Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:23 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For the drive time, I used google maps. If you put another person in your car you can use the express lane and it will be a lot faster than "over an hour".

But you are right, if it really did take an hour, not many people will want to drive an hour to watch a game. Personally, I wouldn't. But it's a numbers game. In MN where 70,000 children are in organized youth hockey, they are by far more supported. So while a lot of people refuse to get stuck in traffic to drive to St. Paul MN, others will. In fact, the MN Wild have had streaks where they have sold out around 150 consecutive games. It's my belief that selling out 150 consecutive games couldn't possibly happen in Phoenix. Pick your location and the most winning record. I don't see that happening. As I said, it's a numbers fan and in this case, the fan base.

Question. If the stadium was 10 minutes away, how many hockey games are you going to attend?
For a long time it was. I went to 3-4 a season, usually to entertain clients. Now, they don’t want to go for obvious reasons. I do baseball now.

Try entering the timing during rush hour. That number will grow exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
For a long time it was. I went to 3-4 a season, usually to entertain clients. Now, they don’t want to go for obvious reasons. I do baseball now.

Try entering the timing during rush hour. That number will grow exponentially.
Obviously you've done the drive. It's fair to say at the drive time is heavily variable because of accidents and road construction. From my experience coming home from the Mayo at rush hour, it takes a bit of time unless I can use the Express lane. But as I said, if you put the stadium in Gilbert, Mesa or even Scottsdale, you will lose a lot of people from the west valley.

But you're bringing up an important point that I discussed earlier. You have chosen a different sport to entertain your clients. People often choose to support a team or two.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:41 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,581,369 times
With the entry of Seattle in the NHL, here's what the Coyotes division will look like:

Arizona
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Condolences to the next of kin...

Old 12-05-2018, 05:19 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
With the entry of Seattle in the NHL, here's what the Coyotes division will look like:

Arizona
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Condolences to the next of kin...
more games coming from the Midwest/Canada will be a huge boon.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:29 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,581,369 times
Quote:
Well yeah, there's that. It should be great to bring out the local visiting team supporters, not so good for the W-L column

Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,005,697 times
Bettman is using the time zone excuse now but this could be preparation for a move to Houston.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM

586 posts, read 542,929 times
It's a lot less Canada games.
Quote:

Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,367,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
It's a lot less Canada games.
Yeah, but an increased Chicago and Minnesota games. As for a Houston relo, the only way I think that could happen is if the current ownership sells the team to Tilman Fertitta the owner of the Rockets. I realize the Harris County - Houston Sports Authority owns and runs the Toyota Center, so maybe the current Yotes ownership could get a favorable lease deal if they wanted?

Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
Also, Houston has very little snowbird demand despite the comparable winter temperatures. That could be going against Houston's favor.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:03 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,005,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Also, Houston has very little snowbird demand despite the comparable winter temperatures. That could be going against Houston's favor.
Houston getting a team is the worst kept secret in the NHL. There's a suitor that simply has to make the call to Bettman. From there it's a matter of expansion or relocation. Coyotes are, unfortunately, ahead of Florida and Carolina on the relocation list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area