of their fanbase in the east valley. The east valley has the majority of people in the valley as well. The suns are looking for a new arena, we all know this. I see filling up an arena with events from 2 major sports leagues as a better option than just 1.
I think that while the east valley has the highest concentration of fans, that if you combined Phoenix and the West Valley you'd have more fans than just the East Valley. For that reason, a centralized location is always preferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 05:14 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,581,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think that while the east valley has the highest concentration of fans, that if you combined Phoenix and the West Valley you'd have more fans than just the East Valley. For that reason, a centralized location is always preferred.
Excellent point but pragmatically wherever offers the quickest path in terms of construction and more importantly, the most lucrative subsidy will be the preferred location. I'll stand by my at large wager.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure most of the Suns fans and D'baks fans and any other team in the valley you can name has the majority of their fanbase in the east valley. The east valley has the majority of people in the valley as well. The suns are looking for a new arena, we all know this. I see filling up an arena with events from 2 major sports leagues as a better option than just 1.
While that may be true, I wouldn't say it is as lopsided as the Coyotes fanbase. I am pretty sure the D-Backs have a sizeable fanbase from the West Valley. The Coyotes not so much.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 PM

8,649 posts, read 10,180,076 times
Quote:
What exactly is the population of the east valley?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What exactly is the population of the east valley?
1.5Million or so. If you count everyone east of Central Ave it's probably about 2.5.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:29 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Love to see where you got that 80% figure from?
You got me. It was only 70% That changes the argument completely

"Roughly 70% of the Coyotes' fan base is located in the East Valley area where the new arena will be built."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lanc/93818068/

"East-side buyers make up 77 percent of premium season tickets sold (on the glass, BMW Lounge, suites and loge boxes), and 78 percent of premium-seat revenue for the Coyotes. With non-premium packages in the upper and lower bowls, east-side residents account for 59 percent of seats sold and 67 percent of non-premium, full-season equivalent revenue."

https://arizonasports.com/story/1050...-not-glendale/

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-08-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
The east valley doesn't have the majority of the population. Phoenix by itself is larger than Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert and Queen Creek combined. And if you are referring to the "central valley" that includes more than Phoenix. There are more fans in the east valley because it's a relatively new community thus more transplants from the upper midwest moved there. You can't compare them to the Suns or Dbacks because hockey is primarily followed by fans from the midwest, Canada and the northeastern U.S.

People in the east valley are not going to drive an hour in rush hour to attend a Coyotes game in downtown. And unlike with the Suns and Dbacks, the Coyotes won't be able to pull enough fans from the other parts of the valley to fill those seats. If the stadium is off the 101, a lot of east valley fans will go to the games because it's in their backyard.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The east valley doesn't have the majority of the population. Phoenix by itself is larger than Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert and Queen Creek combined. And if you are referring to the "central valley" that includes more than Phoenix. There are more fans in the east valley because it's a relatively new community thus more transplants from the upper midwest moved there. You can't compare them to the Suns or Dbacks because hockey is primarily followed by fans from the midwest, Canada and the northeastern U.S.

People in the east valley are not going to drive an hour in rush hour to attend a Coyotes game in downtown. And unlike with the Suns and Dbacks, the Coyotes won't be able to pull enough fans from the other parts of the valley to fill those seats. If the stadium is off the 101, a lot of east valley fans will go to the games because it's in their backyard.
The West valley is newer and has more transplants. What is its excuse?

Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,929,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The West valley is newer and has more transplants. What is its excuse?
probably that the teams haven't been that good for enough years in a row to follow "fanatically"...

Old 07-08-2017, 09:10 AM

586 posts, read 542,929 times
You do know that premium seats and suites are nowhere near as many seats as the other catagories right?? Wonder why he didn't put numbers on it???
If I was guessing, just as the first article did, I would put it around 60%. But again it would be a guess. And very rich of Leblanc, a clown, to suggest that attendance in 15/16 is less than 03/04 because of arena location?? The team has been a bottom feeder for years now, with no ownership, bankruptcy, and now incompetent ownership under him. Give the City a decent team for a couple years and arena location would not be an issue. But I do agree a Central or East location would be better, I do not agree however that it would be a cure for how bad this team has been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You got me. It was only 70% That changes the argument completely

"Roughly 70% of the Coyotes' fan base is located in the East Valley area where the new arena will be built."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lanc/93818068/

"East-side buyers make up 77 percent of premium season tickets sold (on the glass, BMW Lounge, suites and loge boxes), and 78 percent of premium-seat revenue for the Coyotes. With non-premium packages in the upper and lower bowls, east-side residents account for 59 percent of seats sold and 67 percent of non-premium, full-season equivalent revenue."

https://arizonasports.com/story/1050...-not-glendale/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area