Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 01:46 PM

576 posts, read 832,710 times

Advertisements

There are lots of people sitting in prison right now because they killed someone when they thought they should be able to go as fast as they want, or text while driving, or drive drunk, etc, etc. THAT is why the laws are on the books.

But the sad thing about the human species is most of us can't seem to learn from other people's mistakes. So we end up killing someone ourselves before we learn the lesson. Guess what? Those people in prison thought it would never happen to them either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
one last thing on this issue..

some of you think its ok to text and drive; here's why I think its wrong

i was driving my son to school one morning in a brand new ford fusion hybrid, sitting stopped at a red light, and some jerk bait was texting and driving his daddys new pickup, texting and not paying attention to driving...here's a picture of what he did to me and my son, and thank god we were in a hybrid car with a giant battery in the trunk/back seat, or we would have met our maker that day... back seat got pushed into the driver and passengers back seat, since he hit us at 45 mph..think about this photo next time you are texting and driving..
No one said that it’s OK to text and drive. Why make things up?

Old 10-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made in china View Post
I moved to Seattle 17 years ago from Phoenix. I HATE the drivers here. Subarus and gold or tan colored Toyota products just wandering around at -10MPH in the fast lane. You'll go to pass them (on the right, of course) and somehow they try and speed up. Someone who I was doing 50 behind is now doing 67, and I will pace them like that until my gap closes then I will cut them off. I don't know if it is them being passive aggressive or brain dead. Maybe they just follow whatever other moving object there is? And without a reference, they slow way down.
Our Highway Patrol has been doing left lane emphasis patrols it has become so bad.

When I visit Arizona, it is a breath of "fresh air", I let the turbo spool and enjoy the high average road speeds.

In Seattle, we have many CA transplants, so we are starting to see more and more people giving the slow drivers "on road lessons".

So, no. I would say everything is fine in AZ (Phoenix area) compared to places like Seattle.
Don’t think brain dead left lane hogs are not prevalent around here too. Everyday I see the exact situation you describe. People incapable of maintaining a constant speed or using cruise control are commonplace. It’s pretty infuriating.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No one said that it’s OK to text and drive. Why make things up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Honestly, if I have an email or text pop up and I feel it's safe enough to check, I don't at all consider the legality of it in the state I'm in. Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't do it, but it being illegal in certain places doesn't cross my mind.
I guess you admitting that you are ok with checking a text /email while driving if you feel its "safe" doesn't constitute texting while driving...

Old 10-28-2017, 04:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
If you drive the speed limit you will get rear ended.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I guess you admitting that you are ok with checking a text /email while driving if you feel its "safe" doesn't constitute texting while driving...
Of course that’s texting and driving. When did I say it wasn’t? I said I know I shouldn’t do it. How does that equal my being OK with it? I know it’s not smart. We all do dumb things from time to time. It doesn’t mean we don’t acknowledge the potential risk. You saying that “some people think it’s OK to text and drive” is something you made up to try to prove a point.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
If you drive the speed limit you will get rear ended.
I disagree. You'd get rear-ended by braking hard, and as we know the norm here is to ride the next guy's bumper within a few feet. That's why when somebody is right on my rear, I resist the urge to be looking in my rear view mirror and getting flustered. Because if you do that, you might wind up hitting the car in front you if they brake suddenly. Don't be distracted by the jerk behind you. I'd rather be rear ended than to rear end somebody else. At least I wouldn't be the one at fault.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:25 PM

13,284 posts, read 7,330,443 times
People that drive 85 90 all the time will eventually get caught just matter of time I do get up that fast for a few seconds sometimes trying to pass or get over. I did once get a ticket for going 90 mph 20 years ago on I-40 It wasn't a felony I paid a big fine and go to traffic school. I typically drive 10-12 over the speed limit in the city I just can't stand driving slow like 40 mph I usually do 50 haven't been pulled over in 15 years.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:38 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,300,376 times
Wait until cars are self driving and only go the speed limit... It will be a nightmare.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM

576 posts, read 832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Wait until cars are self driving and only go the speed limit... It will be a nightmare.

Actually, once ALL cars are self driving, it will be much safer, since everyone will be going the same speed. In the interim, it could be interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area