Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 PM

15,520 posts, read 9,222,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
That's the point.

Crony enriching politicians treat police officers as revenue generators, instead of the heroes they are.

I can't tell the difference between a traffic cop writing tickets and an IRS agent. Both are LEO's that generate revenue for their respective jurisdictions.
There is a very easy way to tell the difference, between the traffic cop and the IRS agent. The IRS agent collects revenue from inside an office. The traffic cop collects revenue while standing on the side of the road, and creating a traffic hazard. Of course the government has come up with a solution for that, Move Over laws. Which also conveniently serve as an excuse for them to collect even more revenue, with fines for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,258,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly! I could envision a defensive driving course for first timers and a longer advanced course for repeat offenders with freeway clean up time added for every subsequent offense. Of course license suspension and lifetime ban could be on the table for severe repeat offenders who just refuse to "get it"...
The last 10 times I got pulled over (in about the past 15 years), I was was let go or I fought the ticket. Each time it is because I'm always about going around 12-15 mph over the limit (67 in 55). Each offense I went to court, I paid a portion of the fine and the ticket didn't go on my record. But the key statement for the ticket to get dropped completely was so long as I didn't get a ticket inside of x months. They were passionate about getting the $$'s. Most of the time they want you to keep your nose clean for a year in order for it to get dropped. But I normally negotiate a year of a clean record to six months if I pay them the full ticket price. So if you are following, they want the funds. The county budgets for the $$'s. The last thing they want to do is have someone waste the judges time and spend more $$'s. So without question, this all comes down to the $$ more than keeping the roads safe.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,680,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I have it on my "to do list" to get a dashcam, mostly for my own documentation in case of any accidents. But it would be nice if one could submit video of a dangerous driver to police and have them act on it. I'd imagine it would have to be something that results in injury or death, though, before police would be interested in seeing video?
So, you'd be OK with getting a huge ticket in the mail because "Someone sent us a video of your car driving too fast"?

Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 5,123,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So, you'd be OK with getting a huge ticket in the mail because "Someone sent us a video of your car driving too fast"?

If I was driving 95mph when the flow of traffic was 75mph, sure. I said dangerous.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,703,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
If I was driving 95mph when the flow of traffic was 75mph, sure. I said dangerous.
You're ignoring due process. Your car moving at a high rate of speed, does not equal YOU breaking the law.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 5,123,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're ignoring due process. Your car moving at a high rate of speed, does not equal YOU breaking the law.

Whatever. It's all a moot point anyway...

Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 AM

656 posts, read 817,877 times
I see people speeding constantly and rarely see anyone pulled over, so ....YES.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,703,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I see people speeding constantly and rarely see anyone pulled over, so ....YES.
Increasing speeding fines would solve this how?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,940,233 times
excessive speeders, 25mph over+, should be jailed, not ticketed..maybe the threat of jail would make them think twice about putting other drivers around them in jeopardy..

Old 06-06-2018, 02:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 12,409,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
excessive speeders, 25mph over+, should be jailed, not ticketed..maybe the threat of jail would make them think twice about putting other drivers around them in jeopardy..
Note that Arizona actually has a law where going more than 20 mph over the speed limit, or over 85 mph regardless of the posted speed limit, is considered a criminal offense. Many people seem to be unaware of this law, probably making it difficult to enforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area